Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-29-2017, 02:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
Anyone in the sub-50 age class had a hip replacement?

Going under the knife mid-Feb. If you had it, how was the recovery and how did it impact your watersports after fully recovered?

Needed it months ago. Very debilitating, but had to schedule after goose/duck season and before lake season. Priorities!
Old 12-29-2017, 03:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 07 xstar
look into stem-cell replacement first before your hip replacement
Old 12-29-2017, 03:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/di...trip-report/p1

Good read from an experience skier...
Good luck!
Old 12-29-2017, 03:35 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
look into stem-cell replacement first before your hip replacement
Stem cell won't fix zero cartilage left and severe torn labrum unfortunately. Time for bionic hip
Old 12-29-2017, 03:41 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by André View Post
http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/di...trip-report/p1

Good read from an experience skier...
Good luck!
excellent read. thank you
Old 12-29-2017, 09:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 205
I'm a PT and have seen it a lot with those with hip dysplasia and some that are just rough on their body. Find a surgeon that does anterior approach (smaller incision, faster rehab). Skiing shouldn't be an issue down the road.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
10+ years into hip resurfacing. Did Birmingham hip at 36 years old. Durability far above traditional replacement.

Slalom and barefoot ski a couple times/week

Run 3x/week to stay fit

Lift weights other 3 days/week....including heavy squats, lunges, dead lifts, cleans, etc

Play soccer year round in leagues w guys 1/2 my age

Resurface has taken all abuse I can give it...

I would strongly consider resurface over replacement

Had it done in December and was skiing in June

No impact exercise for 1 year

Pm me if you want to discuss further

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 12-30-2017, 02:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
Had hip resurfacing 16 years ago, gave up running and court sports (hoops, racquet) but still mountain biking, road biking, snow skiing, water skiing.

Resurfacing leaves much of your femur in place with a resurfacing to the ball end rather than shortening the femur and inserting a post into the hollow cut end. As a younger, active patient this leaves more skeleton and less muscular cutting for the next surgery which is likely as most are only expected to last 10-15 tears.

Likely headed in for good side next year or two.

My wife will tell you that I was wrong about having a high threshold for pain and was more of a PITA prior to the surgery, which will give you great relief.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
Had hip resurfacing 16 years ago, gave up running and court sports (hoops, racquet) but still mountain biking, road biking, snow skiing, water skiing.

Resurfacing leaves much of your femur in place with a resurfacing to the ball end rather than shortening the femur and inserting a post into the hollow cut end. As a younger, active patient this leaves more skeleton and less muscular cutting for the next surgery which is likely as most are only expected to last 10-15 tears.

Likely headed in for good side next year or two.

My wife will tell you that I was wrong about having a high threshold for pain and was more of a PITA prior to the surgery, which will give you great relief.
Do some research for yourself. Moosehead captures some good points here.

I would only debate the 10-15 year longevity as all the research I continue to read suggests much longer for active resurface patients....25-30 years. Since it was approved by the FDA in 2006, US stats are incomplete....you'll need to look at European stats for like prosthesis

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 12-30-2017, 09:41 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X30 6.0L
Sorry to rain on parades and not wanting do online consults. But lots of poor advice going on. Basically all is personal advice and that has little scientific validity.

I am an ortho surgeon.

1. Stem cells while a great concept have never worked and may never as I tell people what happens if the stem cell decides to be a liver cell or a toe nail cell. Also if it is not paid for by insurance most likely has no significant use or impact.

2. Anterior approach is new so is all the rage = marketing and we as patients love the newest and greatest unfortunately that is not time tested and we often stop using certain implant and techniques a few years later. Unfortunately you would have been the one that had the surgery and there is no going back. There has been no clinical differences between anterior and posterior approaches in longer term follow up. Posterior less of a chance of a limp and more chance of early dislocation. Listen to your PT when they teach you restrictions.

Trust your surgeon and let him do his job.

3. Hip resurfacing please read previous about new technologies and techniques. Basically has been abandoned by most the few that are still doing it are facing greater scrutiny. While wear rates are lower the metal on metal surface creates small micro chromium debris and this is getting into the blood stream all in all not a good thing. Stick to polyethylene cup and most do a ceramic head. But once again trust your surgeon.

Lastly this will wear out you will have a much bigger surgery in the future, but if you cannot go on it is an option. People do life and once it doesn’t hurt do way too much. I would surf yes. Waterski maybe but not a genius move as the falls can be unpredictable and happen on every run. Wake boarding no way going in the air and landing with a metal bone interface = your femur is like a splitting maul in a piece of wood. Stupid

Take it for what it is worth. Ask questions and if you found a surgeon you like and trust go for it.