Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 07-29-2018, 07:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190
Any helpful tips on getting the gas tank in and out ? I have to pull mine next off season. for some reason it seems intimidating.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayR View Post
Any helpful tips on getting the gas tank in and out ? I have to pull mine next off season. for some reason it seems intimidating.
Do you have to remove it or just need access near or behind the fuel cell?

Otherwise just remove the hold down screws from the brackets and the floor blocks, cut the fuel filler hose (cut to save a ton of headache and bad words trying to get the old hardened one off the barbed ends) using a box cutter or utility knife, and put a new one in upon reassembly.

Easy and straight forward. Slide it forward unless you need it completely out of the boat.

If you need around it but not out, loosen the same hold-down clamps, then loosen the worm gear clamps at the fuel filler hose. Rotate the fuel cell on the axis of the filler hose (not having to remove it). Makes access very easy to 90% of the needs and is an even easier access strategy than removing the cell and no need to cut the filler hose.

A good time to replace the fuel line also. Clean the screen on the fuel cell inlet and if need be put in a new sending unit.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 07-29-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '87 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayR View Post
It's not too hard to remove, but it is a bit of a pain in the rear. Waterlogged is correct, and I would use his suggestions. Mine had to come out because of the amount of sludge and varnish in the bottom of the tank. The fuel neck hose is the worst part.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190
Thanks for the tips. yes its the fuel neck is what i was most worried about. and breaking the plastic inlet off. Great suggestion by waterlogged to just spin the tank in place. I have to service the rudder, I might do strut bearings and re-bed the strut while I am at it. While the shaft in my boat is aligned it rides very low in the shaft log opening. I assume it was a Friday boat at the factory and thats the way it came...
Old 08-05-2018, 08:17 AM
TT Regular

Sorry for the hiatus, as much as I would love to work on my boat all day, real work got in the way. However, in the last week I have managed to do a bunch of work. As I mentioned before, she actually fired up and ran. Well, that kick started me into high gear and I was able to basically button everything up and take her to the lake for a float test. Good news is that she didn't sink. Bad news is that she didn't run as well as I had planned, but I think I have sorted most of the little things out. The engine ran smoothly but had a terrible "bog" when coming off of idle and the rpm's were jumping all over the place. A quick check with the timing light confirmed that the ignition was a bit retarded, so I adjusted it to 6 degrees btdc. I haven't put it back in the water, but I suspect that will solve most of the problem. I will post an update after the next trip. I also discovered that my shaft seal leaks like a fire hose on full blast. I have that on my to-do list for today. I will definitely post pictures of that rebuild.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:21 AM
TT Regular

Name:  IMG_2568.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  147.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2570.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  149.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2571.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  152.1 KB
Old 08-05-2018, 08:22 AM
TT Regular

The promised pictures of my Jethro Faked a Lake! HAHAHAHA!
Old 08-11-2018, 01:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft 190 1990 351 Powerslot
Great work!