Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Boats

Old 12-08-2018, 11:35 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1977 mastercraft
Salt water x2

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2012-Ma...ork-91142.aspx

Little curious/nervous about a salt water boat, I think this is a decent price but for some reason I canít get over the salt water usage. Any thoughts?
Old 12-08-2018, 01:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Sold - X2 2006 MCX
Nothing will beat an in-person inspection but
it looks pretty decent in the pictures and has closed cooling. With the low hours and some warranty remaining I wouldn't make it a deal breaker. Just go into the deal knowing that there's a greater chance it may require a few salt water related maintenance items at some point.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks19 View Post
https://www.onlyinboards.com/2012-Ma...ork-91142.aspx

Little curious/nervous about a salt water boat, I think this is a decent price but for some reason I canít get over the salt water usage. Any thoughts?
And you shouldn't. The boat looks very clean especially for a saltwater boat however it is still a saltwater boat. IMO the boat is priced low even for a saltwater boat and the time of year however pictures can be deceiving as to actual condition. The driver's seat would appear to have significant damage at the top right, back portion of the seat. There are also some other cushions that seem to have wrinkles in the vinyl and the vertical bench seat cushion doesn't look right however that could just be the picture. The platform pad is pulling up which would need to be replaced and hopefully the name on the boat is done is vinyl and can easily be removed.

2012 wasn't the high point for electronics in MasterCrafts as they were using the Medallion Viper system which was/is buggy and replaced with another system the next year. The good news is that it doesn't have the touch screen but I'm not sure if the issues extended past the touch screen.

From an options perspective it appears to be a fairly base boat. It does have a heater but no heated seats and there are no tower speakers

Is the trailer included with the sale price? Based on the wheels it's a much older trailer, the yellow fenders don't match the boat, nor does it seem to fit the boat correctly and I didn't see in there any mention of a trailer but I could have missed that.

Being 6 to 7 seasons old (depending on purchase date) and seeing saltwater for that much time I'd be very careful about this boat. The boat appears to be owned by a dealer and dealers are not known for giving out smoking deals. I have a feeling they have it priced the way it is for a very good reason.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:13 PM
TT Newbie

I’m not familiar with salt water operations what are somethings I need to be aware of?
Old 12-08-2018, 05:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
Do you need a salt water boat?

That one looks clean but it's hard to tell from the pics. 2012 is not the best year for Mastercraft but that model does not have the big screen with all the issues so you should be fine. You really need to get down in the bilge and look for signs of rust and wear. Also keep in mind that a lot in the inboard community hate the word salt and wouldn't give it a look making selling it difficult.

There is an older version of this hull for sale down here in Texas but it's the Maristar version, price is less and so are the hours.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/bo...761564833.html
Old 12-08-2018, 05:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post

Is the trailer included with the sale price? Based on the wheels it's a much older trailer, the yellow fenders don't match the boat, nor does it seem to fit the boat correctly and I didn't see in there any mention of a trailer but I could have missed that.

for a very good reason.
Yeah, trailer looks to be from a different bot. Bunks seem to stick out beyond the hull in the back.

To me at near $40K its not enticing enough to get past the saltwater use.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:41 PM
TT Newbie

That’s kinda been my thoughts avoid salt
Old 12-08-2018, 11:49 PM

Boat: XT22
I wouldn't rule out a SWS boat. But I'd check it out thoroughly. Heck the only thing keeping me from dropping mine in the ocean is this site.....(I kid) Not sure how it has a transferable warranty. That indicates that it wasn't registered until 2/9/2015...on a 2012 boat. But the warranty alone offers a lot of comfort.
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
That's not an X 2 trailer but it looks to fit ok.
Could be a great boat, but not for someone who doesn't know anything about boats.
There's plenty of $40k X2s out there to not mess with the questionable ones, IMO.

Pros:
Cheap 2012 X2

Cons:
Cheap 2012 X2 for sale by a dealer, so seemingly cheap and dealer in the same sentence means buyer beware.
No tower speakers
Seat damage
Salt water
POS wrong trailer
Likely no verifiable history from the prev owner.

Those are the top 6 reasons just looking at the pics.
For comparison, my 250 hour 06 with more options and guaranteed 100% better cared for than that boat is worth about $40k on a good day. And it's a less complicated and easier to repair boat than that one.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old Today, 02:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
this is cheap for a few obvious reasons. A few for which I like. 1. this boat for a 2012 doesn't have the digital display, which sucked in my opinion. So that's 1 headache you don't have to worry about. 2. its a saltwater boat, I personally don't see an issue with this. It has a galvanized trailer which I like and the closed cooling system which I like. I'm much rather have a SWS boat that i know was in saltwater vs a fresh water boat in brackish water (lots more hidden issues). It also doesn't have the surf tabs which was an option in this year range.

I say go check the boat out, might be a good deal. I don't see a reason to pass over it. It's priced based on options in my opinion.