Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-06-2017, 06:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft prostar 1989 351
Keep the Honda all of them I have had where Super reliable.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
I ran my last Honda to 270K miles without a single issue. Keep it and get better tires that have less road noise.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:51 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt37803 View Post
Daily driver. Use as a service vehicle. 35k a year. Cant beat 32Mpg and hundreds of smiles per gallon.
Looks like you bought it because anything bigger wouldn't fit!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 11-07-2017, 06:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
I ran my last Honda to 270K miles without a single issue. Keep it and get better tires that have less road noise.

Also consider downsizing wheels one size for ride and noise improvement. More sidewall. I went from 17" to 16". My wheels were shot though, so had to buy wheels anyway.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft prostar 1989 351
Another thing to consider is resale a Honda or Toyota will give you the best return.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
Appreciate the feedback. I did put new tires on Honda last year which were rated to be one of the quietest on the market.

Here is where I ended:

Son is graduating from college in the spring and needs a more reliable car. Selling him the 2010 Accord at 20% off KBB.

Saturday, the wife and I test drove a 2015 Accord EXL, 2016 Camry XLE and 2017 Malibu LT. Malibu had the leather and convenience/technology packages.

Honda has the nicest interior. Drives well. Comfortable seats. The firmest ride. All around great car. Toyota rides soft and is comfortable to drive but I didn't like the interior layout very much, especially the gauges. Not bad, just a bit disappointing. Both the Accord and Camry had very disappointing stereos. Surprising since these were the top of the line trim levels.

Malibu had a very nice ride and comfortable interior. Drove better than Toyota but not as 'fun' as the Accord. Best rated MPG of the three. After taking all things into consideration I am going with the '17 Malibu.

Why?
Brother-in-law sells them so I can help him out a bit.
Far superior factory stereo sound. (9 speaker Bose)
Apple Car Play.
Late 2016/2017 redesign is getting very good reviews
remote start with free 1 year phone app. (Neither the Honda or Camry had remote start)

Although I am giving up dual temp, moonroof and memory seats, the car seems to be the best one for us. Yes, I will take a larger hit on depreciation. Never owned a car that was only one year old.

Last edited by LaRue; 11-13-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
good choice ... I upgraded my commuter car about a year ago and went with the redesigned 2016 Chevy Cruze (exact same as 2017 but cheaper when the '17s rolled out) ... currently at ~16k miles, have averaged 39.6 mpg over that 16k. Most of my driving is pre-rush hour traffic (sorta) on IH35 about 80-85 miles round trip each work day. Open highway 800 mile round trip averaged 38.2 but was running 80-90 mph in hilly country.

I believe the Malibu is just slightly bigger and if you keep your foot out of it and let off instead of hard braking, you should get in the mid 30s mpg. 99% of the time, it's just me in my commuter car, so I don't need the extra space ... my minimum requirements were max MPG, A/C, Automatic, light color and enough leg/head/shoulder room for me (6'3") ... the KIA/Hyundai/Honda/Toyota commuter size cars my legs were jammed into the dash/console with seat all the way back was a no-starter for me.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Nice job and congratulations! I'm sure it will be a great car for your needs.

1994 205, LT1
Old 11-22-2017, 04:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
So, with a bit of embarrassment I share the following in order to glean some advice. I took the Malibu on a 4 hour trip the day I purchased it. I found myself trying to get comfortable in the driver seat and never quite succeeding. The past couple of days as do my daily driving I am repeatedly adjusting the power seat and lumbar. I am bit concerned as I don't want to be in a car that has a driver's seat that I guess I would say, feels small.

1. Is this just over thinking and I need time to adjust to new seat?
2. Is it just next to impossible for my 6'3" frame to be comfortable in anything other than a full size car, pickup or SUV?

I have toyed with the idea of asking to returning car but don't want to overreact or be an a**

I am not sure if it makes a difference, but I am waiting to pay for tax, title and license until I am more settled about the unsettling driver's seat. Can I even return or trade car without this paperwork?

Thanks for listening and your thoughts are welcomed.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Return

In TN you have either 3 or 7 days (can't remember) to return a vehicle to the dealer...