Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-15-2014, 01:30 PM
clrussell's Avatar
clrussell clrussell is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Location: midwest
Posts: 5,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by CottagerGreg View Post
I loved the sound of the 7.4 when you nail it out of the hole. sounds like a high compression, high performance V8... not like the typical V8 indmar....

Heck 522hp out of a small block N/A on regular unleaded would make any hotrod guy smiling ear to ear
X2 it sounds like an animal taking off hard! It's hard to stand on the platform with it idling, it'll about shake you off
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-15-2014, 01:45 PM
skitilldark skitilldark is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Boat: 2014 X-25 6.2 Ilmore
Location: Southeast
Posts: 555
I wish I could have afforded the 7.4 for my boat. The extra 18K talked me out of it though.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-15-2014, 02:05 PM
jason95gt jason95gt is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Boat: NA
Location: Midwest
Posts: 447
The 7.4L in an X-30 runs that boat to 55mph. We have a customer with a 2012. It is amazing in every way.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-15-2014, 03:04 PM
1redTA's Avatar
1redTA 1redTA is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
Location: Pace, FL
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
X2 it sounds like an animal taking off hard! It's hard to stand on the platform with it idling, it'll about shake you off
I agree that horsepower is impressive, but at 7.4 litres I have difficulty thinking of it as a small block.
__________________
1981 MasterCraft
19' Skier 351W PowerSlot
Long gone is the Trans AM waiting for another
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-19-2014, 03:17 AM
lashburn1's Avatar
lashburn1 lashburn1 is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 2015 X20 SS
Location: Oceanside California
Posts: 5,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason95gt View Post
The 7.4L in an X-30 runs that boat to 55mph. We have a customer with a 2012. It is amazing in every way.
What prop.?
I have a 6.2 that just feels like it spins out after 40mph-44mph
Seems like I need more prop or pitch for 425 hp
It's crazy fast out of the hope though....but we only WakeSurf so it's not that big of a deal
__________________

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-19-2014, 12:01 PM
jason95gt jason95gt is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Boat: NA
Location: Midwest
Posts: 447
lashburn1, we had a custom ACME made for the X-30 that was a smaller diameter but a bigger cupping and pitch. The customer skied and surfed and we have found that the smaller diameter props temper the ski wake without sacrificing the surf wake. If you want, I can check our database on what prop we would recommend for your 6.2L and ship it out to you.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-19-2014, 01:43 PM
lashburn1's Avatar
lashburn1 lashburn1 is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 2015 X20 SS
Location: Oceanside California
Posts: 5,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason95gt View Post
lashburn1, we had a custom ACME made for the X-30 that was a smaller diameter but a bigger cupping and pitch. The customer skied and surfed and we have found that the smaller diameter props temper the ski wake without sacrificing the surf wake. If you want, I can check our database on what prop we would recommend for your 6.2L and ship it out to you.
I did order and try
ACME 1593 4 Blade 14.5" x 16" Propeller
its OK, it just seems the Engine has SO MUCH MORE to Give ...
Like the prop is doing nothing after 4500-4800 RPM (42mph) -5800 (44mph)

I know know its not a "Speed Boat" but I was hoping to get 55MPH OUT of 425 hp..LOL


i also have the factory prop...
__________________

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-19-2014, 01:46 PM
jason95gt jason95gt is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Boat: NA
Location: Midwest
Posts: 447
You should be able to get around 46-50mph depending on how you have it propped. If it is a beast out of the hole, then you have given up that 4mph or so. 5800rpms is the where it should be.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-19-2014, 02:14 PM
scott023's Avatar
scott023 scott023 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Location: Canada
Posts: 15,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashburn1 View Post
I did order and try
ACME 1593 4 Blade 14.5" x 16" Propeller
its OK, it just seems the Engine has SO MUCH MORE to Give ...
Like the prop is doing nothing after 4500-4800 RPM (42mph) -5800 (44mph)

I know know its not a "Speed Boat" but I was hoping to get 55MPH OUT of 425 hp..LOL


i also have the factory prop...
You're right, it's not a speed boat. I know there's a prop that will get you more top end, but I'm guessing you're not footing with your boat. What do you need to go 55mph in a tugboat for?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-19-2014, 02:46 PM
lashburn1's Avatar
lashburn1 lashburn1 is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 2015 X20 SS
Location: Oceanside California
Posts: 5,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
You're right, it's not a speed boat. I know there's a prop that will get you more top end, but I'm guessing you're not footing with your boat. What do you need to go 55mph in a tugboat for?
Good point, I'm actually looking for a little better cruising speed on the river...
Right now its 25-27 mph. @3000-3300 rpm
33-35 would be nice , though maybe a prop with more pitch or surface area would help....
just learning how they work now..

The X30 Hull with no ballast does not seam to resist more speed, in fact it feels very light..
Just feels like the Prop is done at 4000 rpm or so.....

not a huge deal, just exploring options...
__________________

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:46 AM.


2018