Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-03-2017, 02:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Well, they did to ohio what they did to penn last year so at least they are consistent in that fact.
Respectfully disagree, what the committee did was select who they thought was the "true best team" in the big ten over the big ten champ.

If they had followed the same precedent, Georgia would be out and Bama in.

Two big ten teams did not go to the CFP.

But again I am really only puzzling over the reasoning.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:19 PM

Boat: No Boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharmon203 View Post
Respectfully disagree, what the committee did was select who they thought was the "true best team" in the big ten over the big ten champ.

If they had followed the same precedent, Georgia would be out and Bama in.

Two big ten teams did not go to the CFP.

But again I am really only puzzling over the reasoning.
Both years they selected a non conference champ to be #4 over a conference champ. Yes, last year it was in the same conference and this year it's not.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 12-03-2017, 04:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 x30
I'm surprised they picked Bama. Bama hasn't looked good for the last 3 games. I don't think bama is a better team than Ohio State right now. Maybe earlier in the year, but not over the past few weeks. I know they have a solid case but so did a Ohio state and the buckeyes actually played yesterday. Bama was sitting at home. As for auburn, yes they did beat Georgia and Bama, but we definitely didn't look good yesterday. Gus's system either works or it doesn't, he has trouble making adjustments and he has to have a runner to make his schemes work. Georgia played a great game, they are very well coached. I think they will be playing Clemson for all the marbles.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:48 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Bummer for the Buckeye's, congratulations to Alabama.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
My take is that they looked at losses and not wins/whether or not the wins were pretty. I'm glad Bama got in, but I thought the fact that Bama squeaked by Texas A&M and Mississippi State was going to be the reason Ohio State got in over the Tide. Ohio didn't have any close games that weren't supposed to be close and one bad loss. Bama had two way too close games and a bad loss.

That being said I'm excited for my conference to be the first to have two teams make the playoffs, and echo what CR is saying about Ohio getting the same treatment Penn State did.

Can't wait to watch Faker Mayfield play an SEC defense, if he makes it past Georgia and Bama beats Clemson he is in for a real wakeup call in the Natty with Bama's defense being healthy by then. S-E-C!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
You can’t just look at wins. Losses count, too. And they should. Just as much as wins. It’s the whole body of work we’re considering. And they’ve made it clear that quality wins count for teams, but to make that metric fair, then bad losses (or losses to non-quality opponents?) should also count against teams that have them.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
You can’t just look at wins. Losses count, too. And they should. Just as much as wins. It’s the whole body of work we’re considering. And they’ve made it clear that quality wins count for teams, but to make that metric fair, then bad losses (or losses to non-quality opponents?) should also count against teams that have them.
Here's the problem and Tim brought it up earlier. With Alabama getting in, you can just about kiss goodbye the tough match-ups at the beginning of the year. We love watching those match-ups, but what has happened here is OSU is being penalized for losing twice. They should be penalized for that, but what would the conversation have been if it had just been the Iowa game. I think that's a different conversation.

We needed to create a system where tough match-ups are encouraged and rewarded. Losses should count, but IMO top 25 wins should count more because if they don't we will get more mercer's at the end of the year. As an Ohio State Fan, do I regret playing Oklahoma now? Sort of. I really enjoyed getting hyped for the game and looked forward to it but it's now labelled as a high risk game when losses become a big number that can't be explained away no matter how many top 25 teams you have beaten.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Everything they say on my sports radio station is that they only look at wins. Who you beat, and how bad they beat em. What do I know...
Old 12-04-2017, 01:36 PM

Boat: No Boat
I forgot to tell CP how happy I am that Bama kept ohio out of the playoffs!! That's a victory all by itself!!

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 12-04-2017, 02:13 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 PS197, MCX, Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I forgot to tell CP how happy I am that Bama kept ohio out of the playoffs!! That's a victory all by itself!!
I would expect nothing less.

Uh, with JT at the controls Ohio State doesn't deserve to be in because they would get crushed. Now if Haskins was playing I'd be more upset. I'm disappointed to not get watch Ohio State rematch Clemson. The way all the talking heads were going Saturday night I thought OSU would be in since they didn't play Mercer in week 11.

That's fine. Let the final come down to Clemson and Georgia. mayfield is the reincarnation of ryan leaf and everybody is tired of alabama.