Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 10:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1999 330HP Powerslot - 1st MC 1987 ProStar Current 2012 ProStar 197
Need input and recommendations. I can't believe this happened.

Hey Team,

I've kept quite till my dealer had time to look at my boat after the winterizing rush. I have a 2012 ProStar with an Ilmor 6.0ltr. The boat only has 156 hours on it! (busy schedule with kids haven't used it much). All services done by Echo Bay in CT, a MasterCraft dealer. I baby this boat! It looks and ran like it was brand new. I don't hot rod it or beat on it. We use it for skiing, barefooting, wake boarding and tubing. I heard this morning the news I was hoping NOT too here. I spun a rod! The first rod in the cylinder. Please note I am absolutely dumb when it comes to motors but I know enough to maintain and keep a motor running well. (This is my 3rd MasterCraft) Mechanically its like a foreign language. Here's what happen:

On the Monday of Labor Day weekend I was pulling my 14 yr old son and 12 yr old daughter tandem skiing. They both were done and let go so I pulled back on the throttle and started to turn around. As I completed my turn my oil pressure alarm goes off so I immediately turned off the motor. We sat there for about 10 minutes and I checked the oil level and it was normal. I turned the motor over again (did not put it in gear) and within 10 seconds alarm goes off. After that I never started the motor again. I was towed home and the next day pulled the boat out of the water.

My dealer is telling me I need a new long block at $9K all said and done. I will say Echo Bay has always been good to me so I have no reason to doubt them but I wonder......He said if they rebuilt the motor it would be a few grand less however he said the 6ltr and 6.2 ltr have had "issues" every time they've rebuilt them.

My boat is BRAND new basically and with only 156 hours on it this type of malfunction should not have happened to a babied boat. The dealer tells me that Ilmor is not usually willing to help out its customers but he will do his best when speaking with them. I also plan on talking with Ilmor directly to let them know this lack of quality for their product is unacceptable and they need to do something for me. My father had something very similar on one of his Yamaha out boards and Yamaha split the cost. Oh and his motor had 905 hours on it!!

-Has anyone dealt with Ilmor directly? Or have you dealt with a manufacturer and could provide input on how to best approach this?
-Has anyone heard of issues with the 6.0ltr Ilmor motor? I never did till this happened?

I am open and willing to listen to anyone who could help give me guidance on this....

Thanks for listening and recommendations.

Merry Xmas to me.......
PT
Old 12-12-2017, 10:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
The only time I would ever go with a completely new block is:
1) Previous one is trashed and cannot be salvaged.
2) Swapping to a different motor.

They need to find a new engine builder if their current one is having "issues".

It's hard to make an estimate without knowing what's wrong with the motor, but I cannot see your bill being more than 3-4K for removing/rebuilding/installing the current motor.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Agreed with Shaun.

You basically have no time on that motor and it makes enough power that it should never be struggling that hard. I would replace the bad rod, and check all of the other bearings and surfaces. You may have just got a bad one; which can happen.

Assuming it is just the one bad one and the rest of the motor was not affected, there would be no need to rebuild the whole motor.

If you wanted to upgrade the motor with forged running gear or a cam swap or higher compression pistons, then now would be a good time to do it.

Just my $0.02.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
time for a different mechanic, the LS engines are used everywhere and are generally easy engines to repair.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:41 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Did you buy the boat new? You're still potentially within 5 years (barely), is there a chance for warranty work?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
2012 was 3 year warranty

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2017, 12:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1999 330HP Powerslot - 1st MC 1987 ProStar Current 2012 ProStar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Did you buy the boat new? You're still potentially within 5 years (barely), is there a chance for warranty work?
I bought it used from a MasterCraft sponsored skier. She had it for 1 month & 1/2. When I purchased it the boat only had 20 hours on it. That was in 2012.

Correct warranty is only 3 years.....
Old 12-12-2017, 01:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redTA View Post
time for a different mechanic, the LS engines are used everywhere and are generally easy engines to repair.

^^^^This.
A spun rod bearing does not = a long block replacement.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 pro 190, 1999 sportstar 190 OB, 2003 209 6.0L
From your description, the dealer must have pulled motor the already as I can't see a way to inspect it without doing so. I would take it to the best performance shop in the area and it rebuilt. I would however never replace 1 bearing or even all of the main bearings with out doing all bearings and the oil pump in the lower end. Also and even more important, What was the oil pressure running before this happened?> These things usually just fail. There is a root cause as to why it failed. They need to address that at the time of repair or you will be back. As for the long block repair, they just either don't know how to tear done diagnose and repair or don't want to. It is quicker to just swap it out. The liability also goes to MC as well then.
I have the 6.0 in my 209 and love it, great motor so far. Good luck with the repairs

Last edited by ktmrider6; 12-12-2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-12-2017, 01:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 Mastercraft X-Star 50th Anniversary
I’d call around. Seems way high