Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2011, 05:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '13 X2 Pro Gen2, '98 30th Anniv PS190- SOLD-
Interesting discussion guys, I purchased my ' 98 30th Anniversary ProStar 190 last fall and used it twice before winter so I do not have much data but here is what I know. The boat has a LT-1 with power slot trans and stock prop on it, (14 x 20) iirc. It's advertised by MC as a 350 hp anniversary package (power slot was an option). Before I bought it I looked in the oil fill and had my brother in-law (at Indmar) run the hull, engine and ecm numbers to see what it was all about. Sure enough there are roller rocker arms under the valve covers and the ecm calibration was for the "350 hp" package according to the tuning techs at Indmar. I have no idea if this is true hp or just marketing hype so don't shoot the messenger.

My particular boat has the 4 tracking fins, stock winged rudder ( drag) but no hydro rails on the hull. (the ' 1998 listed in the speed/rpm post is also a 30th anniversary boat but has hydro rails, the updated winged rudder with more wing pitch but no power slot trans) FWIW.

On the water last fall the boat ran a gps verified 48.5 mph with myself, various ski gear, heavy sub woofer box, 1/8th tank of gas and the tower installed (wind resistance). I do not know the rpms as the tach is temperamental and I ran out of room on our small private lake.

Last weekend I got the boat out for the 1st time this year and it ran 45.5 with 4 adults, ski gear, sub box, tower installed and 30+ gallons of gas which is as much as another person I would guess (200 lbs +). Unfortunately no rpm reading as the tach was acting up. So I guess that isn't too bad for a "high drag" 1998 hull. The power slot must really make a noticable difference in the' 98's top speed and I was worried it might hurt the top speed a little.

Our elevation can't be much over sea level here in Michigan but I do not know how much for sure. I would guess the updated rudder with even more wing pitch would cause more drag than mine as it is supposed to lift the back of the boat (to improve the ski wake) which would drive the nose even further into the water. Same for the hydro rails that were designed to increase wetted surface area lifting the back of the boat. I would guess those combined could scrub off 3-4 mph on the top end, right?

Food for thought I guess, I just wanted something to haul my 250 lbs fast enough for barefooting.

SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190

Old 05-25-2011, 06:41 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierdan View Post
Just curious, How does the new engines compare to the engines of 10 plus years ago? My 94 LT1 says it is 319hp in the manual. Is this accurate or is the actual number lower?

I dont care much about HP, I just love that my boat can rip my arms off
I thought it was 310 hp in 94. That's at least what the purported hp was according to the 93 BBG.

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.

Last edited by east tx skier; 05-25-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '95 LT-1 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
Sure enough there are roller rocker arms under the valve covers and the ecm calibration was for the "350 hp" package according to the tuning techs at Indmar. I have no idea if this is true hp or just marketing hype so don't shoot the messenger.
Well then i'd have to say that there is a very good chance your LT-1 may actually be an LT-4. If so great news for you as the heads were more efficient (ports were better plus little bigger valves, better valve springs, slightly smaller combustion chamber giving a tad more compression) and there was definitely more power there (the difference in Corvette's was marketted 300hp LT-1, 330hp LT-4). It would make sense to me as the LT-4 came out in '96 and even though as I recall it was only supposed to go into the Grand Sport Corvette's, it actually wound up going in all of the 6 speed manual Corvette's and a pretty rare number of Z28's. Would not seem to unreasonable to me that some didn't make it to the boats and maybe the ones with the "special" horsepower were the LT-4's. This is all my speculation but probably not too far off. Otherwise I fall right back into my original stance of highly doubting anything was done to actually help the horsepower and it was all marketing.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:42 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperScott View Post
Well then i'd have to say that there is a very good chance your LT-1 may actually be an LT-4. If so great news for you as the heads were more efficient (ports were better plus little bigger valves, better valve springs, slightly smaller combustion chamber giving a tad more compression) and there was definitely more power there (the difference in Corvette's was marketted 300hp LT-1, 330hp LT-4). It would make sense to me as the LT-4 came out in '96 and even though as I recall it was only supposed to go into the Grand Sport Corvette's, it actually wound up going in all of the 6 speed manual Corvette's and a pretty rare number of Z28's. Would not seem to unreasonable to me that some didn't make it to the boats and maybe the ones with the "special" horsepower were the LT-4's. This is all my speculation but probably not too far off. Otherwise I fall right back into my original stance of highly doubting anything was done to actually help the horsepower and it was all marketing.
the LT4 found its way into a few SLP Z28's with the SS package and a few of the Firehawk WS.6 Pontiac's too.
It is completely possible that the Anniversary boats got a LT4.

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call Eric from OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '13 X2 Pro Gen2, '98 30th Anniv PS190- SOLD-
Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperScott View Post
It would make sense to me as the LT-4 came out in '96 and even though as I recall it was only supposed to go into the Grand Sport Corvette's, it actually wound up going in all of the 6 speed manual Corvette's and a pretty rare number of Z28's. Would not seem to unreasonable to me that some didn't make it to the boats and maybe the ones with the "special" horsepower were the LT-4's. .
Well based on that I guess the timing is just about right as the ' 97 Corvette was the first to get the LS1 engine then followed by the Camaro and Firebird in 1998. Master Craft ran the "LT-1" in boats in ' 98 and ' 99 IIRC when GM was all but done with this engine. So if there was a "left over" supply of LT-1 and fewer LT-4 engines, they might as well market a "special package" and get rid of them in boats. It probably worked out well for all (GM, MC and Indmar). Either way I'm glad to have it in the boat as it is a beast with the powerslot option.

SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190

Old 10-31-2013, 03:53 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2007, 5.7 (sold). Mastercraft X25, 2012, 5.7. Mastercraft, X30, 2013, 6.2
so nobody has really answered this from what i read,

purely how would a 2007 X2 with MCX compare to a brand new X2 with the ilmor 5.7?
Old 10-31-2013, 12:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Dealer
No, Indmar was not accurate with the HP rating, and still are not. PCM is the worst. Look at the California Air Resources board reports for the different manufacturers.

5.7L
PCM 343 = 277hp actual
Indmar 350 = 292hp actual
Ilmor 320 = 320hp actual
Old 10-31-2013, 03:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Oh boy, here we go.

Do we really think that there are huge power differences between the different marinizers, who are all using the same long blocks? Exhaust manifolds, ignition and ECM tune are going to result in 40+hp differences? C'mon.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Dealer
Intake, Exhaust, and ECM tune for 9%. Absolutely.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan-S View Post
Intake, Exhaust, and ECM tune for 9%. Absolutely.
9%, what- air-fuel ratio? Not that I ever heard at training and we discussed this power rating issue a few times. No doubt, it's richer than a car but I'm not sure it's 6% richer than stoichiometric.

Part of the problem is that some manufacturers say they measure HP at the crank and some say they measure it at the prop. Who's believable? Hard to say, without seeing their setup.