Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2017, 09:42 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Need Dale Hollow Advice

While researching Lake Cumberland I stumbled into a place called Dale Hollow. From what I've heard and found online it seems very similar but much more affordable. I am wondering if any of you have had any good or bad experiences there. Are there good places to ski like on Cumberland? What marinas would your recommend in searching for a 16+ passenger houseboat (6 adults 10+ kids).

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:54 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 MasterCraft MariStar 230 VRS
We used to go to Dale Hollow before switching to Norris for our annual houseboat trip. Very nice lake, and if I remember correctly, it's on the Tennessee/Kentucky border. I can't remember which marina we used though... certainly less crowded than Cumberland is, at least when we were there. I don't know if there's any courses to ski (didn't ever look), but we seemed to have good flat water whenever we wanted it for skiing and wakeboarding. Hope that helps a bit!
2017 B1G Champions
Old 07-20-2017, 09:58 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmothy07 View Post
We used to go to Dale Hollow before switching to Norris for our annual houseboat trip. Very nice lake, and if I remember correctly, it's on the Tennessee/Kentucky border. I can't remember which marina we used though... certainly less crowded than Cumberland is, at least when we were there. I don't know if there's any courses to ski (didn't ever look), but we seemed to have good flat water whenever we wanted it for skiing and wakeboarding. Hope that helps a bit!
Thanks for the info!
Old 07-20-2017, 10:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 Supreme 202
I've done two houseboat trips on Dale Hollow. Both were back in the late 90's. We went out of Hendricks Creek Marina once and Horse Creek once. I've heard Horse Creek is no longer renting houseboats.

Hendricks was great from what I remember. Very clean, nice amenities and very helpful staff.

Talked to the folks from Hendricks Creek at the last boat show and as soon as our youngest is old enough to not have to watch every second, we'll do either a cabin or houseboat with them again.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft TriStar 220
Never rented boats, but go there 1-2 times a year to camp. We summer camp at Obey River/Sunset Marina, and have been going there for about 20 years. They rent boats and have a ton of them. I am not sure how pricing is. Also, not sure if there is a ski course anywhere around, but there are tons of coves that are big enough. Very clear and deep lake. Also, I like to head away from the lake and down Obey River to board since it gets smoother and smoother as you go!
Old 07-20-2017, 11:09 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT
Our family has had a house boat at Sulphur creek since the 70's. The marina has a couple pretty big ones, I just have never rented one so I do not know the details of that. Sulphur is the northernmost marina, I have heard of other great ones (Star Point, Sunset), I just know sulphur the best. There is a ski course in Fanny's creek and there are plenty of coves to tuck into for skiing and other activities. I would say skiing is better on Cumberland, but if you get up early you will have no problem finding good water. There are cliff to jump off of and a few marinas where you can get a good bite to eat as well.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X-Star, 330 LTR
I have been to both. I preferred cumberland. More forky longer coves with glass water.

But I think this can be found at dale hollow as well. We just stayed in a bad spot i think. We were in the farthest nw cove that extends into Kentucky. That cove was always busy, but to get anywhere else was a 5 mile boat trip 1 way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2017, 12:42 PM
MC Addict

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
It is a much better lake than Norris or Cumberland ... less crowed and flat water

They also offer free gas

Seriously it is a terrific lake ... but remember half of the lake is in dry counties so no opportunity to buy beer
Old 07-20-2017, 01:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft TriStar 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit628 View Post
I have been to both. I preferred cumberland. More forky longer coves with glass water.

But I think this can be found at dale hollow as well. We just stayed in a bad spot i think. We were in the farthest nw cove that extends into Kentucky. That cove was always busy, but to get anywhere else was a 5 mile boat trip 1 way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Lower side connected to the river is much less crowded. We could get glass until about noon! If it got crowded we headed down the river a bit and more glass.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 PROSTAR 205
Try renting out of Sunset Marina. Been going there for 13 yrs now. Love it.