Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2010, 12:18 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 82 Stars and Stripes
82 Stars and Stripes- she might be gone

My old friend...my 82 red and white, crinkle deck, PowerSlot Stars and Stripes may be coming to an end. So, I'm calling the Stars and Stripes community for a little advice.

She's been carefully parked for a few years while me and the wife have had 2 small kids who are now getting to the age where we might get back out on the water. Pulled her out of storage and started to go thru her to get her ready to run again.

And..then...there it was. Soft decking in the aft area near the gas tank. Pulled up the carpet and ran a zip knife thru the fiberglass toplayer and discovered...rot. Lots of deck rot. Looks like at least the last two feet of exposed decking from the gas tank forward is no good. A careful inspection on the other side suggests that there is a similar area but not as big on that side as well.

So, now what to do? I'm sure if I tear into the hull, I'll likely discover stringer damage and who knows how far forward this goes. Clearly the foam has some water in it. Suspect the transom could have some issues as well.

So...are there some definitive threads on fixing this kind of damage? Or, is it time to cash her in to the great glassy water in the sky and move onto a full fiberglass boat.

I'd like to fix her if it's possible...I've had her since 89 and as anyone who's owned a SS boat knows, they are stunning on the water. Still, I don't have the time for some huge project that only postpones death.

Thoughts from the greater community? If she's gonna go down, I'll likely have some parts available for those who are restoring theirs....

*sigh* I was afraid of this day.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff N.; 06-22-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:35 AM
TT Regular

Sorry to hear it but I doubt its dead, there are some pretty ambiitus(spl) people that woill be happy to tackle it & give it the love you dont have time for.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:07 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Check out the amazing work americanskierJim has done.

COSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 06-22-2010, 08:11 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1980 Mastercraft S&S Powerslot, 351 Windsor
Send a message via AIM to americanskierJim
Hi JeffN. If you are going to sell it let me know send me a PM. I am looking for another resto. The year you have is what I am looking for. I am sorry to hear all the bad news on the boat.

Mr.MC, Thanks my friend.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:08 AM
TT Regular

Hi Jim, thanks for the note.

This is your project right? http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33649 Impressive. What year was this again? And did this boat have the flotation pockets filled with foam or not?

Can anyone point me to a good thread that shows a floor cutout and replacement with a foam pocketed boat?

Here she is a few years ago.....

Old 06-22-2010, 07:05 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190

Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-19-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
My middle section of floor gave way first when a 220+ lb buddy of mine jumped into the boat from the platform. That's why you see the 2X4 joist hangers I put between the stringers so I could use the boat for the rest of the summer. When I pulled the middle section out, my stringers seemed to be pretty solid, just a few feet of the floor panels were rotten. I can't recall exactly how I cut everything because it was so long ago, but I think I just cut very carefully with a circular saw until I got to the sides. Used a knife, chisel and sander to get the edges smooth. I have a lot more tools now!
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2010, 07:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
My boat had no foam under the floor. I replaced my exhaust hoses since I had the floor out. Back then I used treated plywood but I'm sure there are better products that can be used now. Cut and shape to fit, put a few layers of matting and resin and it was good to go. My old floor was pretty easy to pull up once it was cut. I put a few small SS screws on the new floor panels. Glued the carpet back down and no one could tell. I used the boat a few more years and I'm on my 3rd MC now. My "Little Boy" in the picture is now 21.

After doing all that work, no one was allowed to step back into the boat until they had dripped off on the platform for at least 30 seconds.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2010, 11:42 AM
TT Regular

Another interesting thread but the boat build is still different. http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36211

My exhaust runs down the center of boat; to the inside of the main stringers and not to the outside like pictured here and with Jim's boat.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Stars&Stripes, 351w, grey and blue
JeffN, sorry to hear about your troubles. What you are describing can be repaired with a lot of work. There's a thread somewhere here for doing a stringer replacement on one of the older boats (77 I think), but I can't find it. If you decide it's too much trouble, I would sell it outright instead of pieces. There are plenty of guys on here that have the knowledge and time to bring the old girl back to it's former glory (Maybe you do a swap/purchase wiht Jim for the one he just restored?).

Tags
1982, floor replacement, rot, stars and stripes, stingers