Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 07-26-2017, 09:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
1. Yes, you want to try to aim at the right gate ball. You start that cut as the tip of the boat goes through the entrance gates.
roger that. first turn checklist - shoulders back, hips up, handle to hips, start to cut and hold while aiming at right starting gate ball. this I think I can handle,,,maybe.

Quote:

2. You don't look at it. You look at an imaginary spot 15' before the buoy.
smh. I'm assuming you mean keeping the buoy in your peripherals and finding the spot 15' in front of it to aim at? When you hit that spot do you start your transition to the other edge of the ski? IS THIS RHYTHM?!?!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
smh. I'm assuming you mean keeping the buoy in your peripherals and finding the spot 15' in front of it to aim at? When you hit that spot do you start your transition to the other edge of the ski? IS THIS RHYTHM?!?!
LOL - stay calm grasshopper, and bow to your sensei!

I go across both wakes, aiming at the right gate ball, always thinking about the imaginary sport 15' earlier than 1 ball. I'm not sure i ever look at 1 ball. Once i cross the 2nd wake, I roll the ski from the cutting edge to the inside edge of the ski closest to the boat. it keeps you moving cross course vs being pulled down coarse (called the pre-turn). This also positions you for the actual turn because the ski is ready. What you want to avoid is doing all of it at the buoy itself.

get on youtube, post a video.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
If you are dropping a hand during the turn, do not release too early. Releasing causes the ski to lose outside direction. I don't release till at least halfway between the boat gates and buoy. Do not release till well after your edge change
Old 07-26-2017, 10:44 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
LOL - stay calm grasshopper, and bow to your sensei!

I go across both wakes, aiming at the right gate ball, always thinking about the imaginary sport 15' earlier than 1 ball. I'm not sure i ever look at 1 ball. Once i cross the 2nd wake, I roll the ski from the cutting edge to the inside edge of the ski closest to the boat. it keeps you moving cross course vs being pulled down coarse (called the pre-turn). This also positions you for the actual turn because the ski is ready. What you want to avoid is doing all of it at the buoy itself.

get on youtube, post a video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommurtha View Post
If you are dropping a hand during the turn, do not release too early. Releasing causes the ski to lose outside direction. I don't release till at least halfway between the boat gates and buoy. Do not release till well after your edge change
LOL ok ok ok.

I'm gunna hit 6/6 gates first run thanks to all of your advice. I might as well just start at 34mph and take another 25' off.....

Old 07-27-2017, 01:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft 190 1990 351 Powerslot
Here for

I am just chiming in for empathy sake. I got through the junior course last year (I am 49 years old)but with horrible form and a death grip on the handle. So...even though even skiing like this was fun, my form probably would have made it impossible to effectively try the regular course, still it was still too much fun to give up. I've really only been skiing for two years so my wife sent me to Sunset Ski Ranch in June. This trip was a huge help. They have a helmet with a built in head-set so their coach can talk to you while you are actually skiing.

All the above advice that the TT members have given you was brought up to me by the ski coach that week at some point or another. I was on the course this morning and got through two balls on the regular course...and if my rhythm stunk and I missed the three, I could go retreat to the green balls, this enabled me to pick up another red ball. I was skiing 15 off at 30.

Anyway, my current issue is still miss-judging the offside turn and ending up with slack line...again, a form issue...but I'm working on it.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:16 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd1990 View Post
I am just chiming in for empathy sake.
Glad you got to go out to a school! Sounds awesome. At 49 years young I'm sure you will improve quite a bit!!!

Yesterday I did some freeskiing on a lake nearby with the sole focus of offside turning and holding edge. It's evident that I was being a total bit*h when turning into that wake from my offside. Yesterday I focused on holding edge and as others have pointed out, you literally slice right thru.....

my next issue is finding a place to store my damn boat so I don't have to drive 2 hours on the weekend just to get my boat to the course....
Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 AM
MC Devotee

no video,,, shame on me.....

I tried to run the course again yesterday 15 off at 30mph, about 12 passes yesterday. I think I only made the first gate once and I only made it around 2 balls.

So frustrating, right now I hate the slalom course. I will hate it until I can complete it. Then I will like it for about 5 minutes, and then hate it again until I can be competitive with it.

One huge issue I can tell I'm having is being on my weak side. When starting a turn to the right, nothing feels natural. I lose my edge and I generate a crazy amount of slack. I think I might standing up too much. I took a bad fall yesterday head over heels while going over the wake on my weak side and I came within a fingers distance of smashing my head into the water ski. The way my neck feels this morning from the whiplash would have certainly meant a hospital visit yesterday had my head hit the ski. Lucky.....

Regardless, I have no idea what I'm doing and I think I'm going to need someone to go out with me to get me up to speed...Or go to a ski school.

How did everyone else learn? Did people pick this up quickly, or did they have someone to help them when they started?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
until I can be competitive with it.
Good luck with that – you’d have to be deep into –38’ to be competitive.

Quote:
How did everyone else learn? Did people pick this up quickly, or did they have someone to help them when they started?
Between other skiers tips that were better than me, ski clinics and schools, that is how you learn. You have to try all that advice to see what works best for you. I ran my 1st complete pass the 1st season at -15’ (28/29 mph) around 14 yrs ago and I have been hooked ever since.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
without seeing a video I'll give you some tips to think about as they apply. warning I'm probably gonna ramble.

Starting for the gates:you want to start your lean to the gates "free of the rope" Very Important IMO. That means you are coasting faster than the boat before you begin the turn and are still free of the rope when you establish your full angle toward the wake. Once there is tension on the rope you will get no more angle. ALL turns should be initiated and completed "free of the rope" The gates are all timing and depends on the person but a beginner should start the turn as the nose passes the gate and you should be at max angle when the transom goes through them. Again at the start you ski to the handle keeping it low and near your hip. If the handles gets away from the body the hips go back, shoulders forward and you have wake for breakfast, lunch & dinner like you did.

I would suggest for now that you ignore the gates start on the right side pull out and cut around one and go from there. Until you can make 6 Continue. When you can make 6 now start from the left side but pas in front of the gates thinking about when you start so you can gauge the correct timing. Again keep doing it till you can run 6

I will guess you are getting slack because you are leaning hard but with limited angle so when you try to transition your path is direction-ally similar to the boat but you are going faster thus slack. Angle is your friend.

After you cross the wake with decent andle keep the handle at the hip as long as possible. I don;t release and reach till I'm probably beyond the midpoint width of the course later if I have good angle. As soon as you reach you loose angle and the goal is to get as much width as possible

At your speed you might need to stay on edge well beyond the second wake to get enough width. If you have handle the speed with bleed off quickly. Without width you stand no chance

If you have a wing on your fin... take it off. Before my knee injury I could run into 35 off 34 mph with no wing and still have no issue slowing down for the turn. At slow speeds it creates far too much drag

I spent hours watching the Bob Lapoint video from Mike Suyderhoud's Advanced Slalom Clinic. If you can find it or something similar buy it.

BTW I spent weeks failing at 30 when I first started 40 years ago. I was always early for 1 but ended up narrow because I did not edge past the second wake and reached too early. Once I figured it out and understood the "free rope" concept things progressed nicely. Hope this gives you some things to think about
Old 09-18-2017, 01:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
Short of an instructor in the boat, you're best bet would be videos posted here for feedback on what to work on. The benefit of video is you can also see what you are doing. If you crashed over the front, it probably makes you broke at the waist and bent forward.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk