Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 01:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Prostar 197 TT 350 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVol481 View Post
Driveshaft seal it is.

I could hear water trickling in when boat was in water, and could see a fairly steady stream coming out below shaft when boat was pulled out of water.

Will try and tighten packing, but is this something you would be comfortable waiting to fix until off season?

Just a thought and someone could correct this, but my dripless shaft seal has a water line run to it that drips/empties when the boat comes out of the water. If you saw it coming in from there you're probably onto it, but maybe not if you just saw it on the way out. See the stream of water from the shaft in this pic from my driveway running on a bucket:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 01:42 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfeetham View Post
I also hit a submerged log, damaged the prop and replaced that. Boat is leaking and just discovered it is coming from the base of the rudder housing...guess the rudder took a hard hit too. I have a '94 Prostar 205 and need to replace the rudder housing - I think - any quick parts list I need for that model year, and pointers on how to do it and/or what I should watch out for? Looks like 4 bolts and some sealant is needed. Thanx
3M 4200 for the sealant
Old 05-26-2017, 09:42 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 XStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilcox11 View Post
Leaking through driveshaft would be my first look if you just hit something and the problem wasn't there before.
Yeah this could be it, this is what happened to my star, that log hitting the prop could have messed with the dripless cup. Id check there first
Old 05-26-2017, 11:14 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '06 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMEngdahl View Post
Just a thought and someone could correct this, but my dripless shaft seal has a water line run to it that drips/empties when the boat comes out of the water. If you saw it coming in from there you're probably onto it, but maybe not if you just saw it on the way out. See the stream of water from the shaft in this pic from my driveway running on a bucket:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you're correct about this.

When I had the boat dropped into water from dry storage, I immediately jumped in boat and started looking/listening in the engine bilge area. It seemed to me that I was taking on water from somewhere in that area, but couldn't pin point it.

After pulling boat out on the trailer I was hyper aware of watching the driveshaft/rudder areas.

I do believe I miss interpreted the drip less system draining out below driveshaft as a leak instead of it properly draining.

Spoke with Eric at OJ when I picked up my beautiful new prop yesterday, and he confirmed that it will drain quite a bit of water.

At home I filled the bilge with hose water and nothing leaked out, so I'm hoping I was wrong about a leak in the first place. I'm somewhat wondering if a ballast check valve has cracked and is leaking into bilge. Had a similar issue a few years ago.

Going to test new prop this weekend, and triple check all fittings/hoses.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:07 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: X 25 2011
Can anybody tell me the part number for the shaft packing, and a short introduction how to replace?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2017, 08:45 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewName View Post
Can anybody tell me the part number for the shaft packing, and a short introduction how to replace?

==> instruction tutorial here <==

If you shaft is 1"diameter use, 1/4" diameter packing rings

If your shaft is 1-1/8" diameter use, 3/16" diameter packing rings
Old 05-29-2017, 11:01 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewName View Post

Just do a google search regarding drive shaft packing and you'll find some videos on how to replace.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:06 PM
TT Regular

New OJ 848 prop worked out very well. Much better hole shot and smoothness at lower speeds. No vibration and am relieved that there doesn't seem to be problem with alignment.

Found source of leak, cracked check valve on bow ballast bag fill line. Valve is directly under engine and is going to be a fun replacement.

Tags
damage, leak, prop