Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-07-2018, 04:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
LTR cuts at 30mph, vibration out of hole shot

Sick prostar over here. I'm probably going to take it to the dealer at this point, but if you guys can give me a couple of DIYer pointers I might give it a shot.

Since I got the boat it has always had a little vibration out of the hole shot and when you turn sharply under load. I've noticed it getting worse. I did have a prop strike last year but it was really subtle and tbh I don't remember it getting noticeably worse after that. I just put a fresh prop on it and it's still the same. I've had some people say that it sounds/feels like the engine is missing, but in the past the engine has never missed (until we get to the next paragraph.....), and I ride a lot in the boat and to me it feels drive-line related. The prop spins smoothly and there is no play in the prop shaft bearing. I know the alignment and propshaft could be checked but I don't know how to do that nonetheless fix that. Is there anything else I could check? Could it possibly be the shaft packing? I've been told this boat leaks too much so the packing is probably loose, just not sure if that could cause that amount of vibration? Once you get out of the holeshot the boat is smooth up to WOT. If it could be something as easy as tightening the packing nuts I'm willing to give that a shot?

Then the next problem occurred this weekend and this is a first timer. The boat now cuts at about 30 mph and it feels identical to that of a rev limiter. Disclaimer, no I haven't changed the fuel filter yet and I bought the boat with 500 hours and now it has 581. No I haven't checked fuel pressure yet and I'm not sure if the fuel pump has ever been replaced. Plugs are fresh. What would be your strategy with this issue? Maybe start pulling out the pump from the top of the tank and changing the filter? Any "while you're in there" stuff I should be doing?

No CELs. Always starts right up with no issues like missing or any of that while idling. No vibrations in neutral.

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge and I don't have all day every day to work on this thing. Just trying to figure out if there are a couple of things that I could check myself before I bring it down to the dealer to give them my hard earned greenbacks.

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Troubleshoot the basics. Is there fire/spark going to each cylinder, clogged fuel filters, enough fuel pressure at the injectors, combination of both. Plus what kind of vibration...random or evenly steady?

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Authorized Dealer for
Old 05-07-2018, 05:41 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsturvey View Post
Troubleshoot the basics.
Ya see that's a problem for me, I don't know how to troubleshoot spark or fuel pressure (do you have a DIY link). I can check the filter by pulling it off the tank and replacing, I'm sure I can figure that out along with screwing something else up.

Vibration out of the holeshot every time. Steady/similar vibration until it gets on plane then she's smooth as buttah.

If I roll into it easy, smooth like buttah.

Last edited by paintpollz; 05-07-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:57 PM
MC Devotee

If I pull the kill switch, will the plug still fire if I put them against a metal surface? Kill switch just shuts off fuel?
Old 05-07-2018, 07:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
Diagnostics on this is pretty much going to be check fuel pressure, then check the spark plugs wires, then check the crankshaft position sensors. Fuel pressure is as simple as hooking up the gauge at the Schrader valve and checking the pressure while running. While checking wires be sure to check the connection at each coil. They can build up corrosion inside the boot at the coil. Remember the more throttle you give it the more likely a plug is to misfire or wire to arc. Fuel pressure should be about 39 PSI for your engine.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar 190, 1993, Anniversary Limited.
Did you do more than prop strike?

How is the trans fluid level, normal or just above?
1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17
Old 05-07-2018, 11:49 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminscj View Post
Diagnostics on this is pretty much going to be check fuel pressure, then check the spark plugs wires, then check the crankshaft position sensors. Fuel pressure is as simple as hooking up the gauge at the Schrader valve and checking the pressure while running. While checking wires be sure to check the connection at each coil. They can build up corrosion inside the boot at the coil. Remember the more throttle you give it the more likely a plug is to misfire or wire to arc. Fuel pressure should be about 39 PSI for your engine.
thanks Cumminscj.

buy a fuel pressure tester from fleabay?

to check CPS, I need a multimeter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
Did you do more than prop strike?
Are you referring to bending the prop shaft or damaging something else during the strike? Not likely I don't thing... The prop strike was towards the end of last year. I didn't notice any difference in the level of vibration after it happened. After that I ran it for about 10 more hours with the dinged up prop and put it away for a winter nap. The last couple of outings the vibration I've had other people tell me that the vibration is no bueno and it doesn't happen in their boats. So I put a new prop on it hoping that would help. The vibration did not lessen after the new prop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
How is the trans fluid level, normal or just above?
I haven't checked it for a couple of weeks and did not check it the last time. But in general I get it right on the money when I change it (easy to do when you have the electric bucket/pump). Its got fresh oil in it.

Last edited by paintpollz; 05-08-2018 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:27 AM
MC Devotee

I'm assuming it could potentially be a clogged filter? If so, would that affect fuel pressure, and would I want to test the pressure at 30mph when I'm having that issue?
Old 05-09-2018, 07:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
Check fuel pressure at idle and under load. It should only vary 2 or 3 psi at the most from 39. It is possible that the fuel filter is plugged, but the pumps on these boats was garbage and burned up often just from normal use or being run out of fuel. So if the filter is that bad I would replace the pump. Fuel pressure gauges can be rented for free from almost any local parts house. Personally owning a boat with this fuel system I keep one at the lake house. Been fortunate that we upgraded to a millenium fuel module and the failures have gone away.

The crankshaft position sensors you are checking the gap between them and the crank.

This really sounds more like a problem with the plugs or the wires, or a coil pack failing. Especially if your passengers are commenting that the boat is missing. Remember the more throttle you give the boat, the harder it is for the ignition to spark(this is greatly simplified). So basically there are cases where the plugs will fire at idle, but under heavy throttle they won't either due to the plug being bad or due to the wires arcing out somewhere. Definitely check the coil packs for corrosion.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
If I pull the kill switch, will the plug still fire if I put them against a metal surface? Kill switch just shuts off fuel?
No, the kill switch shuts off the ignition as well (normally).