Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 10-21-2018, 12:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
How do you wash your cover?

Putting the boat away for the season and I'm wondering how everyone washes their boat cover? Hose down on the lawn? Bathtub? Detergent or no? Or what else?

FWIW I have an aftermarket black Sunbrella cover and have typically washed by hand in the tub. Obviously I don't want to compromise the water repelling properties.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:47 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I wash my cover about every 3 years then re-waterproof it with 303 waterproofing. I pull the cover off, snap all the clips and close all the openings then take it to the laundry mat. I play the nice lady there $10 (along with any charges for the machine). I have her wash the cover in one of the large machine with cold water and usually Tide then finish with Downey fabric conditioner.

After dropping everything off I head over to the bar across the street, have lunch and get a call about an hour later to pick everything up. I take my cover home, stretch it out on the patio to dry then once dry use a garden sprayer to soak the cover with 303 waterproof protection.

This process takes quite a bit of time but I try to time it when I can be getting other things done during the process. It's worked quite well for me.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14 MCX w/Powerslot
If you're using 303 on the cover make sure it's the fabric guard and not regular 303.
I've used regular on my bimini but not the sunbrella cover.

I wash my cover every couple seasons. Big brush and dawn on the deck. Hose it off, let it dry.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
I washed the cover once with a low power pressure washer while on the boat. Since the cover was not exactly water tight, a lot of water leaked through and dripped on the upholstery. Oops.

The next time, I first pressure washed the drive way, then laid the cover on the pavement, and used a pressure washer on the cover. I laid it on the grass to dry, didn't take long. Once dry, I laid it back on the pavement and applied 303 with a big brush.

I know it can be washed in a big commercial machine, but I figured that would take more time that I didn't want to spend.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Commercial laundry mat washer and NikWax Tec Wash. Line dry
Old 10-21-2018, 08:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
Lay it on the driveway and wash with mild soap and soft “blue” surhold brush.

If you lay it on the grass it will kill it if the sun is out, it burns it up and it doesn’t take long.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
If you lay it on the grass it will kill it if the sun is out,
True. My cover was dry in about an hour, and my grass escaped unscathed.