Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-26-2018, 08:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
there have been a lot of advancements in technology since this thread was discussed. The printing materials and resolution has drastically improved to where there are now structural materials, thermal materials and multiple materials used during printing to where you can have flexible joints with rigid structure (like a rigid flex circuit card) ... they even have conductive materials where printed circuit cards can be used for prototype. My group works in Creo (formerly Pro-E) and we send .stp files to the lab where the 3D printers are located for them to print our objects.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
In the process of trying to get one of these for my work.

http://www.erectorbot.com/?_vsrefdom...AaApZdEALw_wcB
Old 03-26-2018, 11:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 MasterCraft X2
I got a $120 3D printer for my 11 year old son a couple years ago for his birthday. Best cheap 3D printer is the Monoprice Select Mini. Super cheap and easy to use. Design software is more difficult. He used TinkerCAD to design a number of things and it's a learning process. One of the best slicers is Cura and is free. The slicer is the piece of software that takes the 3D model and tells the printer how to make it. PET or PETG is a good material to start with. If you want to move to ABS a different printer with an enclosure is best as you have to keep the stuff warm throughout the whole print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post
Reviving this old thread vs starting a new one- lol

Long story short - Since they are discontinued & we no longer sell them a "Cube 3" showed up on my door step. They are now pretty cheap to buy, (Under $300) which after using it a few times I see why they went belly up. Print quality is decent @ 70 microns, but the filament cassettes are expensive and I have had a lot of issues with clogged nozzles busted filament, cassette not engaging properly etc. Just in a couple days I have become pretty good at taking them apart, & will probably hack it to use generic spools assuming I still print stuff. Just playing right now.

OK, so fast forward on this thread 7 years... Who has some experience with this stuff?
The software for the Cube is pretty lame - What other options are out there? It appears I can bring in a .stl file & write the required .cube file & it works, but I am a super nubbie on 3D files.

Also, anyone have any cool stuff to print? Mastercraft designs? Lastly, what's the best media, PLA or ABS?

Cheers,
Old 03-26-2018, 03:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Thanks - I actually found a great site for a bunch of free stuff - www.pinshape.com

I have Meshmixer & FreeCad - No clue what I am doing with it yet - lol.

The Cube 3 is an OK printer, for free lol - The Filament Cartridges are a pain, I have one that just won't read the chip, but work has a bunch of free ones coming my way, I'll use those up, then hack the Firmware & modify to print from generic filament. PLA seems to be working fine for the trinkets I am printing.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft 2007 X2 MCX
I recreated these speaker grills and 3D printed them in ABS. I'm going to paint them white so they will match the interior of my boat. Made a few extra!! An original Aluminum grill is on the top of the stack.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2018, 06:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Very Nice!