Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-17-2016, 07:06 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 94 Mastercraft Maristar 225 EFI
Question '94 Mastercraft Maristar LT1 motor.. Kicking over but not engaging

Hello.. I'm new to this forum and have had my boat since last year and have not had any problems with it. It only has 400 hours and has plenty of life in it. I have 2 questions re the starting issues I am currently experiencing. I know it is electrical issue as I tried switching battery switch while the motor was running. Apparently this is not a good idea as my motor stopped and I ran into a few electrical issues.. I replaced several fuses but now motor will not engage. I had an indmar mechanic hook up his diagnostic computer and he got 2 codes that said the crankshaft position sensors are bad and the coil pack. So off I go trying to resolve this.. Here are my 2 questions..

1. Would the bad crankshaft position sensors send a signal to the ECM to prevent the coil packs from firing? Reason why I ask is I've tested all 4 coil pack wires (8 in total; 2 per coil pack) and none of them are firing. Either I have 4 bad coil packs or the bad crankshaft position sensors are preventing coil packs from firing.

2. Based on answer to number 1, it seems I will need coil packs and Indmar quotes $180 each and I need 4 possibly (total of nearly $800 - yikes!). In speaking to Indmar they said this is a GM part so my question is can I use an automotive coil pack vs marine coil pack to replace these coil packs if required?

Appreciate any advice anyone can give.. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:28 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
#1 - yes - but they only fail from over heat usually... crank sensors send signal to ignition module which talks to ECU. 1994?

#2 - Yes - the crank shaft sensors can be found on ali express. and automotive coil packs work

#3 - what codes #s were saved - iirc mefi 1 and mefi 2 did not store crank sensor or coil pack codes.

#4 - have the ignition module tested - it's from a cadillac northstar -
Old 06-18-2016, 07:26 PM

if its code 41 cjeck open circuit along green white wire.. but a code 41 will aloow motor to start.

code 42 same check for open circuit on green-white wire - but motor should start.

I can't find any trouble codes that call out for bad Crank sensor or cold pack...
Old 06-19-2016, 05:29 PM
TT Newbie

Thank you for the information.. Do you have a cross reference autmotive part # for the ignition coils? The indmar ignition coil part # is 104 2401. I seached Ali express and didn't have any parts using indmar part #

I had a mechanic hook up diagnostic to my mefi2 ecm and he got 2 codes with issues. 1 was for bad crankshaft positin sensor. Have 2 sensors on this LT1 motor and replacing both. Other code was for bad ingition coils. He told me to start with replacing the sensors for now. Unfortunately don't remember the codes that were returned on the diagnostic

Do you know if we have to reset the ecm after we replace the crankshaft position sensors? Seem to be many answers on this one online. Some say yes, others say no.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrott View Post
Thank you for the information.. Do you have a cross reference autmotive part # for the ignition coils? The indmar ignition coil part # is 104 2401. I seached Ali express and didn't have any parts using indmar part #

I had a mechanic hook up diagnostic to my mefi2 ecm and he got 2 codes with issues. 1 was for bad crankshaft positin sensor. Have 2 sensors on this LT1 motor and replacing both. Other code was for bad ingition coils. He told me to start with replacing the sensors for now. Unfortunately don't remember the codes that were returned on the diagnostic

Do you know if we have to reset the ecm after we replace the crankshaft position sensors? Seem to be many answers on this one online. Some say yes, others say no.
no codes indicating that in any manuals I have.. MEFI 2 - too early I believe to signal those failures...

ali express -

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...112-3847010-04

LADA Crankshaft Sensor 2112-3847010-04 is what to look for.

I believe these are the coils.. cadillac northstar distributor less coils...
Old 06-20-2016, 01:11 PM
TT Newbie

Hi Dave,

Can you clarify what you mean by "MEFI 2 - too early I believe to signal those failures..."

He got to 2 codes and unfortunately I don't remember what they were. But he got 2 codes returned - 1 for bad crankshaft position sensor and 1 for bad ignition coils.

Have new sensors in. Turning over but still not engaging. No spark on ignition coils. So going replace 1 coil (#1) as it is my understanding if this one fires the boat should engage. If the other coils are bad then it will still run but run rough. Is this right?

Last edited by jetrott; 06-20-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:34 PM
TT Newbie

Additionally, I don't need the part number for the crankshaft sensors.. I already have these and I've already installed them. Looking for the part automotive part # for the ignition coils. Marine indmar part number is 104 2401 (as mentioned in prior thread). I called napa and they mentioned that GM/delphi part # is IC39. Do you know if this is correct?
Old 07-23-2016, 02:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 ProStar 190
Hydrotropism where did you get crank sensors ? That link said not available & only 1 month old
Old 07-24-2016, 08:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 ProStar 190
Found them thanks to others
Old 07-24-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrott View Post
Additionally, I don't need the part number for the crankshaft sensors.. I already have these and I've already installed them. Looking for the part automotive part # for the ignition coils. Marine indmar part number is 104 2401 (as mentioned in prior thread). I called napa and they mentioned that GM/delphi part # is IC39. Do you know if this is correct?
they look correct.. cross with with a northstar ignition.

Tags
coil pack, lt1, sensors, start issues