Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 06-11-2018, 11:43 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbuffalo View Post
🤙🤙

Iíd hate to see that young fella that buys mzimme truck, punches it (for the first time, ever), ingest that ďwaterloggedĒ intercooler, and locks up the motor. (Mzimme) PM me, i can help you, especially because you drive like a old grandpa (noting wrong with that) 🤣🤣..... itís like a ticking time bomb ďifĒ you have moisture built up in there and it gets in your motor. Usually happens when your getting on the freeway and are towing.

You tube; weep hole for your truck.

You wonít notice a misfire, unless you have a scan tool.

They also did multiple changes to the intercooler....So check to make sure you have the latest update on that.

I also see people putting catch cans on 17ís and 18ís.
Sounds like its time to do some maintenance.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 basstracker, 2000 Targa 210, 2007 mastercraft CSX..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Sounds like its time to do some maintenance.

Hope your not doing the ďItalian tune upĒ. Hehehe!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Bought my 2013 new as well, have almost 82k on it now. I do need to schedule the cam phaser service as mine rattles at start up. No codes being thrown, and no other issues at all. Love the trucks power, but rarely get into it.

Once my factory warranty is up, and I have the timing chain/phasers work done, it's finally time for a tuner. I didn't want to alter from factory tune for reasons just like this, they can't blame me for anything at this point.

I have to say though, I'm looking forward to waking it up even more.

Not sure where your post went that said you rarely take it over 3k rpms.

But anywho!....No need to get a TUNE on it, if thatís the case.

Hey! if you drill that weep hole and donít want a permanent hole just put a screw back in it and empty the water/oil out of it, every now and then.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:36 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
the only think I don't like is that my truck is programmed not to exceed 100mph - I will have to check that one day
Old 06-12-2018, 04:59 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Quote:
Hope your not doing the ďItalian tune upĒ. Hehehe!!

Not sure where your post went that said you rarely take it over 3k rpms.

But anywho!....No need to get a TUNE on it, if thatís the case.

Hey! if you drill that weep hole and donít want a permanent hole just put a screw back in it and empty the water/oil out of it, every now and then.
I'd play with it if it was more fun

Still like to drive fast, but more interested in the tune for towing/mpg.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
i didnt read the whole thread but thought i would give my two cents about the 3.5 liter eco boost. we owned two of these. one 2011 and one 2013. both trucks were used as sales/work trucks and we bought them brand new. they would tow often and would mostly be highway miles. to my knowledge i believe ford fixed some issues with the second generation eco boost 2016+.

the 2011 went through two sets of turbos, and ended its life with valve issues and a stretched timing chain/cam phaser issues. roughly 7-8k to fix and get running again. it had 183,000 miles on it. first set of turbos was at 80,000 miles. sold the truck on craigslist because it didn't make sense for the business to get it fixed.

the 2013 didnt last as long. at 120,000 miles it threw a code for a stretched timing chain and cam phaser issue. it would rattle bad on start ups in the cold weather. dealer cleared the code and said it was okay to drive. we parked it and traded it off on a different truck knowing the issues we had with our 2011. oh, this truck had turbo issues as well...

all in all, the reliability of the 3.5 eco boost was poor. plenty of power but just didnt last. fuel economy was about the same as a v8, maybe 1 or 2 mpg better on some occasions. our trucks are well maintained. always changing oil before it is due, preventative maintenance instead of just fixing things when they break. needless to say... we only run v8s now and dont have fords anymore...

Maybe we were just unlucky to have two ecoboosts go to crap, but it's an engine we stay away from now.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:47 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Good info...and pics of oil staining..for now...I would not want the 3.5, hard to remove plugs, plugs not lasting, hydro lock, valve issues, timing chain issues, cam phaser, rattle on start up. Was in the market, Thanks for the heads up on the 3.5
Old 08-29-2018, 10:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2, Pontoon, Nitro 882
Good to know. i was in the market for a new SUV and wanted to go Expedition. I was also worried about the EB. I ended up with the 5.3L Chevy tahoe. It seems to be a more proven motor. I don't wrench on my stuff, and usually always use the dealer. I also put a lot of miles on each year back and forth to my cabin. I do NOT want to break down in the middle of a wisc winter miles away from civilization. I need reliability.

