Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2014, 09:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190, LT1
Tubes, are they all junk?

OK, I hate tubes just as much if not more than everyone one here, but my youngest daughter loves to ride in them. My problem is I have gone through 4 in the last 2 years. Two have been XPS brand and 2 have been Sea Doo, and they are the 2 person sit-in cockpit style. Granted these aren't the most popular brands, but I have been well within the weight limits on both, and inflate them so they are firm, but not over inflated in my opinion. Why do they keep popping? Is there a better brand? Last question, should I deflate them when not in use?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Obrien Super Screamer and Screamer tubes hold up well in my experience.

We have two that are 3 years old and look new. Might be because they don't see much use

http://www.amazon.com/OBrien-Super-S.../dp/B00D0XXAYC
Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-10 6.0
Obrien le tube is one I have been using for years, I would say been through 3 in 15 years.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft Prostar 5.7
2nd the Obrien Super Screamer opinion. We have some for the kids to ride and they are only needing replaced every 3-4 years. Generally because of the cover wearing down. The tubes have always held up great! Watch Overtons- they have decent sales on them fairly often.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:25 AM
jgraham37128

I have the Obrien wake warrior tube we've been using for our 3rd season. It still looks like new and we've had zero problems with it. I have two girls 8 and 5. This tube is not bouncy, super stable. I give it an A+. I shoot them from one side of the wake to the other all the time, it's not babied by any means.

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/obr...bOgaAnwA8P8HAQ
Old 07-14-2014, 10:16 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X14
O'Brien tubes and get it from Amazon or someplace where you can return it easily if there is a problem. I got one, pumped it up in the house and let it sit over night and the next morning it was flat. No sense in keeping one with a leak in it. So I returned it and they shipped replacement. That too leaked so I got a third. It was fine and we still have it although it is gather dust in the basement because my kids think tubing is for Neanderthals. One rides not standing up.

As a side not O'Brien stands behind their stuff. We got a set of Jr skis and after ~2 weeks of use a chip came out of the side/bottom. I sent photos to O'Brien and heard right away that they were sending replacements. Problem is they did not have the original skis so they wanted to know if I would take upgraded skis. I did and they arrived 2 days later. I emailed them and asked if they wanted the original skis and they said no and that I could keep them or toss them. I moved one of the binding screws to be outside of the chip and my youngest has been using those skis for 3 summers now. So I got two sets of skis for the price of one. They responded VERY quickly and took care of me.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
We had an o'brien that went flat after a year. I called them to see about getting a new bladder for it and instead they sent me the newer model of the tube for free. Call the manufacturer and see what they will do.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:04 AM
TT Regular

Boat: current-07 X2, past-02 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
We have an Obrien Letube also. It has held up great but its not the most mobile or fun tube imho. We had 2 screamers up at a friends lake house and you can seriously beat someone to death on it. Far more fun. If its for young young kids get the letube. They can sit down in it and be safe.

I however am under the strong belief that if you aren't getting hurt on a tube you aren't maximizing the fun.

As for the popping are they staying in the sun or in unconditioned space? We keep ours in a conditioned garage and they hold up well. Ive seen others who leave them in the boat or in sheds and they all look like they went through wwII
Old 07-14-2014, 11:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Falcon
I have an HO Atom that I have had for four years. I have had to stich up a couple of seams with dental floss as I think it was left in the sun and expanded and frayed the seem.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
Super Mable tubes are well made. Had ours for 3-4 years now and it's still mint. What a hassle dragging that thing on the lake though.