Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 04-11-2017, 08:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 mastercraft CSX, mcx350.
Hydrostatic mower question.

I have a bad azz, L111 hydrostatic mower for 13 years now (knock on wood). I've changed the oil twice, grease the hubs, and plugs once....Oh ya!! I tricked it out!! (With bling, bling). LED head lights (7k), and tail lights( super bright red ). I am on flat land, only cut 1/2 acre. I plow snow with it as well.

Best looking lawn mower in the hood, and I've got my money's worth out of it. 👍👍 I give it two thumbs up.

Sent from using my stupid Iphone.

Last edited by waterbuffalo; 04-11-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
Zero turn mowers are faster and more maneuverable but can be treacherous on step inclines. Some of the bigger ones are more stable but the ones that really handle it well are the stand up versions. In the John Deer world that would be a QuickTrack stand up but that's like 4x the cost of what he's currently looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscrib View Post
Not sure how much land you mow, so my answer may not be relevant.

I live in a subdivision where all the lots are 3+ mowed acres . When someone who has not previously mowed that much land moves into the subdivision they almost always buy a large (54+ inch deck) garden tractor type mower. In about 2-3 years, they are selling that and buying a zero turn mower. I did the same thing. I cut my mow time in 1/2 going from a tractor to zero turn mower.

I believe that all zero turn mowers are hydraulic controlled and I have had no issues with those. Unless you are 100% sure you are going to do something other than mow with the tractor, then I suggest you re-think and go zero-turn. You can pull a trailer with many zero-turns, so things like spreaders, sprayers, utility trailer are all options (check the brand/model you are looking at to confirm).
Old 04-12-2017, 01:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
zero turn... or if you need a tractor look for a used 318 or 322 332 etc.. make sure they don't smoke or drip oil... and you would be good to go.. those are workhorses.. i juts got a 318 last year with 1200 hours for my hunting land... puts the new stuff to shame...
Old 04-12-2017, 01:55 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 PS197, MCX, Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
I am looking into purchasing a riding mower to help out a neighbor at the lake. In order to get from my house to the neighbors, I will have to go up my asphalt driveway, which is about 150 feet long and at least a 35 degree incline. Our old golf cart with the belt/clutch has no problem going up the driveway with me, the wife, and our 90 lb. dog on it.
I was at Lowe’s last night getting ready to purchase a John Deere D110 and I was chatting with another customer, and he said that I should stay away from a hydrostatic mower if I had to go up a steep incline. Checking online, the opinions seem about 50/50. Any of you guys have any experience with this?
A wise man once told me, "Never buy a John Deere that has a #1 as the first position of the model number because they are junk." Since this wise man is a friend I took his word for it.....Oh yea, and he managed a John Deere tractors service department which gave me more reason to believe him.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2230 View Post
It's all about how tough the hydro components are. In my mind residential = no way and commercial = no worries. The D110 comes with a Tuff Torq TLT200A transmission. It looks pretty residential grade to me. If you decide to roll the dice at least change the fluid regularly.
Yup, what you said.
Any light duty residential mower would work OK for mowing the extra lawn, it's just not going to cut the mustard trying to pull my driveway (it scares the crap out people the first time they see it). Being hydrostatic is not the problem, it's the size of the components like you and CP stated. I don't know all of the model codes, but one Deere dealer just took in a LA5 series on trade with a manual transmission for $800 that I'm going to look at.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft, 1998 ProStar 205
I would never buy another mower without a hydrostatic transmission regardless of grade or whatever
The D series JD mowers are far inferior to the JD series sold at a local Deere dealer so I am sure the components are as well.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Found a 2014, garage kept X300 on Craigslist for $1900 (minor cosmetic things). I was looking for a 48 inch but this is a 42. Leveled the deck, sharpened the blades, and mowed my lawn at home in no time. The 42 will work great for my needs at the lake.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2017, 09:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
Nice find!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
X300 is a decent lawn tractor. Important to remember it is belt driven. If you start to skip or not make the hill, you're due for a drive belt. When you change the belt change the idler pulleys too. The load you're talking about is not s huge factor for this model. X300 uses the same transaxle as the D series. Belt is designed to fail before the transaxle.
Nice score!
Old 04-27-2017, 12:21 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
Not trying to sell you anything, I'm not associated with the company in any way, other than as a customer, but you might check out www.crankyape.com for a used zero turn or mower. It is an online auction . I picked up a Hustler ZTR 54" deck in GREAT shape for $1700...
Just don't bid against me !