Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 05:26 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Sportstar
Question 2000 Sportstar OJ vs Acme and PP vs Ride Stead

Ok, I have several questions. I am upgrading my 2000 Sportstar and need some input. I mostly wakeboard, but also enjoy riding and pulling kids on tubes.

Props:

Current prop OJ Legend 13 13 4 Blade.

I am pretty sure I have a 1:1 transmission and 310HP Predator Engine.

I have spoken with OJ(13/11) and ACME(13x13) and both recommend 3 blade props.

Question: Am I going to gain much over my old prop? Which company and pitch should I go with?

Speed control:

Ride Steady or Perfect Pass?

Thanks for all input!
Old 09-18-2018, 07:56 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Sporkcraft
ACME 541 13x12 all day long. It'll increase your hole shot and give you some top end. Best prop for a 1:1 boat.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:18 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Sportstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
ACME 541 13x12 all day long. It'll increase your hole shot and give you some top end. Best prop for a 1:1 boat.
Thanks!! Now where to buy? Are all 541's 1" Shaft?
Old 09-18-2018, 10:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Almost certain Mastercraft went to 1 1/8" on everything by 2000. Doublecheck the markings on your prop.

The Acme prop numbering is specific to pitch, diameter, cup, and shaft size. There will be a different Acme number for 1" shaft and 1 1/8" shaft.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:43 AM
MC Fanatic

I would also consider our 13 X 12 LC 1" 3-blade #314. MC went to Splined 1 1/8" shafts in 03'.
ojprops.com
800-359-9730

Old 09-19-2018, 07:45 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
[quote=Tsumi;1454294]Almost certain Mastercraft went to 1 1/8" on everything by 2000. Doublecheck the markings on your prop./QUOTE]

Not sure on that think it was 1.125 on everything once they stopped offering 1:1 transmissions

Both companies make great props and if you can demo I would try to. With what you do (wakeboarding) id be tempted to try ride steady.... but with what your boat is (ski boat) id want stargazer v9 zbox if I were buying it.

Part of my ski boat pricing metric I always take 1500 off for not having speed control because I am going to want it anyway. Basically I think a buyer who knows ski boats is going to view ride steady as generic but their sales pitch seems ok.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:45 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 PS 205-351w,285HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by msubryan View Post
Ok, I have several questions. I am upgrading my 2000 Sportstar and need some input. I mostly wakeboard, but also enjoy riding and pulling kids on tubes.

Props:

Current prop OJ Legend 13 13 4 Blade.

I am pretty sure I have a 1:1 transmission and 310HP Predator Engine.

I have spoken with OJ(13/11) and ACME(13x13) and both recommend 3 blade props.

Question: Am I going to gain much over my old prop? Which company and pitch should I go with?

Speed control:

Ride Steady or Perfect Pass?

Thanks for all input!
Lots of love for both OJ and Acme - however as Eric from OJ has already replied to your post, he is on TT regularly and has a great reputation for quality props and service. Hard to go wrong with his recommendation. You are dealing with the owner of the company, he's going to make sure it's right!

I'm not familiar with Ride Steady.

I just installed PerfectPass on my '92. Stargazer Wake Edition S purchased from skier to skier. PP has been around a long time with a reputation for outstanding support and customer service. This would get my vote as a great upgrade, I love mine.
(Former) 1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Old 09-19-2018, 10:14 AM
MC Fanatic

For the wakeboard specific application, go with the 13 X 11 LC 1" originally suggested. If you're not happy with the performance I will take it back.
ojprops.com
800-359-9730

Old 09-19-2018, 10:19 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post

I'm not familiar with Ride Steady.
https://www.hydrophase.com/ridesteady

- may be a nicer product compared to buying wake S - some neat features but not sure on company support
- hasn't been around long in the game
- has had the advantage of looking at PP during design and trying to "fix" PP problems
- doesn't support "3 event" skiing (caveat here... most people don't understand what this really means.
https://www.hydrophase.com/compare/h...er-differences

http://www.perfectpass.com/?q=systems
- Does support 3 event
- Z Box for ZO emulation available
- Long time supporter of tournament ski speed control with what is considered excellent customer support.

So here's my summary of the two systems - MOST of the line items in the ride steady FAQ I consider to be straw man arguments - they've made some hardware improvements that may be helpful but again the PP systems don't just regularly fail due to the way they made them either.

Three event modes... Do you need them?

If you just like to ride a wakeboard, throw on a ski and set it to 30 and go, pull your kids on combos and putz around on the lake - no you do not need three event mode.

Jump mode - pointless if you don't jump
Trick mode - kind of like wakeboard mode - responsiveness needed for high end tricking not needed by most skiers.
Slalom mode - do you have a course?

If you don't have a course you're best of running the boat in RPM mode - watching either your speedo or a gps equipped phone and deciding how fast your skier wants to ski.

If you have access to a course then yes you really do want stargazer three event for its slalom modes, if you have any desire to ski tournaments then you really need to add Z-Box to that equipment as well.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:05 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 PS 205-351w,285HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
https://www.hydrophase.com/ridesteady

- may be a nicer product compared to buying wake S - some neat features but not sure on company support
- hasn't been around long in the game
- has had the advantage of looking at PP during design and trying to "fix" PP problems
- doesn't support "3 event" skiing (caveat here... most people don't understand what this really means.
https://www.hydrophase.com/compare/h...er-differences

http://www.perfectpass.com/?q=systems
- Does support 3 event
- Z Box for ZO emulation available
- Long time supporter of tournament ski speed control with what is considered excellent customer support.

So here's my summary of the two systems - MOST of the line items in the ride steady FAQ I consider to be straw man arguments - they've made some hardware improvements that may be helpful but again the PP systems don't just regularly fail due to the way they made them either.

Three event modes... Do you need them?

If you just like to ride a wakeboard, throw on a ski and set it to 30 and go, pull your kids on combos and putz around on the lake - no you do not need three event mode.

Jump mode - pointless if you don't jump
Trick mode - kind of like wakeboard mode - responsiveness needed for high end tricking not needed by most skiers.
Slalom mode - do you have a course?

If you don't have a course you're best of running the boat in RPM mode - watching either your speedo or a gps equipped phone and deciding how fast your skier wants to ski.

If you have access to a course then yes you really do want stargazer three event for its slalom modes, if you have any desire to ski tournaments then you really need to add Z-Box to that equipment as well.
Got it. Looks interesting/similar to PP. I noticed the number of names stored is higher, engage on the fly and a few others differences. Price seems about the same.

I didn't need the features of 3-event either or Z-box. Wake S Edition does a great job for Slalom (no course), wakeboard, surf using GPS. Also has RPM mode. Interface is a little "clunky" until you get used to it. We usually just have driver/skier in the boat it feels much safer with PP as the driver isn't distracted by dealing with throttle control.
(Former) 1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Last edited by d2jp; 09-19-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Tags
acme, oj prop, perfect pass, ride steady