Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 02-02-2015, 08:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 S&S, 2001 19 Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
Did you use an OE 3 wire solid state sender or a 2 wire mechanical sender?
I found an OE 3-wire on Ebay. Didn't want to mess with changing the wiring back there. Not many of these left; next one will be mechanical I'm sure.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Ok, I guess mine was bad then. Good to know it will work with a standard gauge.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 S&S, 2001 19 Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
Ok, I guess mine was bad then. Good to know it will work with a standard gauge.
Follow-up. I thought I was good to go with OE 3-wire, but not so much. I was getting a signal to the gauge but only a small needle movement. Not sure why it wouldn't work since it's supposed to send the normal resistance range.

Anyway, switched to a 2-wire with a float and all is well. So for those who may be making the switch down the road...a 2-wire sender might need to be part of your plan.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X30 3,000 Ballast
Great Write-up!! Do you have any tips when reassembling the dash on, how to get to nuts back on the studs easily?
Old 05-18-2015, 01:46 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohmer410 View Post
Great Write-up!! Do you have any tips when reassembling the dash on, how to get to nuts back on the studs easily?
Not really. It's a pain. You have to be good at working by feel only.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:03 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 MC skier 351 W
Senders

Great job. I sold my Stars and Stripes with good old analog gauges. Now dealing with medallion issues. Thinking of doing the same but will have to fabricate a new panel as my Sanger is set up for 5 inch gauges. (Sorry I'm a traitor to MC). My question is regarding the sending units. Sounds like the stock units are compatible with analog gauges maybe with the exception of fuel? I am so fed up with medallion. My tach is broken, only available through a dealership, and on back order. The other gauges work intermittently and you have to knock on the MDC every so often to get them to work. Connections are good, it's the unit itself. So unnecessary IMO.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:09 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
You would have to change out all of the gauges. All of them are fed with the digital signal from the MMDC, speedometer, RPM, oil pressure, temp, etc.

Oops, misread your post. Yeah, it seems like the stock sending units are fine. The fuel may or may not be fine, I think that has more to do with whether or not the fuel sender is functional or not. If it's still functional, I think it would be fine to continue using. If not, replace it with the float one.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:00 AM
MC Devotee

The jury is still out on the fuel level sender. The oem centroid senders that MC have a terrible reputation to begin with. I'm pretty certain that a couple of years before I did the MDC-extomy I connected an ohm meter up to my centroid sender and it worked just as expected in the standard range. At some point between then and when I did the gauge swap it seems to have failed. The guy on the Supra forum didn't mention that he needed a new fuel level sender.

In either case the bolt pattern on the tanks is pretty standardized across the board and a Wema SS sender can be had for as little as $35 shipped (depending on the length you need). I'd just factor that into your budget and buy it if you need it after testing with the original sender. The Wema does need shorter screws than the centroid though so be aware of that. If you run screws in there that are too long they'll blow out the bottoms of the little pockets cast in the plastic of the tank. Then you'll be more likely to have leaks when fuel sloshes around and splashes up on there.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 x-10
Jeff D, I noticed that the tach doesn't have the hour meter on there. What are you doing about that? I know PP has an hour meter on it, but it probably doesn't match up either, i'm guessing.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:07 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Jeff D, I noticed that the tach doesn't have the hour meter on there. What are you doing about that? I know PP has an hour meter on it, but it probably doesn't match up either, i'm guessing.
Perfect pass has an hour meter and it can be synced up with actual hours. None of the tachs I've seen have provisions to roll them forward to match actual hours. Faria makes an identical tach to what I installed but with an hour meter but it's not available as part of a set. It would have cost quite a lot more to get the tach with the hour meter so I've opted just to use the one on my perfect pass.