Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2014, 12:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD50 View Post
I'm glad I found this thread. Just purchased an immaculate 2013 X10 that was very well taken care of. I didn't notice anything on the test drive mostly because the cooler was empty and there were always 2 people sitting port side. I've had it out a couple of times and noticed a heavy lean to starboard and it seems to ride pretty nose high even with the plate down. I'm coming from a Supra 21v which did list a slight bit to starboard but was only noticeable from looking at a slight difference in the wake from side to side.

My boat only has the center plate and no tabs. Confirmed the ballast was empty by cycling the drain pumps while not moving and again when sitting at an angle on the ramp. I notice mine listing enough at around 21 mph that if I make a moderately hard right turn, the rub rail is near the water line and it will kick spray up until it hits the wakeboard in the starboard rack. It doesn't do this if making the same turn to port. I'm starting to wonder if I may have made a big mistake by upgrading. I love this boat and it's obvious to me how much more thought was put into the design but this worries me.
If you are cruising solo you need to put some ballast in the rear port side to compensate for the prop torque. Have the listing issue too, doesn't sound to your extreme. But with the power these boats have and they are designed to "plow" through the water not ride on top like a prostar would you need to compensate for the torque going through that prop shaft.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-30 6.0L
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  48.2 KB

Current picture of my wake after MC made the changes.
The boat is fully sacked out and running 22.5 mph.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: boat
MC had some bad hulls in 2013. Heavy listing to one side or the other. The fix was to shave part of the hull or create a lip for lift, as mentioned before
Old 07-15-2014, 01:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 19 X24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeRider107 View Post
MC had some bad hulls in 2013. Heavy listing to one side or the other. The fix was to shave part of the hull or create a lip for lift, as mentioned before

Wait, what?

Says who? I have never heard anything of the sort. I am curious.....

Am I the only one that has noticed the torque lean on every boat I have ever owned?? My CCs leaned to port while under way, and my Bu's and MCs all leaned to starboard, unless they were compensated. In every boat, 150lbs of lead, on the opposite side, cured it. Even ski boats do the same thing, which is why they are available with the little ballast tank for balance.

My friends G23 leans to starboard, unless there is at least one additional person sitting on port side, and my other buddy has the same deal with his '13 LSV. I was under the assumption this was normal.....
Old 07-15-2014, 05:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
Wait, what?

Says who? I have never heard anything of the sort. I am curious.....

Am I the only one that has noticed the torque lean on every boat I have ever owned?? My CCs leaned to port while under way, and my Bu's and MCs all leaned to starboard, unless they were compensated. In every boat, 150lbs of lead, on the opposite side, cured it. Even ski boats do the same thing, which is why they are available with the little ballast tank for balance.

My friends G23 leans to starboard, unless there is at least one additional person sitting on port side, and my other buddy has the same deal with his '13 LSV. I was under the assumption this was normal.....
On todays boats, the combination of driver and console weight plus prop rotation will make the boat lean starboard unless people or extra weight is added to port (i offset this with lead bags). This kind of listing is normal.
What isnt normal is when you have 3 people on port and full port ballast with no starboard ballast or people (besides driver), and the boat still lists starboard while at cruising speed. (yes we know how to use the tabs)

My understanding was there were some X30s with warped hulls (or maybe bad fiberglass spraying) that caused terrible listing. I dont work for MC so i can only relay info that i was told by a dealer, but i have experienced this listing first hand.
Shaving part of the hull to create a "hook" helped lift one side of the transom to balance the boats out.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 19 X24
Which dealer? Your nautique dealer?

I guess I just found it to be an odd statement that mastercraft put out a bunch of bad hulls, yet nobody here had ever heard of such a thing. (Or at least posted anything about it, ever)

The OP obviously had something going on, but that is one boat...... The blanket statement threw me a little bit.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:28 PM
TT Regular

I do know that my 2013 X-30 was not the only one having this problem at my dealer. I'm would think that if my dealer had more than one then there are plenty of others out there.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
hughes26, how do you like the wake now? Is that you in the pic?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
Which dealer? Your nautique dealer?

I guess I just found it to be an odd statement that mastercraft put out a bunch of bad hulls, yet nobody here had ever heard of such a thing. (Or at least posted anything about it, ever)

The OP obviously had something going on, but that is one boat...... The blanket statement threw me a little bit.

I did some work at an MC dealer. Had 3 hulls that were warped.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:30 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
hughes26, how do you like the wake now? Is that you in the pic?
My wake is a lot better. Boat rides true and I'm not having to dump the starboard ballast.

No that is not me in the picture.