Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-09-2018, 07:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 MariStar 210 VRS EFI
Running rich at idle, then backfiring at higher RPM

I have a 2000 MariStar 210 with the 310 TBI Predator. I just installed a new engine and now I'm having issues. It starts every time easily. Timing is at 10 BTDC as it should be. It never high idles when cold and smells like its running quite rich. It has new cap, rotor, ignition module. Overhauled the TBI (except for replacing the injectors). Tested my ECT and it indicates normally. Cleaned my IAC (didn't replace it yet). At first the plugs were showing rich, but I checked them today and they're a nice mocha color. I replaced my fuel pump before staring the engine for the first time also. The canister filter was replaced also. The engine only has maybe 2.5 hrs on it, but anytime it's loaded and I try to accelerate over 3/4 throttle it backfires through the TB and has three times just randomly lost power and won't respond to throttle inputs for about a second or two. Then I can gently reapply power slowly and get on plane but still can't accelerate rapidly. I disconnected the throttle cable at the slip and reved the engine and watched the injectors. I noticed at approximately 3500+ rpm they would cut off. I'm wondering if I'm having a tach issue? My gauges are all haywire. The tach appears to be close but I'm not sure. My MDC is surely toast. This boat sat on the lift for 5yrs. Boat only had 156hrs on it. I've got another thread on the MariStar side about bringing it back. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've spent this whole 4th vacation at the dock testing and tuning. We should've been skiing, wakeboarding, surfing, and tubing instead
Old 07-09-2018, 09:49 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Whats the fuel pressure? Did you replace the fuel pressure regulator/membrane and spring?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2018, 09:23 AM
TT Regular

I havenít plumbed in a pressure gauge to check the pressure, but the pump is rated at 28-32psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 AM
TT Regular

Also... yes I did replace the regulator membrane. Didnít get a new spring with the kit

Old 07-10-2018, 10:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Definitely sounds like it's running rich. As far as the gauges go, your best bet would be to bypass the MDC and run standard gauges. There is a thread here that will take you through the process. Just be warned, getting the instrument cluster out is a PITA!

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Authorized Dealer for
Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM
TT Regular

Jsturvey. I stuck my head under there and I can tell... you ainít kiddín. So do you run your gauges directly off the main wire bundle?

Old 07-10-2018, 11:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymonkey View Post
Jsturvey. I stuck my head under there and I can tell... you ainít kiddín. So do you run your gauges directly off the main wire bundle?

I personally have not done a MDC bypass (yet) since my 225 MariStar was never equipped with one, but I have done the gauge replacement. (My friend has the same year/make/model as yours and I'll be doing the bypass on it within the next year.) You have to extend the wires from the MDC harness to the individual gauges in the cluster. Gauges themselves also have to be replaced since the MDC gauges are digital and bypassing converts the system to analog.

Authorized Dealer for
Old 07-10-2018, 11:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Here is the thread on bypassing the MDC and converting to analog.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=61353

Authorized Dealer for
Old 07-10-2018, 11:46 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsturvey View Post
I personally have not done a MDC bypass (yet) since my 225 MariStar was never equipped with one, but I have done the gauge replacement. (My friend has the same year/make/model as yours and I'll be doing the bypass on it within the next year.) You have to extend the wires from the MDC harness to the individual gauges in the cluster. Gauges themselves also have to be replaced since the MDC gauges are digital and bypassing converts the system to analog.

Analog is so much easier to deal with. I kind of figured Iíd have to change them all out.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:49 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsturvey View Post
Here is the thread on bypassing the MDC and converting to analog.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=61353

Awesome!!! Thanks man