Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X2
Tripple Batteries

I have a 2004 X30 with stock single battery setup. I am redoing the sound system and want to add two batteries solely to power the sound system. I am wanting to add them in a battery box under the passenger observer's seat. What the best way to wire these while still keeping the charge lead from the alternator. I'm looking at adding an on board battery charger to top off the batteries when we get home from the lake.

Thanks
Seth
Old 03-26-2012, 04:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
The easiest way is with a manual dual battery switch and EVERYTHING (except perhaps a bilge pump/float switch if applicable) wired to the output post of the switch. Nothing else would be battery direct. The only concern with this is the collective load of two seriously depleted batteries after a duration at rest plus the continued load of a powerful audio system plus the draw of the boat operations exceeding the alternator capacity. But you can easily manage these various circumstances manually with the switch.
The alternative is a voltage sensing solenoid with a supplemental dual circuit switch for manual bypass and for isolated dual bank AC shore charging. Being mostly automatic this is more convenient and also serves to protect the alternator. However, the VSS can increase your dependency on AC shore charging which is no problem if you have the dual bank AC shore charger. Note that the wiring scheme is different with this set-up where everything is wired battery direct and the stereo and boat operations/starting are usually split up between the two battery banks.

David
Earmark Marine
Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Not sure if this matters, but I forgot to also mention that I want to leave the stock single battery in the stock location and add the two stereo batteries under the passenger oberver area.

So use a perko switch and wire everything to it. Use setting 1 as the single battery and have that selected under normal operation. Use setting 2 for the dual batteries and use while at rest for extended periods?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2012, 04:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I have mine on a perko switch. The stereo amps are wired directly to the secondary battery bank. Everything else is wired to the switch. This allows me to bring use the stereo batteries to start the boat in the event the main battery dies, but doesn't allow the stereo to drain the main battery. I have an onboard charger that I plug in at night to charge everything. The stock alternator is pretty small, so I don't ever use it to charge the stereo batteries.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
I have mine on a perko switch. The stereo amps are wired directly to the secondary battery bank. Everything else is wired to the switch. This allows me to bring use the stereo batteries to start the boat in the event the main battery dies, but doesn't allow the stereo to drain the main battery. I have an onboard charger that I plug in at night to charge everything. The stock alternator is pretty small, so I don't ever use it to charge the stereo batteries.

That's exactly what I have in mind. I usually charge up my batteries at home either when we get home or the day before we are going out. I have the stock 70amp alternator. Where did you mount the two batteries? Did you keep the single in the stock location? Pictures? Which on-board charger did you use?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I just mounted the batteries beside the stock one under the observer's seat. I don't have any pictures, but I will try to take some when I get home. I have the guest 2611a onboard charger, but I would probably go with the pro mariner prosport 20+ if I had to do it again.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft Prostar 205V
A battery isolator works great...and you don't have to manually turn any switches or dials like you do on the Perko type. I've had one for years and it's never let me down.

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-PAC-500-50...2814453&sr=1-3
Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 X-15
Are the 2 batteries in the stereo bank wired in series or parallel?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
John 3:16-18

Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-17-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Ok guys, purchased two optima blue tops for dedicated stereo batteries. Also purchased a ProMariner Prosport20 onboard charger and Perko switch. Still a little confused about wiring. Planning on keeping the stock single battery in its stock location for engine only. Two stereo batteries going under observers seat near the amps.

Can someone walk me through the wire hookup process?

Thanks