Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-06-2017, 06:13 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1979 Classic
Shift cable

I have a 1979 stars & stripes. Shift cable is bound up, she will not go into gear. My mechanic said to buy a new cable and he will install it. Where do I get one? What do I buy? Do the universal control cables work?
Old 02-06-2017, 07:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft, 1998 ProStar 205
I have a 79 as well and if you have any mechanical aptitude at all you can fix it yourself and doubt you need a new one unless it is really screwed up.

First you need to disconnect from tranny which is very easy, a cotter pin,unscrew throttle from drivers side and fish or pull cable out completely. After the cable is completely pulled out check for kinks and smoothness of operation in a straight line laying it out straight. I am guessing it might be bound up inside the hull. Spray some lube in the sheath around the cable, work back and forth. It should be a smooth glide. If it doesn't slide easily the your cable is probably bad. When you reinstall make sure there are no severe bends in the cable and you should be fine. Pull the cable and see what you got. It's fairly easy.
Just saying I had this problem with mine and it has been working fine for years.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Mastercraft X-30 and 2000 Prostar 190
I did mine a couple of years ago. Hardest part was getting the side panel off on the driver's side. Need to have monkey like skills with slim arms and a long reach for mine. I had called SkiDim and went to my dealer for cable information on what length to get. Decided since I got two different answers, to dive in, take it apart and get the actual part number detail off the cable. Turned out to be the right thing to do. Both answers were from reliable and genuinely helpful folks, but they were both different from what I took out. Not a bad job to complete really - sorry I don't recall who I bought it from but it was about $55 at the time delivered and the job came out pretty well. I did post a project thread on here with pictures, etc.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 02-07-2017, 02:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Mastercraft X-30 and 2000 Prostar 190
Here's the link:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ht=trans+cable

After reading the posts to the end, it looks like I owe some more details on the end results, but I don't think I still have the pictures since I replaced my phone

Either way, there is a lot of help from others with other links in here for your project review.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:16 PM
TT Newbie

The cable that attaches to the transmission is frayed and I would like to replace it. My mechanic is suggesting to change out the steering cable as well. A local company has quoted $450 for the 2, not to be installed, just for the cables. I thought that was ridiculous, so I am looking for ideas of where to buy them.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibpokie View Post
The cable that attaches to the transmission is frayed and I would like to replace it. My mechanic is suggesting to change out the steering cable as well. A local company has quoted $450 for the 2, not to be installed, just for the cables. I thought that was ridiculous, so I am looking for ideas of where to buy them.
Snap out of it.... Forget the theft... damn that is just absolute robbery.

Buy the two cables from one of several places. For this 81 I am rebuilding I have recently bought cables from wholesale marine dot com, first choice marine dot com, ebasic power dot com, and Discount Inboard Marine (skidim dot com). I am over Discount Inboard Marine's service and delays with excuses of "we are busy, leave a message." Doesn't get it with me after half dozen calls on different occasions. That and their shipping is high, but merely my observations and choice. I found other places just as friendly and less hassle.

While you have the throttle assembly apart, replace both the shifter cable and the throttle cable. Both inexpensive. Steering cable is easy too. Just a little time and patience. Everything is pretty much plug and play for all of the cables. You should not need any new connectors as you can cannibalize the old cables and get those for reuse. They typically will not be trashed out.

Take photos of the disassembly. Nothing complicated but nice to have.

Put the cables on yourself. If you can plug in an electrical cord to an outlet, you can replace the cables.

You can plug in an electrical cord, yes?

I also de-greased the assembly plate and housing and re-packed with new grease and also stripped the old paint and repainted the housing. Just an idea while you have it apart. Gunk engine cleaner and a Dollar Store pie tin.

First Choice Marine - steering - $109 to my door, Control cable (16 ft) $34 and (17 ft) $35 - $76 to my door.

Throttle - UFLC2X16 , shifter - UFLC2X17, steering TFX-SSC6216. You have the Big T style helm steering assembly. Make sure you get the quick connect adapter if your (current OEM) Big-T does not have it. Nothing but a quick connect gadget that locks the newer style cables into place onto the helm (if required). You'll know when you get under the dash. Remove the driver's seat for ease of access.

John 3:16-18

Last edited by waterlogged882; 02-07-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:53 PM
TT Newbie

Yes, I can plug in an electrical cord, my issue is time. That is why I am willing to have a mechanic do the work. He is also replacing exhaust gaskets, which I know how to do, as well. If I do it all, it might be a month before she's running again.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:59 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Yes, I can plug in an electrical cord, my issue is time. That is why I am willing to have a mechanic do the work. He is also replacing exhaust gaskets, which I know how to do, as well. If I do it all, it might be a month before she's running again.
Cables can be replaced in less than half-a-Saturday but your time is your call. If you have someone lined up, then all the better for your plans.

Exhaust (manifold) gaskets or riser gaskets?

Old 02-07-2017, 06:08 PM
TT Newbie

Both exhaust and valve gaskets.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:12 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Both exhaust and valve gaskets.
10-4

You'll also need riser gaskets (exhaust manifold to riser) while you are ordering the cables. Be sure and get the riser gaskets for a PCM engine. I like the silver graphite impregnated gaskets for the risers. The white paper gaskets will leak sooner than later. Put your exhaust hoses onto the risers before you bolt the risers to the manifold. Use anti-seize on all bolted and hosed connections.