Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2018, 04:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
factory ballast layout help - X9

im trying to get a handle on how the ballast setup is laid out in my X9, the location of the bag fittings generally seems to be sub-optimal... particularly on the rear bag with 90deg fittings where they dont appear to be needed, and the front bag not being removable, which im planning on changing to help air things out and for winterization.

ive got my eyes on some slightly bigger bags that should fill both of the factory locations a bit better, before modifying anything or replacing bags i wanted to fully understand how it was set up to start out with so i know how to set up the fittings on the new bags.

heres what ive confirmed:

the system only has two of these jabsco pumps, mounted behind the fuel tank, along with the manifold, which has 2 drain ports with one-way valves going to thru-hull fittings above the waterline. so far so good, both pumps work fine, and fill/drain fast enough.

i can see the main manifold thru-hull and the winterization port underneath

given all that, and after blowing on the rear bag lines, that i could actually disconnect
i thought id draw up a quick diagram of what ive confirmed --

my confusion starts with the second fitting from the rear bag port-side goes - blowing in that line its not another thru-hull or vent line - maybe its an overflow to help fill the front bag? is that even a thing?

i know - that was a wall of text! but wanted to get all my thoughts down in one spot.

tl;dr- can someone walk me through the function of each of the bag fittings?

thanks guys!

edit --- in case anyone bumps into this in the search archives... updated the diagram to show the confirmed layout, with 2 vents per bag

Last edited by ValveCoverGasket; 05-25-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
factory ballast layout help - X9

Each bag/tank should have a vent/overfill line to a thru-hull. Is there a line from the front bag to the rear acting as the overflow/vent for the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2018, 12:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

based on how the rear bag is set up, one of the front bag fittings must go to a thru hull, though the front bag fittings are all permanently clamped and dont have quick releases so i didnt pull any of those apart.

the boat has 2 thru-hulls near the rear on the port side, 2 near the rear starboard, and 3 ahead of the windshield on the starboard side (i think one of these is the bilge)

here are pictures of the non-fill/drain fittings on each bag

Old 05-07-2018, 02:52 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasteCraft ProStar 190 (Ford 351)
I believe MasterCraft was double venting the ballast bags at this time. I know for sure on the X-Star / X-2 / X-1 (ProStar 205V hull) we see a thru-hull fitting on each side for the center ballast bags. Would probably trickle down to the X-5 and and X-9. That diagram looks spot on.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

ah ok, that would make sense
i think that accounts for the multiple thru-hull ports on the front
i guess whenever i break the fittings off of the front bag i can double check with some air through there, and since the lines are run already ill just plan on leaving them in place - my original plan was to just run a single vent line but since the thru-hulls are already there....

got your PM also, sent you an email!
Old 05-09-2018, 09:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

just pulled the bags tonight - just to come bag to this in case anyone comes across it in the search, i can confirm that each bag has two vent lines, and that accounts for all the thru-hulls
Old 07-10-2018, 08:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

coming back to this with a few pictures - wakemakers makes an awesome plug and play setup to replace the factory bags, everything fits better than factory!
rear bag is now 970 lb, and front is 415lb

i extended one rear vent line and replaced the other with a little longer section.
the factory vent lines on the rear bag were barely long enough to reach the bag when empty haha
plus the front bag is now removable!

also got rid of the funky angle on the factory fill port...

all filled up...

we still need some more practice dialing in the passenger load and getting the speed right (plus surfing! haha) but at ~11mph with a nauticurl shaper heres the wave. definitely surfable and not too shabby for an old ski hull haha

Old 07-11-2018, 12:53 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 x9
This is exactly what I'm looking for for my '02 x9. Can you share any more details like a part number of link for that rear seat sac at wakemakers? Not seeing it on their site. tia.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

If you give them a call they should be able to look it up
Don't forget to grab a wakeshaper also!
Old 09-29-2018, 03:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X9 w/MCX
I am having some issues with my center factory bag in my x9. I think this info is going g to be very helpful. Thank you!