Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2018, 01:35 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
my dad and I did a 4 day in Idaho rafting trip that was a blast. boy I miss him.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
If you are into the Appalachians, then you could check out Gatlinburg and the surrounding areas. The drive on the Blue Ridge Pkwy and Skyline drive is beautiful. Also check out US 129 in Tennessee into NC called "The Tail of The Dragon," which is 318 curves in 11 miles. Absolutely awesome on a bike, but probably pretty cool in a car.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
Our first choice was Yellowstone. However, since we need to take our trip May 7-11, it seems too early based on research. Same for Yosemite. Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park might be good options.

I'll look into your other suggestions. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2018, 03:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2015 X23 w/ 6.2
We did a two week camping trip from Missouri to Grand Canyon. We camped at the east side of Estes Park (lots of elk) and the West side (more moose). We saw Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verda, Pikes Peak and the Durango Silverston Railroad. Avoid the Royal Gorge - it is a giant tourist trap now a days, nothing like what I remembered as a child.

It was a lot of driving, so on your schedule I would skip Grand Canyon. I truly love Estes Park - there is so much to see and enjoy. Lots of hiking trails and plenty of wild life to watch.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
my dad and I did a 4 day in Idaho rafting trip that was a blast. boy I miss him.
This. Iíve rafted the Colorado River and Salmon River with my dad. Both trips were absolutely unforgettable. Iíll be doing the same trips with my boys when they get older. You probably wonít be able to do it this time, since I think the CO gets booked a year in advance, and youíd probably want a warmer weather month to do it in. June-August would be ideal, especially for the CO; that river water is friggin COLD. Even in the middle of summer the water temp is like 40 degrees.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 08 SANTE 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscrib View Post

It was a lot of driving, so on your schedule I would skip Grand Canyon. I truly love Estes Park - there is so much to see and enjoy. Lots of hiking trails and plenty of wild life to watch.
Estes Park is excellent wildlife, they also sport the Stanley hotel which claims to be haunted (it's the hotel where the Stephen King wrote the Shining and was in the Lamborghini scene in Dumb and Dumber) They give haunted tours at night. quirky fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stanley_Hotel
Old 02-28-2018, 04:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
I know you said "don't wanna fly", but hear me out...

Fly in to Portland or Seattle and get a one-way rental car to LAX. Spend the next 5 days driving the Hwy 101/ PCH 1 from Washington to Socal. Fly out of LAX back home. It is a solid 2 day trip just to fly into San Fran and one-way rent to LAX and drive the PCH, but it is amazing and well worth it. I have made that trip twice and really want to do the Washington/Oregon to LAX, but just haven't had the time for a longer trip.

Or, if you are fit and adventurous, drive to the Leadville, Buena Vista areas in Colorado and do 5 one-day hikes up to high mountain lakes and fish. Or, try some 14'ers. Or, do 3 one-day hikes and spend another two days farther north in Estes. The hiking and high alpine fishing in that country is pretty amazing.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
great idea ... buy a new to you boat on the other side of the country and visit all the great spots/national parks on the way

Buy boat

Ski/wakeboard/surf in every state on the way back
Old 02-28-2018, 06:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
What's your son in to? Do something he wants to do. In to pro sports? Hit a couple of arenas or ballparks around the country. Hiking, plenty of amazing national parks around. Like food? Hit different parts of the country to try regional specialties- BBQ, pizza, whatever.
Whatever you decide, I think the thing is to make it about your son- what he wants to do, what he wants to see. That will make it a trip to remember.
G
Old 02-28-2018, 09:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
Talked to my son tonight. Sounds like he is going to put a trip together which includes Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon with a variety of activities. Fly into Vegas, rent vehicle. Make memories.