Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2018, 11:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 prostar 197
What trailers work for Prostar 197?

We have a 2003 Prostar 197. We never needed a trailer before so I don't know much about them but now we do need one. Can someone please tell me everything I need to look for in buying a used trailer for this boat:

3000 lb capacity is sufficient?
Certain type of bunks?
Double axle needed?
Which brands/models work?
Brakes needed?
Protection for propeller needed?
Certain design needed to protect fins?
Standard hitch for my SUV?
Anything else I need to know?

Recommendations for where to find a used trailer (in addition to Ebay, Craigslist, Boat Trader)?

Thanks very much for the help!
Old 08-11-2018, 11:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Malibu 23 LSV, 1990 Prostar 190
They're all pretty much custom made so if you're going to do much towing you can get a ps197 trailer used, have a new one made or have a similar one modified to fit your boat. If you just need a temporary solution you can get by with a similar trailer and cautious loading/ driving.

Obviously a custom one is going to fit. If you're looking for a similar one the capacity and length are important. It has to be in inboard trailer so the running gear has clearance. It needs to be the right length and a welding shop can move the bunks if needed.

If I were in your shoes my first choice would be to order a Boatmate. Single axle for short trips, tandem if you do a lot of highway towing. Surge brakes are standard for these types of trailers but I'd prefer electric over hydraulic. If you're towing w/ a large vehicle you could probably skip the brakes for a PS197 but brakes are good.

Obviously a used trailer could be cheaper just don't spend too much modding one and wish you bought a new one. A used PS197 trailer is probably your best bet but may prove hard to find.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:32 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Bump-I maybe looking at a new trailer. My 02 is just not hacking it! Any ideas?

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 08-27-2018, 08:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Bump-I maybe looking at a new trailer. My 02 is just not hacking it! Any ideas?
https://littlerock.craigslist.org/bo...681698346.html

DS

Old 08-27-2018, 10:25 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Wow! That one looks worth going after. Good price, nice trailer. . .
Old 08-27-2018, 11:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft Prostar 197 & 1989 190
I need a 197 trailer due to a wreck. I have researched the crap out out this and I have come to the conclusion that www.Boatmatetrailers.com is the way to go. Finding a used one is a needle in a haystack. I'm sure several will appear once I place my order this week. I don't believe the X2 and 197 hull are close to the same, are they?
Old 08-28-2018, 06:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
That x2 trailer may have capacity and width but the bunks would be wrong and the axle is likely too far back due to x2 being v drive.

Interesting idea would be to see what it would cost to modify a nice used trailer vs buying new. If you are ok with it, could save a few bux. You would need to have a shop or person you trust to do the work.

You could also look for malibu or nautique direct drive trailers then plan to have the bunks adjusted. Way easier than moving and axle...
Old 08-28-2018, 09:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft Prostar 197 & 1989 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
That x2 trailer may have capacity and width but the bunks would be wrong and the axle is likely too far back due to x2 being v drive.

Interesting idea would be to see what it would cost to modify a nice used trailer vs buying new. If you are ok with it, could save a few bux. You would need to have a shop or person you trust to do the work.

You could also look for malibu or nautique direct drive trailers then plan to have the bunks adjusted. Way easier than moving and axle...
Good point. For some reason I totally forgot that the X2 is v Drive. At this point I think I will go new as I have some insurance money to use towards the purchase. The lady that hit me "did not have coverage in effect the day of the accident" so it's my policy covering the claim.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Prostar (previous boat 2002 197)
The Prostar 197 hull went from 2002 to 2013 so I think you can use any of those years.
Double check me, but I had an 2002 and pretty sure the hull did not change til 2014. You would think in all of those years, you could find one
Old 08-28-2018, 10:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Something else, DD 2004 red/white/black
Found this company in Greenville,tx. https://easttexas.craigslist.org/bod...672721570.html

May go by, in a few weeks, to check them out.

Also, to the OP. If you rarely use a trailer, can't see you spending the extra, for a double axle.

There's always, someone looking for doubles, so needing to sell there single. Post on ski-it-again.

I will say, like mentioned before. Axle placement on a single, is more critical, than a double.

To far back, puts extra tongue weight on rear of vehicle. Lifting front end. So keep that in mind, if buying an off brand. or non Prostar specific.

Especially, for those who travel, to lakes at speed.

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.

Tags
trailer