Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2015, 12:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
Man, I'm seeing this from another angle altogether! Here in the Midwest, that price is more than fair if boat isn't jacked up. Honestly, i haven't looked at a single pic of your uncles 30, but I think it's super safe to say that the 30 and XStar hold their value more than they probably deserve to.....

I get the "ounce of prevention" theory for dealing w/ family in financial matters, but good grief, I wouldn't let that be the deal breaker. Your uncle's decision to purchase a top notch boat and then not use it a lick, sounds like some of my family members, so that alone is meaningless when evaluating it (to me). Same deal w/ boat hours...

I think I'm the only dude in the world who subscribes to the "boat engine hours are meaningless" when qualifying a boat as a potential keeper or stinker. I'd be much more interested in getting all facts (ie service records) that demonstrate proper winterization, timely engine servicing, mechanical issues that were fixed, etc... And of course, take it out for a nice long ride on water to make my decision. If you didn't know your uncle from Adam than you don't know how he treated his stuff, so maybe he was a complete boating goober, but if he took basic care of boat than, god bless him, you got a boat w/ less than 50 hours on engine (WTH ever that means)...
Old 08-24-2015, 02:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
That's a good price for that year, the part of the condition I can see from your photos and well, yellow. You're already doing the right thing having a mechanic that knows these boats well inspect it. I'd be surprised if the compression and leak down test wasn't part of that deal but worth double checking. After that, do your own through inspection and test drive. Perfect it's not, but for that price I wouldn't be too upset if I had a small list of things to repair.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X30 Cadillac LQ-9
I was in the same situation about a year ago. Boat was sitting for 7 years and only had 79 hours on her. The trailer tires didn't even hold air. Shoot I didn't even test drive it but it was the best "crazy" decision of my life! I did get lucky and the old owner had all the paperwork from the dealer with all service/winterize records. All I did was drain the all the old gas, change the oil in the motor and v-drive and she fired right up. As of yesterday she has 160 hours and is running strong.

I too agree and never make deals with family or friends but that's a great price. I'd say as long as the block was drained and the boat wasn't sitting outside in the snow (which I highly doubt from your screen name) I'd feel safe to pull the trigger.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None Yet, Looking at Mastercaft x-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMMER99 View Post
I was in the same situation about a year ago. Boat was sitting for 7 years and only had 79 hours on her. The trailer tires didn't even hold air. Shoot I didn't even test drive it but it was the best "crazy" decision of my life! I did get lucky and the old owner had all the paperwork from the dealer with all service/winterize records. All I did was drain the all the old gas, change the oil in the motor and v-drive and she fired right up. As of yesterday she has 160 hours and is running strong.

I too agree and never make deals with family or friends but that's a great price. I'd say as long as the block was drained and the boat wasn't sitting outside in the snow (which I highly doubt from your screen name) I'd feel safe to pull the trigger.
That is awesome! Definitely no snow where we are :-) Waiting to hear back from the mechanic today and hopefully everything checks out.

Tags
2006 x-30, mastercraft x30, x-30