Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2017, 04:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar, VRS225, 1994, LT1
Question Help! - 1994 Maristar VRS225 Muffler Removal

I've read many posts online about my issue, but am looking for insight on how to start the fix process.

I have a cracked port side muffler and I'm taking on water via a slow leak with both engine off and engine running. It's enough to fill the rear bilge compartment overnight about 3/4 full so definitely time to repair or replace. The crack looks small enough that I should be able to follow the advice others have posted and get it re-glassed at a local shop (or perhaps tackle the repair myself).

My first question is simple, has anyone removed the muffler without major disassembly of the motor or removal of surrounding parts / systems? The compartment area is tight and I'm not convinced I'll be able to remove the exhaust hose clamps and snake the muffler out without some near impossible clearances. Also, how fragile are the exhaust hoses; if I disturb them is it almost certain they will be damaged / crumble?

My final question is about doing some preventative maintenance. As long as I'm going to get really dirty and fight the contortions to get one out, should I pull them both and have the "good" one reinforced to head off what seems to be the inevitable future crack on the starboard side? Or, as a general rule for MasterCraft owners, should I stick to a philosophy of "if it's not broke, don't fix it"?

Any advice on how to tackle this project is appreciated. Learning fast, but so many things I don't understand about the complete motor / transmission / cooling / exhaust systems and maintenance and repairs. Thanks!

JR

Tags
cracked, exhaust, leaking, maristar, muffler