I guess i am happy with my decision at this point.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 basstracker, 2000 Targa 210, 2007 mastercraft CSX..
F-150 Ecoboost Direct Injection

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatronation View Post
i didnt read the whole thread but thought i would give my two cents about the 3.5 liter eco boost. we owned two of these. one 2011 and one 2013. both trucks were used as sales/work trucks and we bought them brand new. they would tow often and would mostly be highway miles. to my knowledge i believe ford fixed some issues with the second generation eco boost 2016+.

the 2011 went through two sets of turbos, and ended its life with valve issues and a stretched timing chain/cam phaser issues. roughly 7-8k to fix and get running again. it had 183,000 miles on it. first set of turbos was at 80,000 miles. sold the truck on craigslist because it didn't make sense for the business to get it fixed.

the 2013 didnt last as long. at 120,000 miles it threw a code for a stretched timing chain and cam phaser issue. it would rattle bad on start ups in the cold weather. dealer cleared the code and said it was okay to drive. we parked it and traded it off on a different truck knowing the issues we had with our 2011. oh, this truck had turbo issues as well...

all in all, the reliability of the 3.5 eco boost was poor. plenty of power but just didnt last. fuel economy was about the same as a v8, maybe 1 or 2 mpg better on some occasions. our trucks are well maintained. always changing oil before it is due, preventative maintenance instead of just fixing things when they break. needless to say... we only run v8s now and dont have fords anymore...

Maybe we were just unlucky to have two ecoboosts go to crap, but it's an engine we stay away from now.

You literally bought the worst two years of the ecoboost.

Also Turbos donít last forever and you should have known that when buying it. You clearly have had an unlucky experience, with the boosts.

What oil were you using? and how often was your oils changes?.

Timing chains are a common problem in a lot of vehicles. They all stretch over time and cause valve issues.

Their are ecoboost with 300k and still going with out any problems, so I think you had a couple of lemons. IMO.

I had the timing chain problem at 80k, fixed it under warranty and the biggest problem I have had so far (currently 115k) was the transmission. Had to fix it twice, one time out of warranty.

So, I have no gripe other than the transmission.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 X30 6.0L
I went with the 2.7 EB in my 2017. Tow's my X30 with ease. Only 25k miles in, but so far, so good.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
Quote:
You literally bought the worst two years of the ecoboost.

Also Turbos donít last forever and you should have known that when buying it. You clearly have had an unlucky experience, with the boosts.

What oil were you using? and how often was your oils changes?.

Timing chains are a common problem in a lot of vehicles. They all stretch over time and cause valve issues.

Their are ecoboost with 300k and still going with out any problems, so I think you had a couple of lemons. IMO.

I had the timing chain problem at 80k, fixed it under warranty and the biggest problem I have had so far (currently 115k) was the transmission. Had to fix it twice, one time out of warranty.

So, I have no gripe other than the transmission.

How are we supposed to know they were the worst years when you buy a brand new vehicle? Wasnít proven yet. And wasnít as good as everyone made them out to be. Haha oh well.

Turbos should last more than 80k miles! Thatís bad.

We went to the ford dealership for oil changes and used the recommended ford service oils. (I donít know off the top of my head as this happened 2-3 years ago.) oil was always changed when the computer said 25% oil life remaining.

After doing a ton of reading and talking to other farmers who owned the eco boost Iíd disagree and say those with a high mileage eco boost are on borrowed time and they are the lucky ones.

The problem with the timing chain (from what I was told so take it with a grain of salt) is ford took the generic 3.5l v6 timing chain and strapped turbos on it. It wasnít meant to handle the power and load and was a clear weak point in the system.

We have roughly 8 pickup trucks in our fleet currently and the only ones to have major issues were ecoboosts. 180k + isnít bad but when you have other trucks in the fleet with 250-350k miles you buy different motors. Been there, tried them and would never buy one again.

Iím not here to bash on a brand and argue about things.. just giving my real world experience to help others make THEIR choice.
We currently own ford, Chevy, and dodge. so I have no bias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk