Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-20-2018, 11:32 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Maristar 200VRS
95 Maristar Incorrect Crankshaft Pump (Raw Water Pump)

I purchased a 1995 Mastercraft MariStar, LT1 engine, just over a year ago. Ive been using it all season with no problems but now it was time for winterization and maintenance. When I got to replacing the impeller, I pulled out the old impeller and realized it is much smaller in depth than the one that I purchased to replace it with.

Since I have purchased this boat there have been some curious discoveries when I have started to work on things. The previous owners had the wrong size dipstick for the engine oil and the first time I change the oil, I drained 9 quarts instead of 5. The Perfect Pass was mounted incorrectly and was not working. And a few other weird things.

Anyway, after investigation Iím assuming that they must have replaced the crankshaft pump with the incorrect model for this LT1 engine.

Here is the pump that is currently on the engine: https://marinepumpdirect.com/johnson...SABEgKY7vD_BwE

Here is the pump that should be on the engine(: https://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=68-5020

1. Am I correct in my assumptions?

2. Do I need to spend $340 for the correct pump?

3. If I donít replace the pump and leave the incorrect pump on the engine, what problems might I run into?

I can purchase the smaller size impeller for the current pump, but I donít want to if I need replace the pump all together.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2018, 12:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Look at the old impeller for a part number- if it's not visible, call SkiDim or MC and get the correct impeller. There's nothing wrong with the shallow one, you just need the correct part and whoever sold you the new one assumed it to be correct, which should never be done- ALWAYS use the old part number.

https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pump-...DE8HP1Z7RHA1G5
Old 10-21-2018, 01:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
I would make sure that the currently installed pump moves the same volume of water as the correct one. you might want to check with Indmar. They are very good at responding to customer enquiries.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
What Jorski said. You should be able to look up specs on-line. I'd guess the F6B, which is the correct pump, probably moves a bit more water, given the larger blade area. I'd guess you'd be OK unless you were running at high rpm for extended periods. Reduced water flow might lead to increased engine temps over time.

FWIW, I found the correct F6B for $200.

G
Old 10-21-2018, 05:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '96 PS190 LT1
Iím with gweaver. Get the right pump. You donít want to warp the heads on that motor.
Found it a little cheaper but not sure about shipping.

https://marinepumpdirect.com/johnson-pump-10-24930-01/

Think this one supersedes the original and flows a little more.
Probably what Iím going to get this winter to have on hand when the pump on my LT1 fails.
If you consider the cost of bearings,seals,cam and a new impeller to rebuild a worn pump a new one at this price looks pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2018, 12:32 AM
TT Newbie

That makes a lot of sense about making sure enough water is flowing into the engine...I think Iím going to get the bigger pump just to be safe! Thanks for your help guys!

Old 10-22-2018, 04:05 PM
TT Newbie

From Indmar:

We typically used a Johnson F6B-9 pump with the LT1 engine and not the F5B-9 like you have. That being said, there were some applications that used the shorter F5B-9 pump because there was insufficient space between the front of the pump and the ski pylon but I do not recall any LT1 installations that had that issue. If space in front of the pump is not an issue, I would feel more comfortable with the larger pump.

The F6B-9 Pump that we used with the LT1 engine was also special in that it had a unique mounting flange. Our current P/N for that special pump is 685020-3. Any Indmar Dealer can get you one or you can call inboard online at 877-327-7175 and thy can get you one.

Larry Engelbert
Indmar Marine Engines

Old 10-22-2018, 04:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
Good old Enginenut! He (Larry Engelbert) used be on here quite a bit in the okl days.