Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-23-2017, 01:20 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 04' X2
04' X2 V-drive Transmission ZF Hurth 63 - recommendations

Looking for any recommendations or similar experiences that anyone might have with their ZF Hurth 63 V-drive transmissions to what I experienced, or could point me to a thread or two? The boat is a 2004 X2 with Indmar TBI with only about 430 hours on it. No prior mechanical failures of any kind.

Here is what happened: I left the dock made a turn to come back decelerating (pulling back on shift lever), when I went to accelerate the engine RPM’s revved up, but there was no propulsion. I lost all forward and reverse engagement. No check engine lights, no audible clank, bang or jolts. Luckily I wasn’t far out I was able to row back to the dock. Once back everything appeared to be working on the linkage moving forward and back on the control block, but did not appear to engage as the coupler nut that holds the propeller shaft wasn’t turning at all. No other odd engine noises. I checked the fluids and appeared fine and full.

Now, the boat is at the dealership and they discovered the transmission is not coming up to pressure and that the fluid was “burnt”. They did a filter replacement and fluid change out, but still no change. Now the recommendation is to pull the transmission and send out to shop for further diagnostics. Searching the forums and online it seems like buying a new transmission could be just as cost effective and a rebuild. What have people seen for costs to rebuild. I am fairly mechanically inclined, so have considered this as a “winter project”.

Are these transmissions that problematic? Just seems odd to have a failure like this with relatively low hours. Do not want to throw good money after bad.

Thanks in advance for any directions or additional insights anyone can provide.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:40 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2010 X-Star
My '10 Xstar with the 63 did basically the same thing this season with 300 hours. Wouldn't go into gear and no codes or anything. In the shop getting new replacement. Ran the numbers and rebuild was only about $500 cheaper. New has warranty so I opted for that route. My shop also said rebuilds don't always take very well. So I'm sharing your pain.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 x-30
Change your filter. I had the exact same thing on the 2001 x-30 I bought for 10k with a known "bad transmission" after a LOT of research I found a guy who had similar issues and had his transmission out and back in and rebuilt it 2 times. Both times with the same original filter so the problem continued. Also change your fluid to the same motor oil that your engine takes. 43$ for a filter.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
https://www.harbormarine.net/pdf/zf-...3a-80a-85a.pdf
Old 09-21-2017, 07:19 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by abe2branscome View Post
Change your filter. I had the exact same thing on the 2001 x-30 I bought for 10k with a known "bad transmission" after a LOT of research I found a guy who had similar issues and had his transmission out and back in and rebuilt it 2 times. Both times with the same original filter so the problem continued. Also change your fluid to the same motor oil that your engine takes. 43$ for a filter.
What filter do you like for replacement? My 2000 manual says to use 15w40 for the engine. What oil do you suggest for the tranny? The transmission in my boat is making a grinding noise sometimes when idling in neutral.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 x-30
15w40 in the transmission also. By nature these are noisy transmissions. ZF hurth recommends the motor oil to quiet them down. Below is the link to the filter kit that I used.

https://bpi.ebasicpower.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=711
Old 09-23-2017, 11:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 diesel x-star
im having a similar issue w mine. I have not got to the point you are at, but my eng rpm is higher than it should be under heavy load indication the clutches are slipping. Im a heavy equipment mechanic for CAT, so I have mechanical experience, but not a lot of boat specific experience. A boat transmission looks very simple to me compared to what in used to. The first thing that needs to be identified before anyone replaces their transmission is WHY it is not working. The filter is an easy place to start however the filters on these (mine anyway) is only a screen, which will only plug with a LOT of metal or clutch material in it. The first step after confirming the linkage is working properly (remove linkage and check that the cable moves it the full range). would be to check the shift pressure. There is a trans pump of some sort built into the trans. the control valve controls the max shift pressure with a relief valve. The pressure then goes to pistons that compress the clutches together. In my other recent post u can see this is why i want to know the spec for clutch shift press. If the clutch shift pressure is good and u still have no propel its likely the clutches are burnt/slipping, likely from low clutch pressure.
low pressure can be caused by simple things like loose bolt on the screen hold down allowing air to leak in. Another possible cause is if the relief valve spring gets weak or fails. You guys that r planning on swapping ur trans need to look at the simple things first. If ur trans oil is burnt and gross chances are its too late and its nfg already. I dont see why a rebuild would not work well also. These transmissions are single speed/clutch pack. You could reseal it and rebuild the control valve pretty easilly i would think as long as you have identified the root cause.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:38 PM
TT Regular

found the spec in the manual someone posted. 315psi thanks!
Old 09-29-2017, 06:03 PM
TT Regular

my issue was the filter seal was not sealing and allowing air in. I thightened it up and problem solved. checked shift pressure before running and had 325psi low idle and 350psi at 3000rpm. This i likely what happens where people replace the filter and all of a sudden it works. dont get me wrong, its possible for that screen to plug, but it would take a LOT, to the point where the trans is prob shot if that screen is plugged
Old 09-29-2017, 07:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
Quote:
Originally Posted by simba View Post
my issue was the filter seal was not sealing and allowing air in. I thightened it up and problem solved. checked shift pressure before running and had 325psi low idle and 350psi at 3000rpm. This i likely what happens where people replace the filter and all of a sudden it works. dont get me wrong, its possible for that screen to plug, but it would take a LOT, to the point where the trans is prob shot if that screen is plugged
Would not be the first time I have heard about a transmission filter causing issues. Also people keep complaining about the hurth transmission being loud. Mine is as quiet or quieter than my last velvet DD on my last mastercraft.

Tags
hurth, transmission, v-drive, zf hurth