Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-26-2016, 09:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 MC X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Feel the amps (don't hold your hand on it for too long)- if it feels really hot, it's because amplifiers are supposed to be mounted in a way that allows the heat sink (the big piece of aluminum on the top) can shed heat. You might want to use a spacer behind each amplifier- the space behind the amp needs to be cooled, too.

The Filter switches for any speakers other than subwoofers should be in the HP (High Pass) position, which means they won't be receiving low frequencies because they can't produce them at meaningful levels and that prevents wasting amplifier power. Set the HP to about 120Hz and they should blend with the subs well enough, as a starting point.

Ok that seems to have fixed my front speaker problems lol but not so sure about my other one, it seems to only distort my tower speakers after playing for a few hours... Could changing the settings have cured this problem as well?
Old 06-26-2016, 09:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

And they are mounted on prob 3/4" to an inch spacers...
Old 06-26-2016, 10:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1golfer View Post
Ok that seems to have fixed my front speaker problems lol but not so sure about my other one, it seems to only distort my tower speakers after playing for a few hours... Could changing the settings have cured this problem as well?
Was the system cranked? Did you seem to lose output and need to turn it up after a while? Assuming there's no shorts or other problems, sending full bandwidth to speakers that can't use it causes thermal compression. A conductor's resistance increases as its temperature rises, so the added resistance causes the output to drop. This is the same reason a light bulb doesn't blow a breaker- if you measure the resistance of a cold bulb, it reads as a dead short, or very close to it.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Nope. It almost sounds like a few blown speakers but they aren't, kinda strange actually... I can turn it down a bit and it will clear up for a few minutes but then does it at that level just not quite as bad
Old 06-28-2016, 05:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1golfer View Post
Nope. It almost sounds like a few blown speakers but they aren't, kinda strange actually... I can turn it down a bit and it will clear up for a few minutes but then does it at that level just not quite as bad

How old are your batteries? This happened to me once. It was simply the batteries dropping too low in voltage and the sound output would get distorted. They would not hold a charge anymore. I replaced them and was good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
bow, bow speakers, speakers