Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-15-2018, 06:15 PM
TT Newbie

Question Starving for Fuel - help??

First time poster long time reader. I have a 1990 PS190 with 351C, I just finished a dual exhaust job and removed the silent master, replaced soft fuel lines while I had the gas tank out, hooked up to a 5 gallon tank and took the boat out today to check for leaks. Sounds awesome and No leaks! Project was a success. However I was experiencing issues with the motor bogging down under a load and thought I would come to the experts. The boat backed off the trailer fine and ran around ok, however when the motor was good and warm it began to bog down under a load (in drive while accelerating) and would sometimes die out, it would run rough prior while trying to get on a plane. After this happened today, I remember late last season it was behaving the same way but I basically put it up and hadn't thought about it again. Limped back to the doc etc feathering the throttle. Winterizing and summerizing it runs fine hooked up to the hose, but my problems are when there is a load on the prop. There is also a hissing noise accompanying the motor dying. I have talked to a few people and heard maybe power valve, maybe vapor lock, however the motor often starts right back up and idles/revs up fine when the transmission is in neutral. If anyone could provide any tips or advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2018, 10:22 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 PS 205-351w,285HO
Lots of basics to check out: Ignition timing, fuel filter change, water separator filter change and there is a small screen on the inlet from the fuel hose to the carb (care must be taken not to cross thread when re-attaching), and possibly a leak between the carb/spacer/intake which can be checked by carefully spraying carb cleaner around the base of the carb and spacer, if it stalls or dies, could be a failing gasket, make sure the spark arrestor screen is clean..IMO those are the easy, basics. Going out on a limb I would say probably not vapor lock. After that..check the fuel pump and at 28 years old even if you diagnose a power valve issue with the carb, it's time for everything else to be revived. Thatsmrmastercraft here is the local Holley guru and can help with rebuild and diagnose options-send him a pm, he's quick to respond. Beyond that, I'd look at the ignition system. One nice thing about old school boats like ours: It's usually just an issue with fuel, air, or ignition - no computers or ECMs to deal with.
(Former) 1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Old 07-19-2018, 12:23 AM
TT Newbie

Awesome. Thank you Jack. I will trouble shoot those things and let you know what I find out. Thanks for the help!
Jason

Tags
carb, dual exhaust, fuel