Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-21-2018, 02:45 AM
Your average middle aged overweight skier Your average middle aged overweight skier is offline
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft X10
Drain plug light

Hey gang,

I was looking at purchasing the double head vega drain plug light from boatpluglight.com but couldn't find any pictures of the light installed. Has anyone purchased this light, and if so, do you have any pictures. I don't want to drop $450.00 on something that doesn't work.

Can you guys shine some light on this topic... get it... I'm hilarious. I'm here all week. But seriously. I need assistance with the above previously stated issue.

Thanks!!
Old 04-21-2018, 08:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
There are a couple things to consider with drain plug lights. Will they interfere with the trim/wake plates or other wake devices? If there is some sort of center mounted wake device, will it block or create a shadow in the light? If you trailer the boat, will you need to remove the drain plug light often, in order to drain the bilge? This will likely cause the cable to fail. If its a larger light with its own drain plug, refer back to #1.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:17 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
User name checks out!

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 04-26-2018, 03:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
I have the basic model from boatpluglight.com, which it appears they dont sell anymore, but its very similar to this one: https://www.boatpluglight.com/collec...-2-solid-brass

Youll need a 1/2 to 3/4 NPT adapter if your drain plug is 3/4 NPT (99% sure your 01 model has 3/4 like my 99). I also got the T fitting from their site so I can still use the drain plug. Mine is 900 lumens and it puts out decent light, especially for a drain plug light. Id imagine the 1200 lumen model is even brighter.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2018, 08:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x-14 2008 mcx
I like it !!
Old 04-29-2018, 02:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
I'd be hesitant to purchase a drain plug light over seablaze - the drainplug lights are low wattage and use old inefficient tech to give you constant current VIA a LARGE resistor.

For 1/10th the money I built a true 100watt RGB system that is controllable via a remote or your phone. RGBW where each color is a true 100Watts - so its a 400watt LED system (Equivalent to about 4000watt halogen system).

I OWN the double Vega. It's installed and is a decent unit but DOES not compare to my home built unit.

Happy to chat you up on this if your interested in hearing about it.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:57 AM
MC Devotee

OH and I had to build an adapter for the boatpluglight..... so no ITS NOT WORTH $450.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
Who on earth would pay $450 for a boat plug light? I paid $50 for the light plus another $10 for the thread adapter.

Edit: I see now in OPs original post hes looking at a $450 unit from boatpluglight.com. In that case, no I wouldnt recommend that route. If youre going to drop that kind of coin you might as well do it right. Boat plug lights are for those of us who rarely go out at night and just want something that looks cool but doesnt break the bank. But if youre looking to spend nearly $500 on underwater lights, do it right and go with seablaze or similar like VP46 suggested.

Last edited by dvsone79; 04-29-2018 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 X Star LY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP46 View Post
For 1/10th the money I built a true 100watt RGB system that is controllable via a remote or your phone. RGBW where each color is a true 100Watts - so its a 400watt LED system (Equivalent to about 4000watt halogen system).

I OWN the double Vega. It's installed and is a decent unit but DOES not compare to my home built unit.

Happy to chat you up on this if your interested in hearing about it.

Im interested to see this. Did it require any fabrication or were all the parts readily available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2018, 12:47 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJmc View Post
Im interested to see this. Did it require any fabrication or were all the parts readily available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabricate? Yes Some fabrication of existing parts that were not originally designed to be an underwater light.

I'll post pictures video etc once I get the boat in the water.

Stats:
Red Green Blue White - each top of the line COB LEDs
Remote controlled and can be music controlled via app on phone
6A total draw
Each light is water cooled but has electronic thermal protection

All four Lights Can be permanently mounted.....but in its current iteration are not. Why aren't they permanently mounted? Even though it's in a aluminum case it's still DIY.

I will be having cases made....

Tags
drain plug, drain plug light, lights, underwater lights