Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-23-2018, 05:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartnich View Post
So here is what I found. Compression test

Nothing major there, right? I took out the thermostat and it was clearly the original one as the bolts were still painted on and the stat itself was pretty rusty. Not sure how these are supposed to work as I put it in hot water and nothing seemed to move....

Can someone please explain to me how to check if the water temp sensor is working? I pulled it, put it in very hot water, turned the key and got nothing at the gauge. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Also, what are those two sensors at the front of the engine? The one right behind the thermostat and the bigger one back and to the left of it (looking to the back of the boat).

Thanks
Bart
One low reading but it is within 10%. I'd take those numbers all day long.

Throw out the lowest and the highest and it looks even better.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Prostar 205 5.7L
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
One low reading but it is within 10%. I'd take those numbers all day long.

Throw out the lowest and the highest and it looks even better.

Yea, it wasn't fully warmed up either due to the thermostat issue as well as the fact that I couldn't find a bucket big enough to keep water flowing. It sucked a 5 gallon bucket dry in about 40 seconds at idle even with a hose running into it...
Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
How does it sound when its maxing out at 3900 rpm.. is it straining? Could be fuel starvation... little screen on fuel pump inlet could be clogged... fuel filter could be clogged. If original fuel lines.. could be constricting and lastly.. fuel pickup maybe letting air into system.

Those compression numbers are good enough.

What do spark plugs look like?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2018, 10:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
How does it sound when its maxing out at 3900 rpm.. is it straining? Could be fuel starvation... little screen on fuel pump inlet could be clogged... fuel filter could be clogged. If original fuel lines.. could be constricting and lastly.. fuel pickup maybe letting air into system.

Those compression numbers are good enough.

What do spark plugs look like?

Hi Mike,

It doesn't seem to strain or stutter or hesitate on the top end at all. It just gets to 3900 and doesn't get any higher. Although it may take a bit to get there once in the upper range of the RPM. Maybe it is fuel starvation. What would the symptoms of that be? Where exactly is the fuel pump inlet?

It appears that the plugs are running cold because of the thermostat issue. Also hard to tell because the boat was run at idle for a short period of time and never got up to full operating temp due to the thermostat prior to be pulling plugs.

Thanks for the feedback!!
Old 10-24-2018, 10:46 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Yea, it wasn't fully warmed up either due to the thermostat issue as well as the fact that I couldn't find a bucket big enough to keep water flowing. It sucked a 5 gallon bucket dry in about 40 seconds at idle even with a hose running into it...
Check the fuel pressure.

Which temperature sensor did you check? The one that matters has two wires, not only one. Remove the fuel line from the pump and check the inlet screen- it may be clogged.

If the RPM climbs smoothly from idle to about 3000-3400 RPM and stumbles as it tries to increase, it's most likely a fuel system issue.

Don't think you can really solve this on the trailer- you can't. Running without load IS NOT the way to deal with these problems.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:47 AM

Follow fuel line from inline filter back to fuel tank.. pump has 2 fittings at bottom. You will need to remove pump. I replaced fuel supply, return and fuel pick up in tank. One day my rpms maxed out at 2500, but I got noticeable sound due to throttle being open.

The plugs always tell a good story of how things a burning. So please post a pic of them.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Check the fuel pressure.

Which temperature sensor did you check? The one that matters has two wires, not only one. Remove the fuel line from the pump and check the inlet screen- it may be clogged.

If the RPM climbs smoothly from idle to about 3000-3400 RPM and stumbles as it tries to increase, it's most likely a fuel system issue.

Don't think you can really solve this on the trailer- you can't. Running without load IS NOT the way to deal with these problems.
Hi Jim,

Yes, I checked the temp sensor with two wires. I think it was not registering much change at the gauge due to the fact that the thermostat was likely toast and the water temps at the lakes were in the 50's.

I will check the inlet screen and am in the process of getting a new thermostat. So 143 or 160 for this engine? I've seen both suggested for this engine.

My ability to get out is going to change drastically come Tuesday when the weather turns, so I'm trying to check off as many boxes as possible before then to have less to mess with in the spring.

Thanks again!!
Old 10-24-2018, 12:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Follow fuel line from inline filter back to fuel tank.. pump has 2 fittings at bottom. You will need to remove pump. I replaced fuel supply, return and fuel pick up in tank. One day my rpms maxed out at 2500, but I got noticeable sound due to throttle being open.

The plugs always tell a good story of how things a burning. So please post a pic of them.

Thanks Mike, I will check the inlet. I will also try to post come pics of the plugs later today if I can get around to pulling them again.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks Mike, I will check the inlet. I will also try to post come pics of the plugs later today if I can get around to pulling them again.
Here are pics of the plugs. Keep in mind that the engine was fogged a couple weeks ago and I only ran it in the water once since then for 30 minutes and then ran it at idle for a bit for the compression test.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2018, 02:38 PM

Last one looks a bit ashy - wonder if they all looked that way before fogging - full tune up next year I recommend.