Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2017, 07:52 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X30 2003 vortex 350 hp
Surf wake for X30

Hello,
I have an older boat that I picked up last year. The boat is a 2003 X30 and I'm looking for advice on the best way to setup my boat for wake surfing. What do I need to add/change. Any advice would be appreciated.
Dwayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2017, 10:40 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X30 3,000 Ballast
Congrats on the new boat!! I set the perfect pass between 10.2-10.5 mph and fill the bow and both lockers. I get a tall wave with a long pocket.

Make yourself a suckgate. There are tons of information out there about how to build them.

My This is under the bow seat, it piggy backs off the ski locker
http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-i...d-bow-sac.html

Ski locker, my factory yellow bag had a hole in it.
http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-tube-sac.html

Rear Lockers - pull out the hard take and put in 1,100's
http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-jumbo-surf-sac.html

If you do go with big bags, you should add two more water intakes and ditch that ballast manifold, huge time saver to fill and drain.

I'm not sure if you can really see much of the wake in my video but you get the idea.

https://youtu.be/LKTZIi71rOI
Old 07-18-2017, 04:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X-30, Indmar MCX
Congrats on the new boat! I've got an '03 X-30 as well and fully agree with Bohmer410's advice. Filling all the stock ballast was a good start but adding the bow sack and a suckgate really brought the surf wake up to the next level.

Last edited by outoftheoffice; 07-20-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:40 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheoffice View Post
Congrats on the new boat! I've got an '03 X-30 as well and fully agree with Bohmer410's advice. I filling all the stock ballast was a good start but adding the bow sack and a suckgate really brought the surf wake up to the next level.

Thank you all for the great info and I'll start working on all your suggestions. I'll start researching what a suckgate is. Next time I'm out ands get all your suggestions into play I'll post my boats performance and the change in our wake surfing experience. This site is awesome and full of knowledge.
Thanks again for taking the time to share information.

Dwayne

Old 07-19-2017, 01:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X30, 2003, MCX 350
I did the above over the course of about 2 years and feel good about the wave my boat has now. 1 thing, though, is that the bow sack in my boat is just not used. My boys like the wave with the rear 1100's about 80% full, and the KGB about 60% full, and a suck gate.

If I were to do it again, here's the order I'd use as time/money allowed:

Build a suck-gate.
Remove hard tanks in rear and replace with 1100 bags.
Plumb 3 intakes/through hulls so that each pump has it's own feed (and eliminate the manifold distribution block).

I'm not even sure if I'd do a bow-sack again.

Somewhere in there you need to make sure you've got the right prop. I have an OJ 812 and am happy. 3000-3100 RPM's at surf speed. Good hole shot for wakeboarding, too.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002, X30, L-18
I have a 2002 X-30 and I agree with everything people are saying here too.

Here is my setup.

1) Buy or build a Bob V5 Suckgate. There is a person on here that is selling them for $85. I've built 3 and also bought one of his. It hasn't come yet (should be here today) but I can't wait to see if it performs any different than the ones I've made. Check out Mark Martens posts or visit www.shapethewake.com. Buy the slim version for $85 including shipping and you will be set.

2) Remove the worthless hard tanks in the rear and replaced with 750s. When I did this, 4 years ago, I don't think 1,100s were available.

3) Remove the worthless manifold and punch 2 more holes in the bottom of the boat to feed the 3 ballast pumps directly. Also, change all hoses to 1" diameter.

4) Remove the 1-way valves on the intake side - they are worthless and restrict your input flow.

5) Position all ballast pumps so the impeller housing is pointing down and the motor is up. This will prolong the life expectancy of the ballast pump as you will eliminate the potential of water getting by the shaft seal and into the motor.

6) Polish the insides of the ballast pump's impeller housing, port the intake and exhaust inlets to remove the inner threads and switch to the green or yellow impellers.

7) Buy the largest ballast bag that will fit in the center ski locker (KGB). Mine holds 550 lbs.

8) Buy a bow triangle. Mine holds 1,000 lbs but we only fill it up about 75%

My setup has 3,000 lbs of water when everything is filled 100%. I can fill everything in about 8-10 minutes. The bow triangle bag is filled with an external over the side of the boat pump.

Last edited by prostar205; 07-21-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:42 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar205 View Post
I have a 2002 X-30 and I agree with everything people are saying here too.

Here is my setup.

1) Buy or build a Bob V5 Suckgate. There is a person on here that is selling them for $85. I've built 3 and also bought one of his. It hasn't come yet (should be here today) but I can't wait to see if it performs any different than the ones I've made. Check out Mark Martens posts or visit www.shapethewake.com. Buy the slim version for $85 including shipping and you will be set.

2) Remove the worthless hard tanks in the rear and replaced with 750s. When I did this, 4 years ago, I don't think 1,100s were available.

3) Remove the worthless manifold and punch 2 more holes in the bottom of the boat to direct feed the 3 ballast pumps directly. Also, change all hoses to 1" diameter.

4) Remove the 1-way valves on the intake side - they are worthless and restrict your input flow.

5) Position all ballast pumps so the impeller housing is pointing down and the motor is up. This will prolong the life expectancy of the ballast pump as you will eliminate the potential of water getting by the shaft seal and into the motor.

6) Polish the insides of the ballast pump's impeller housing, port the intake and exhaust inlets to remove the inner threads and switch to the green or yellow impellers.

7) Buy the largest ballast bag that will fit in the center ski locker (KGB). Mine holds 550 lbs.

8) Buy a bow triangle. Mine holds 1,000 lbs but we only fill it up about 75%

My setup has 3,000 lbs of water when everything is filled 100%. I can fill everything in about 8-10 minutes. The bow triangle bag is filled with an external over the side of the boat pump.

Have you received or got to use the shape the wake you ordered? You said order the slim one correct?

Old 07-21-2017, 03:03 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsdbkranz View Post
Have you received or got to use the shape the wake you ordered? You said order the slim one correct?

Got the Shape the Wake device yesterday. We will be using it on Sunday on the X-30. Tomorrow I will be using it on my buddies 2010 Malibu VLX. I did order the slim version in hopes that it will stay affixed on the lower step of the hull.

I will report back after this weekend's use.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X30 3,000 Ballast
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar205 View Post
I would do this sooner than later. I knew I should flip the pump around but I never did. Some water leaked into the pump and killed the motor. Simple to do just two hoses, four screws and two wires.

On a side note, I replaced the Jabsco puppy pump with a Johnson pump. It's was the pump I could get delivered the fastest. The Johnson pumps a fair amount faster, it shoots the water out about a foot farther than my two Jabsco's. The pump is a little longer but that not an issue.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:26 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohmer410 View Post
I would do this sooner than later. I knew I should flip the pump around but I never did. Some water leaked into the pump and killed the motor. Simple to do just two hoses, four screws and two wires.

On a side note, I replaced the Jabsco puppy pump with a Johnson pump. It's was the pump I could get delivered the fastest. The Johnson pumps a fair amount faster, it shoots the water out about a foot farther than my two Jabsco's. The pump is a little longer but that not an issue.
If you don't want to deal with a wiring change, you can reverse the pump head by 180 deg and that will take care of the correct rotation when you hit FILL and EMPTY.

Here is a link to the thread about polishing and porting the ballast pumps. My pumps are original (2002) and work like (better) then day they were put in the boat.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=78948