Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 12-25-2011, 08:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190

Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-12-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:16 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMann View Post
I bought the hex bolts with the exhaust hose from Skidim, now I need to get the allens out one time so I can replace them. I need to know what size allen I need.
Mine was 8mm(metric).... cut the short end off half way... I'll probably not use the thing for years and have to cut down another one when its time to do the gasket job again.

I wonder if there is a special tool made, or if the certified marine mechanics make the same chopped allen wrench.

At least the solution is easy.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
I will have to try the 8mm to see if that fits. I was thinking an American made Ford would have standard hardware not metric, my bad. Skidim recommended switching to the hex head bolts so I bought them. Hopefully they are easier to get on and off without grinding down a wrench.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:36 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
I will have to try the 8mm to see if that fits. I was thinking an American made Ford would have standard hardware not metric, my bad. Skidim recommended switching to the hex head bolts so I bought them. Hopefully they are easier to get on and off without grinding down a wrench.
The hex heads weren't that tough...just a bit tedious, lubed up the threads and was able to almost spin the screws all the way down by hand.

I thought I used a 5/16 but went out to take a look in my tool box...sure enough it was an 8mm. I bought my gasket and bolts from inboardonline.com.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:18 AM
MC Fanatic

Thanks guys. Today I received my 3" hose, hex bolts, gaskets and throttle cable from SkiDim. Now you know what I hope to be doing this weekend.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Received the McMaster-Carr 1" Foil foam package (8').

Removed foam lining from engine dog house. Came out in 3 nice pieces. Started the process of Goof-Off and paint scraper the old adhesive.

The old adhesive removal is going to be rather tedious from the first indications.

Take some pics tomorrow, not that there is much to see.

Hope to have this project finished over the next few days.

This weekend: New riser hoses and reinstalling left riser with new hardware.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
Received the McMaster-Carr 1" Foil foam package (8').

Removed foam lining from engine dog house. Came out in 3 nice pieces. Started the process of Goof-Off and paint scraper the old adhesive.

The old adhesive removal is going to be rather tedious from the first indications.

Take some pics tomorrow, not that there is much to see.

Hope to have this project finished over the next few days.

This weekend: New riser hoses and reinstalling left riser with new hardware.
Lumbergh,
I am going to be doing the same work this weekend good luck with removing the adhesive. It's not fun but not as bad once you get going. I noticed in your pictures your exhaust doesn't have a silent master and we both have a 1991 PS. What engine does yours have, I am curious why there is a difference, I have the silent master and you don't. I look forward to seeing the pictures of you progress.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:53 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
Quote:
Lumbergh,
I am going to be doing the same work this weekend good luck with removing the adhesive. It's not fun but not as bad once you get going. I noticed in your pictures your exhaust doesn't have a silent master and we both have a 1991 PS. What engine does yours have, I am curious why there is a difference, I have the silent master and you don't. I look forward to seeing the pictures of you progress.
Can you even find Silent Master replacements??? I have looked online for them but I ain't ever found anything on them.... Mine was leaking on one side and I pacthed it but I plan to pull all of the exhaust out next year. When I do I'm going to be doing a proper repair job on the SM. I would like to know what it looks like on teh inside.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:37 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobilly View Post
Can you even find Silent Master replacements??? I have looked online for them but I ain't ever found anything on them.... Mine was leaking on one side and I pacthed it but I plan to pull all of the exhaust out next year. When I do I'm going to be doing a proper repair job on the SM. I would like to know what it looks like on teh inside.
Did you try Lex at Rambo?

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
LOL I did a search of Rambo but all it came up with was First Blood.... You got any info on that place??? I don't know it....

Found it man, Rambo Marine.... I'll check in to it bud, thanks!

Last edited by psychobilly; 12-29-2011 at 09:35 AM.