Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-15-2018, 04:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 X2
Fuel Pump Module Upgrades - Millennium #155215 vs #155202

Does anyone have the specs, or have experience with the performance differences in these two Millennium pump options in MCX engines (Millennium 155202, Millennium 155215)? I have found tons of info on rebuilding exiting modules using different pumps, but very little on these Millennium module upgrades.

I ordered an upgrade from my original Carter pump, to the Millennium 155202, but the Millennium 155215 ended up being installed (long story).

I have not been able to find specs on these two modules to know the difference. What I do know is the new Millennium 155215 installed is showing ~55psi upon key on. 55psi is at the minimum threshold of acceptable psi range.

I have not tested psi yet at idle, or at speed, but my boat appears to sound and perform normally at all speed ranges.

My boat:
2004 Mastercraft x2 with MCX
280hrs

Last edited by Bumblebee; 07-15-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:07 AM
TT Newbie

This may not be commonly known data, so I may not get any feedback. So, if someone is looking to upgrade their fuel pump module on an MCX engine to the Millennium module, both model number pumps fit and operate within the recommended performance zone for the engine. The Millennium modules also sit lower in the tank than the Carters because they are spring loaded to rest on the bottom without the old style metal filter like on the Carters. Therefore, in theory, running less than 1/4 tank should not be as catastrophic as it is with the Carter systems. The Millennium's are also double pump systems. You will have to spend ~$400 more than if you rebuild, but it is a nice upgrade that 'should' be a more reliable long term solution than a rebuild.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
BB - thanks for the heads up. I have wondered if my pump is on its way out. What is the difference between the 202 and the 215?
Old 07-17-2018, 03:04 PM
TT Newbie

I have not been able to find anyone with the specs on both modules, including mcpartsdepot. What I know is the 215 is intended for older boats. This may be because the 215 is compatible with a return fuel line. However, there is no pressure on the 215 return line pump module fitting, which comes plugged and capped for non use applications, so if the return line compatibility is the only difference, there would be no reason to spend the extra $100 on the 202. The fuel tank bolt patterns are the same, everything fits using the 215, and the 215 is operating within the MCX recommended PSI range. However, the 202 is the Mastercraft recommended replacement module for MXC engines and I have not been able to find published information about 215 compatibility. Only my real world case study that it fits properly, runs well, and performs within engine specification psi requirements in my 2004 X2 MCX. Granted, my psi reads 55psi at key on, which is at the low end of the 55-62psi engine spec, but since my boat runs well I am not currently worried about running at the low end of the recommended range, nor do I know if the pump is related to running 3psi lower than what is generally considered the perfect psi sweet spot.

Last edited by Bumblebee; 07-17-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
The pressure rating would be on the regulator, which is the big ball looking thing on top.

The Answer lies in a hodgepodge of info. The MCX runs 4 bar and used a return in 02 and 03. The LTR runs 3 bar and used a return from about 2000 to 2002. On the years a return was used the regulator on the fuel rail will bleed the excess pressure off and hold that boat at 3 bar. Prior years of the LTR were returnless and as such the pressure is only regulated on the pump. So a 4 bar module will not work.

So basically the 202 is for returnless boats that need 4 bar and the 215 is for boats that have a return while the 215 is for return style fuel systems that need 4 bar(or can use 4 bar like the return style LTR) Internally they should the the same pumps etc as both motors have the same fuel demands.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:15 PM
TT Newbie

That is a helpful info add, Cumminscj, thanks.

Unless I am missing something, based on your feedback, I am concluding the 215 is also compatible with returnless MCX engines and people upgrading can comfortably use either the 202, or save $100 and use the 215. The return fitting on the 215 is plugged, capped and there is no pressure on it, so not using the return compatibility pump module feature should be a non issue.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
That is a helpful info add, Cumminscj, thanks.

Unless I am missing something, based on your feedback, I am concluding the 215 is also compatible with returnless MCX engines and people upgrading can comfortably use either the 202, or save $100 and use the 215. The return fitting on the 215 is plugged, capped and there is no pressure on it, so not using the return compatibility pump module feature should be a non issue.
Keep in mind this is all small block info. The bigger engines likely ran different pumps that can run higher volumes.

I doubt the cap it comes with is fuel rated. The caps they come with are usually just for keeping dust out. Personally I would not want an extra hole in my fuel tank assembly. The fewer the possibilities of fuel escaping and causing a fire the better.

But no there should not be any real pressure on that fitting.