Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 04:08 PM
TT Newbie

Lake water and sinus issues

If you suffer after a day of skiing like I do this thread is for you. I started foiling a couple days a week on a sit down Skyski in the spring of this year. There are a lot of wipe outs involved in the learning progression. These wipe outs have been a major source of misery, not in the crash its self but in the clogged sinuses afterward. I missed a lot of sleep because of this problem and if you have this issue you know how miserable it is. If you don't have this problem you can play along by thinking of the worst sinus infection or cold that totally stuffed up your nose and head and then times that by 10.

Now on to the solution that has helped me continue to do what I love and not pay for it in lost sleep and misery. I tried several things but what seems to work the best is ALWAYS wearing a nose clip. Yep it sucks but until I forced myself to wear it 100% of the time I couldn't get it under control. I keep a couple on the boat, in my truck and gear bag. Now if I don't have a clip or at least some duct tape I don't ski. However a nose clip isn't a perfect solution because somehow water still makes its way in and will still cause me problems but not as extreme. This leads me to the 2nd part of my process which is a hit of Afrin Original 12 Hour Relief in each nostril right before bed. This helps me sleep like a baby and not piss my wife off with snoring and mouth breathing.

I have been around water my whole life and do a lot of salt water activities like diving and spearfishing with none of the issues that these central Florida lakes give me. What is it in these fresh water lakes that give me this terrible reaction? Algae or pollen?
Old 09-21-2018, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Prostar 197
Lake water and sinus issues

Bacteria...loves the fresh warm water!!
Old 09-21-2018, 04:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
I normally just use a neti pot afterwords if it is a bad day
Old 09-21-2018, 05:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 09 X2
You are not alone, I have the same problem. When I was a kid trying to learning how to get up on slalom I would take in half the lake and have a sinus infection for the next 2 weeks. Even when surfing if I fall the wrong way or unexpected I still take water up my nose. I have also started being sure to use Afrin asap and especially before I go to bed that night and it has helped a lot.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:10 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81SNS View Post
You are not alone, I have the same problem. When I was a kid trying to learning how to get up on slalom I would take in half the lake and have a sinus infection for the next 2 weeks. Even when surfing if I fall the wrong way or unexpected I still take water up my nose. I have also started being sure to use Afrin asap and especially before I go to bed that night and it has helped a lot.
I don't like taking the allergy meds because they make me feel groggy. The Afrin probably isn't good for me but a mans gotta sleep.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_2_o View Post
I normally just use a neti pot afterwords if it is a bad day
I use somthing similar and it helps greatly
Old 09-21-2018, 05:31 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
I use somthing similar and it helps greatly
I should try one.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 09 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sholcomb72 View Post
I don't like taking the allergy meds because they make me feel groggy. The Afrin probably isn't good for me but a mans gotta sleep.
I agree that Afrin probably isn't good, I only use it after I think I have taken on water. However I do have a bottle in the truck, in my desk drawer at work and at the lake......
Old 09-21-2018, 05:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft TriStar 220
I have played with this issue a few times this year. Do you guys blow out of your nose immediately after falling and going under water? I found that when I do that it irritates, and even if I get water in my nose I do not blow it out. I have not had the issue 1 time since then. I am sure some cases are worse than others, and also the lakes. If it happens again I will try the Afrin or a Neti.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:22 PM

Boat: XT22
I've had similar, and it is pollen afaik. Doesn't affect me early in the season, but in july/ august, it is bad after a bad fall. I read here somewhere that if it is pollen, that local honey will prevent the reaction. fwiw. I haven't tried that though.