Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 10:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1980 Glastron Carlson CVX-16 Deluxe w 1981 Evinrude 140
Yes I said worthless. It's inherently "worthless" paper when there is no gold or silver to back it up. That green paper we use as currency, used to say "silver certificate" at the top, meaning that you could go into any bank and exchange the paper for real silver, aka something of real value. Notice how now it only says "Federal Reserve Note' at the top of the bill, meaning it's a piece of paper that only has value because the Fed says so. They have printed way more paper than they have any gold or silver to back it up, and when the Govt. starts to get into deeper debt they just print more notes (inflation). If we had a major depression in this country like 30's Germany, you could then use those paper "dollars" to wipe your keester, but the gold and silver you physically hold would still have value as money. That's why most folks buy precious metals, not as an investment, but as a form of real currency for the "rainy day".
Old 07-06-2018, 10:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster02 View Post
Yes I said worthless. It's inherently "worthless" paper when there is no gold or silver to back it up. That green paper we use as currency, used to say "silver certificate" at the top, meaning that you could go into any bank and exchange the paper for real silver, aka something of real value. Notice how now it only says "Federal Reserve Note' at the top of the bill, meaning it's a piece of paper that only has value because the Fed says so. They have printed way more paper than they have any gold or silver to back it up, and when the Govt. starts to get into deeper debt they just print more notes (inflation). If we had a major depression in this country like 30's Germany, you could then use those paper "dollars" to wipe your keester, but the gold and silver you physically hold would still have value as money. That's why most folks buy precious metals, not as an investment, but as a form of real currency for the "rainy day".
Wow...have dried food and powdered milk too? I think if it comes to that, it wont matter what you have! If you're worried about anarchy, buy bullets (The Road), and diamonds (you can actually carry them around!). If you're worried about Black Swans, THEN gold might be the better option, but if it doesnt happen soon, you're leaving all kinds of potential income on the table waiting for North Korea to fire a missile at us.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:28 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHPRO View Post
Wow...have dried food and powdered milk too? I think if it comes to that, it wont matter what you have! If you're worried about anarchy, buy bullets (The Road), and diamonds (you can actually carry them around!). If you're worried about Black Swans, THEN gold might be the better option, but if it doesnt happen soon, you're leaving all kinds of potential income on the table waiting for North Korea to fire a missile at us.
Don't worry about the troll we call Roadster. He pisses off nearly everyone in here because he is well just not very nice at all. He is inches from a perma ban but not quite yet.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:55 PM
MC Devotee

I only seem to piss off those who do not share my opinion. I did not call anyone out, or call anyone names, or imply any kind of slight, I merely offered a differing idea that is shared by many in the US. Is that not allowed, or do I have to conform?
Old 07-06-2018, 04:16 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
I traded some of that worthless paper for a pretty decent lunch at Mission BBQ today.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 07-06-2018, 05:37 PM
MC Devotee

You don't have any emergency food??? Really? To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHPRO View Post
Old 07-06-2018, 05:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
It's called a "hedge". Everyone with assets should have precious metals in their portfolio. I own silver and it has done nothing for years but if the market starts to go south, watch the price of metals take off. I have bought as low as $4.84/oz. and sold as high as $34 and change. Price goes up, move to cash. Price goes back down double, or more the amount of ounces but do have some in the safe. If times go real south you can buy bread with it. Another reason to buy smaller bars than 100 oz. bars
Old 07-06-2018, 10:11 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster02 View Post
You don't have any emergency food??? Really? To each his own.
You sir have some real issues. Emergency food? Nuts
Old 07-07-2018, 10:06 PM
MC Devotee

I'm not biting, sorry. You will just have to find someone else to argue with.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Define emergency food.....mines on the hoof. As long as I got a few rounds left and enough fuel to get into the back country, I'll be eating back straps while you're eating 20 year old MREs.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN