Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-09-2018, 06:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminscj View Post
Check fuel pressure at idle and under load. It should only vary 2 or 3 psi at the most from 39. It is possible that the fuel filter is plugged, but the pumps on these boats was garbage and burned up often just from normal use or being run out of fuel. So if the filter is that bad I would replace the pump. Fuel pressure gauges can be rented for free from almost any local parts house. Personally owning a boat with this fuel system I keep one at the lake house. Been fortunate that we upgraded to a millenium fuel module and the failures have gone away.

The crankshaft position sensors you are checking the gap between them and the crank.

This really sounds more like a problem with the plugs or the wires, or a coil pack failing. Especially if your passengers are commenting that the boat is missing. Remember the more throttle you give the boat, the harder it is for the ignition to spark(this is greatly simplified). So basically there are cases where the plugs will fire at idle, but under heavy throttle they won't either due to the plug being bad or due to the wires arcing out somewhere. Definitely check the coil packs for corrosion.
Thanks. I will check and report back.

Personally i think my last passenger was wrong regarding the vibrating coming from the motor missing. With my limited knowledge my brain tells me that have that amount of vibration all the way up into the steering wheel is probably not just a missing engine issue, but likely also something being out of alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
No, the kill switch shuts off the ignition as well (normally).
So what is the procedure to do a simple check on the spark? On my lawn mowers i used unscrew them and hold them against the engine. Plugs are like 20 hours old so they probably aren’t fouled. Just check/clean any corrosion?
Old 05-10-2018, 10:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
So what is the procedure to do a simple check on the spark? On my lawn mowers i used unscrew them and hold them against the engine. Plugs are like 20 hours old so they probably arenít fouled. Just check/clean any corrosion?
A simple check would be to visually inspect and make sure the contacts are good. I think you will be best served by checking your fuel pressure first.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:17 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
A simple check would be to visually inspect and make sure the contacts are good. I think you will be best served by checking your fuel pressure first.
ok thanks

I looked at an online video of how to adjust the prop shaft & engine alignment and I think I'm going to give that a whirl as well. It actually doesn't look that difficult to do and there was also a great word document floating around here with step by step directions. I'll do that, check the plugs/wires/connection, fuel pressure, & fuel filter and hopefully I will get to the bottom of it.

Does anyone know if I have to remove any fuel lines or need any special tools in order to pull out the pump from the gas tank? I also need a new gasket too, txmc has them in stock which is good. Searching the forum now for answers

Thanks for the help

Last edited by paintpollz; 05-10-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
Only special tool really needed it the tool for the quick release fitting on the canister. You don't really have to take it off if you are careful, but it sure makes life easier. If you are replacing the pump I would find a pair of proper pliers for the oetiker clamps and get new clamps for the line.

I wouldn't worry too much about the alignment for now. It wouldn't cause the boat to only run 30mph(at least if the prop is good)
Old 05-11-2018, 03:00 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminscj View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the alignment for now. It wouldn't cause the boat to only run 30mph(at least if the prop is good)
True but I'm also getting the vibration out of the holeshot and it's no bueno. You can feel it through the steering wheel. I'm not sure what else it would be besides alignment?
Old 05-11-2018, 03:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Alignment is worth a check but I'm more suspicious of a loose rudder.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:32 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
Alignment is worth a check but I'm more suspicious of a loose rudder.
never thought of that. is there anything to tighten that might be loose?
Old 05-12-2018, 06:35 PM
MC Devotee

did some work on the boat this morning. there was a little play in the rudder, so I got rid of that thinking that might help the vibration. Changed the fuel filter. Cleaned spark connections to distributor - some rust/corrosion on a couple.

put it in the water for a test drive, still no bueno. But the reason why it was topping out at 30? Almost positive that it was in fact bouncing off the rev limiter because the transmission is slipping. It's not holding the gear, and whatever is going on inside that transmission is likely the reason why the boat is vibrating.

Going to do some research on transmissions now, but I think I can rule out any ignition or fuel issues.

Fluid is new and full, not overfilled. Didn't smell burnt. ***

Last edited by paintpollz; 05-12-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:27 PM
MC Devotee

Video of the issue below

https://youtu.be/AXGre0NPKiU

There is a definite lack of power out of the holeshot. I’m assuming the vibration I have is also due to whatever is wrong with the lack of power, or vise versa. I don’t know anything about these transmissions so any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-13-2018, 11:00 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
What's the fuel pressure doing. It almost seems like you're running out of fuel. Are you a fuel line soft and mushy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk