Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 X-15
Registration numbers removal

Just purchased 06 X-15 the boat was originally registered in CA then AZ now back in CA so there were 3 different sets of CF/AZ numbers i have looked at multiple products/ professional restoration i cant get a picture of it because it doesn't show up in the pic anyone else had this issue? Is buffing it necessary or what product can i use any help would be great? the boat is a charcoal grey.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Ri257
Not sure I am following. If the reg. numbers are still on there. Peel them off and clean up the gelcoat with acetone on a rag.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:55 AM
TT Newbie

Sorry the original CF numbers were peeled off by the second owner who put az numbers on now i bought it and pulled the az numbers off and need to put the new CF numbers on it but before i do there are 2 different outlines of a set of AZ numbers and CF numbers faded into the gelcoat. so if i put my new numbers on as is you can see the old CF and AZ numbers faded behind
Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 AM
MC Maniac

So, it's into the gelcoat? Not just sticky residue that can be removed with acetone?

Or do you think it sat in the sun, so the reg. #'s are darker than the rest of the hull?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:04 AM
TT Newbie

correct there are currently no stickers or sticky residue i already removed all of that. the spots where the previous stickers were are a darker grey then the rest of the boat. i could have simplified that a little better. is there a way to get it all the same color before putting my new stickers on?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 PROSTAR
I used 3m compound on the area you described last week on mine and shadows disappeared.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:43 AM
MC Maniac

I like 3M, but you have to follow it with a polish like Finesse It-II, then wax. This is my favorite compound for a rotary buffer, it works well. As it breaks down it turns into a polish!! Really makes the boat shine!

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-mir...-compound.html
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
I have a similar issue, but my problem is on stern of boat where previous owner had lettering for boat's name. The lettering is still fairly visible because of gelcoat fading. I bought a cheapo, Ryobi 6" orbital buffer with buffing and polish bonnets to fix the problem.

Should I order both Meguiars #105 Ultra-Cut Compound and Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish? I have already purchase Meguiars premium wax for the final step. Is the polishing pad rejuvenator worth ordering or should I just toss my bonnets and pads when finished?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 04-18-2012, 06:16 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrmChzr View Post
I have a similar issue, but my problem is on stern of boat where previous owner had lettering for boat's name. The lettering is still fairly visible because of gelcoat fading. I bought a cheapo, Ryobi 6" orbital buffer with buffing and polish bonnets to fix the problem.

Should I order both Meguiars #105 Ultra-Cut Compound and Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish? I have already purchase Meguiars premium wax for the final step. Is the polishing pad rejuvenator worth ordering or should I just toss my bonnets and pads when finished?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
With white you should be able to get away with only the #105. I would re-use the bonnets and pads if you can, if not worthy, toss them.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:36 PM
TT Newbie

Does the same process apply for bringing back the color on the trailer fenders?
Attached Images