Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-12-2016, 06:37 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
I had been casually looking into one of these systems as well, but a bit hesitant for a couple reasons including how quickly they become obsolete and security (who can control, watch).

Products including a lot of the DVRs / cameras made by Dahua** were easily compromised and turned into supporting to the largest Internet Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) attack a couple weeks ago. Two 18 year-old kids hacked into hundrends-of-thousands of Internet of Things (IoT) devices and turned them against an author who was starting to get too close to identifying them for their nefarious activities.* A couple keys that led to this:
- Most of the devices don't make it easy to change the passwords for these devices.
- Even those devices that do allow password change are really only changing the password to access the user interface. They can still be logged into remotely with the one user account and password programmed into the device.
- Most of us consumers don't really care how secure these devices are when we installed them into our house. Sure, they might use a little of our bandwidth - but beyond our Internet connection being a little slow, how do we know?

See: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/10/...amid-iot-mess/ for mention of the devices. Brian Krebs, who authors the articles at that site, has 4 or 5 articles on this specific topic over the past two weeks.

* I might be running a little fast and loose with the comments in this paragraph. It is my recollection from reading the blog and related articles. But since I'm not really an authoritative source, I didn't go back and confirm what I had recalled.

** Dahua has issued a statement that they will replace the compromised devices. Anything manufactured before a specific date. However, the swap process isn't operational and it appears Dahua will make it a bit difficult for anyone other than a serious IT expert to demonstrate harm.

Bongo
DON'T use the default ports for anything that can be accessed online. The script kiddies are probably scanning for default ports on IPs. Use a hardware firewall on your home network. The people that are getting hacked are the people that just plug the dvr in and don't do anything else.

Disable the default admin account
Don't use factory ports IE 80 for http access
Do use a hardware appliance with a built in firewall to block inbound factory telnet and ftp protocols and ports

It's pretty simple to secure yourself from this type of attack, take over.

Some of the critical information needed.

Quote:
-The devices were using firmware dating prior to January 2015.
-The devices were using the default user name and password.
-The devices were exposed to the internet without the protection of an effective network firewall.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!

Last edited by CantRepeat; 10-12-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:18 AM

Well, I'm considering an upgrade to my home surveillance system. It's been nearly 5 years since I installed the one we have. It's still working pretty well but I think I'm going to go with an IP based PoE system with at least 4meg cameras. The HD 2.1 coax are nice but need something with a little more resolution. Likewise, two way audio at the doors will be nice. Add in motion detection and I can be "at the house" from any where.

All the cameras will be digital watchdog with star light and I'm on the hunt for a new IP DVR.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 12-31-2017, 12:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
Anyone using WYZE cameras? $20 a pop and do everything you described.

Thinking of using an SD card and foregoing the WiFi piece.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:43 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
My parents have the wireless ring cameras and they’re awesome. My brother uses the netgear arlo system and he likes it as well.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 12-31-2017, 04:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X25 Gen 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP46 View Post
Anyone using WYZE cameras? $20 a pop and do everything you described.

Thinking of using an SD card and foregoing the WiFi piece.
Just bought my first and trying it out against my Samsung cams. First impressions:
-build quality is killer for price.
-image quality is great
-interface is great
-setup is the easiest I've ever encountered.
-the cloud storage is limited to 12 seconds per clip, but, it's free which is a huge pro.

My only gripe is that apparently with this version of the firmware, sometimes you can't connect to the camera remotely until it's power cycled. However, it still transmits the motion clips to the cloud and you can access them remotely. So, it's an inconvenience but expect it to be fixed with next generation of firmware.

Overall, for the price it's insanely worth it. Borderline disposable so I am trialing it outside to see how it holds up. If these were available when I started buying cams, I would have never bought the Samsungs.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
Cool thanks - just bought 3 ofvthem!
Old 10-12-2018, 09:28 AM

JimN

What's the hot ticket on digital watchdog POE cameras atm? Probably going to go with an 8 channel DVR and at least one PTZ camera.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:41 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Wow, so complicated.....
I have a single, mobile surveillance system. Requires daily care of approx 2 minutes (to fill food and water) and a yearly maintenance trip (to the vet for shots).
Name: German Shepherd
Version: 8.0 (Have had 7 previous versions since I was born)

Backup system is the mutt "Kinley". She's V8.1 and was supposed to be mostly Shepherd, but that's debatable. Dependable backup though becasue she's always on the heels of V8.0.

46 trips around the sun and our home has never been burglarized.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 10-12-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Wow, so complicated.....
I have a single, mobile surveillance system. Requires daily care of approx 2 minutes (to fill food and water) and a yearly maintenance trip (to the vet for shots).
Name: German Shepherd
Version: 8.0 (Have had 7 previous versions since I was born)

Backup system is the mutt "Kinley". She's V8.1 and was supposed to be mostly Shepherd, but that's debatable. Dependable backup though becasue she's always on the heels of V8.0.

46 trips around the sun and our home has never been burglarized.
Right, pick up that dog ****, sweep up that hair, buy that big security system lots of food. And I'm pretty sure his/her remote notification system only works for about 500 feet.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Love my Nest but you need the subscription to enjoy some of the best features.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
"Do you have Flake on that boat?"