Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 02-22-2017, 05:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Mike View Post
Either way, I hope you have plenty of ventilation for that much acetone ...
a bathroom fan, 4 windows, and a door to the outside
Old 02-23-2017, 12:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_craig View Post
This was the stuff. The gel was easy to apply and clings to the surfaces you're trying to strip.

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/c...4453011555.htm
So based on my experience, this is the route I would go. Where the adhesive was thinly applied, the acetone and scrub brush was effective. Where is was a little thicker, I could use the wire brush and drill method. Where the adhesive was really thick, which is about 80% for my engine box, the only thing that works was several applications of acetone along with scrubbing. What a pain. Trying all of these methods like I did is stupid and a waste of money.

As Craig stated from his experience, plan ahead and use the citrus gel stripper (soaking for a day), then clean with acetone. This will work whether or not the adhesive is on thick or thin. I'm certain this is by far the best way to tackle this, wish I tried or knew about this method earlier.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Mastercraft X-30 and 2000 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
So based on my experience, this is the route I would go. Where the adhesive was thinly applied, the acetone and scrub brush was effective. Where is was a little thicker, I could use the wire brush and drill method. Where the adhesive was really thick, which is about 80% for my engine box, the only thing that works was several applications of acetone along with scrubbing. What a pain. Trying all of these methods like I did is stupid and a waste of money.

As Craig stated from his experience, plan ahead and use the citrus gel stripper (soaking for a day), then clean with acetone. This will work whether or not the adhesive is on thick or thin. I'm certain this is by far the best way to tackle this, wish I tried or knew about this method earlier.
Looks like Menards is phasing out that stuff for this stuff:
https://www.menards.com/main/paint/c...tm?cm_vc=PDPZ1

"Safer" usually means it doesn't work as well as the unsafe stuff did in my experience, but that's progress to save the planet I suppose.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Mastercraft X-30 and 2000 Prostar 190
I got a chance to start pulling off a section of the foam from the centerline today. Just started with getting my fingers under and digging very carefully. Surprised that even with it being as brittle as it was, I was able to take that section out in one piece and should be able to use it as a template for the replacement piece. I'll try some more next weekend as today's focus was replacing my riser exhaust gaskets. That went pretty well today thank goodness. Sometimes we do get a little luck I suppose
Old 02-26-2017, 10:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Is 8' of the McMaster stuff enough? More than enough? Thanks!