Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2014, 12:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
MasterCraft moments

Anyone had a MasterCraft moment? This is where, despite many years of boating experience, your rudder and inboard engine combine to make you look and feel like a novice boater. You get bonus points if your MC moment is in front of a crowd. Let me illustrate, because I had one a few days ago.

Our cottage is on a lake that is part of a canal. For fun, we can go through a small lock to the next series of lakes.

I was coming back through the lock. We were the only boat in it. Once the water level had gone down, the lock doors started to open. We fired up, pushed off the bow, and idled towards the opening doors. As we got up to the doors, a maintenance worker on the other side of the doors started poling himself into the lock on a floating dock. He completely blocked our way, and was getting closer.

I went into reverse to avoid the collision. We were already at an angle, having just pushed off from the side, and of course going into reverse made it worse as it pulled to the right side. We didn't hit anything, but ended up completed sideways in the lock. The boat is 23'8" with platform, and I bet the lock is 30' wide. In my mind, I pictured the movie Austin Powers where he tried to do the u-turn in a golf cart in a too-narrow hallway. It took me a lot of pushing off by hand to get the boat pointed in the right direction before we could get going again.

The maintenance guy was apologetic... it was his fault, and no one told him that there was someone coming out etc. But deep down, I know everyone is looking at me and thinking "why do the idiots get the nice boats?" I briefly wondered if I should explain the complexities of going in reverse on an inboard... But then I just thought I should just accept my fate and leave. Ugh.

That's my first MasterCraft moment.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:18 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
The last time I took out the x15 before selling, I whacked the prop on the trailer bunk. Fail.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released eventually

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- For Sale
Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Can I play?

Last year when i bought my boat, my swivel racks were broken, so I never had racks on my boat with any gear in them. Over the winter, I bought new swivel racks and got everything installed for my first boat trip of the year over Memorial Weekend. Loaded all my boards/ski in the racks and launched the boat to go put her in the slip for the weekend. I was all alone and my driver went and parked the truck. As I'm pulling into the covered slip, my ski and surfboard catch on one of the roof support poles on the dock and start pulling out of my racks and tugging on the bungees. Finally realized it, so had to back out a bit. Well, the way the doc was set up, was basically a big "common area" deck where people could congregate, and my slip was one of the very first when you started walking out the long line of the boats. If I pulled straight out backwards of my slip, because of the way our boats go backwards, it pulls me towards the ramp that goes from the marina, to that "common area" of docks. Normally no problem, but they had tied up their rental pontoon just outside of my slip, so there's hardly any room. While I'm panicking not to rip my boards out of the rack, as I start going backwards I don't notice the pontoon boat, look back, then realize I'm heading straight into one of the front points of the toons. I think "Crap" to myself, throw it in neutral, and jump out of my seat to save my boat from getting shredded by that toon.

Finally, I get my racks swiveled in so I can fit in the slip, and pull into the slip/tie up. The entire time, there's a bunch of people standing on that common area dock, mind you... not helping, and even more sitting at the marina watching me. I must have looked like a supernoob.

Took a little while getting used to having boards hanging outside my boat this season haha. Thank god for swivels though.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008, PS 197, LY6
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
I see this same thing happening all the time. Well not all the time but 4 times in two years. 3 this year alone. Racks outside the boat catching on a dock pole or an obstruction. Ouch!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Can I play?

Last year when i bought my boat, my swivel racks were broken, so I never had racks on my boat with any gear in them. Over the winter, I bought new swivel racks and got everything installed for my first boat trip of the year over Memorial Weekend. Loaded all my boards/ski in the racks and launched the boat to go put her in the slip for the weekend. I was all alone and my driver went and parked the truck. As I'm pulling into the covered slip, my ski and surfboard catch on one of the roof support poles on the dock and start pulling out of my racks and tugging on the bungees. Finally realized it, so had to back out a bit. Well, the way the doc was set up, was basically a big "common area" deck where people could congregate, and my slip was one of the very first when you started walking out the long line of the boats. If I pulled straight out backwards of my slip, because of the way our boats go backwards, it pulls me towards the ramp that goes from the marina, to that "common area" of docks. Normally no problem, but they had tied up their rental pontoon just outside of my slip, so there's hardly any room. While I'm panicking not to rip my boards out of the rack, as I start going backwards I don't notice the pontoon boat, look back, then realize I'm heading straight into one of the front points of the toons. I think "Crap" to myself, throw it in neutral, and jump out of my seat to save my boat from getting shredded by that toon.

Finally, I get my racks swiveled in so I can fit in the slip, and pull into the slip/tie up. The entire time, there's a bunch of people standing on that common area dock, mind you... not helping, and even more sitting at the marina watching me. I must have looked like a supernoob.

Took a little while getting used to having boards hanging outside my boat this season haha. Thank god for swivels though.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:44 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Yeah, I just wasnt used to having them on there since I went the entire last season without. Took a couple screw ups, then figured out to make sure they were swung in pulling into a slip haha.

No damage, thankfully.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X55
I'll play.

New x45 putting it on the trailer the very first time. My wife put the trailer in a little too deep on a steep ramp. One of the trailer guide pads floated off. As I put the boat on the trailer I put a 5 foot scratch down the side of the boat as the metal post went down the starboard side. Wow!! We both felt pretty sick on the drive home. Took it to the dealer and a few days later it was fixed. They did a great job. I'll never forget that MasterCraft moment.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:10 PM

Earlier this season, we arrived at the dock and I attched the dock tie to the pylon. I did not attach the rear dock tie to the rear tow eye. Someone after I got up to go hang out on shore did attach the rear tie and I was unaware of it. When our rotation came up again, I untied the dock tie attached to the center pylon, and put it in gear... The rope tied to the back toe eye stretched, snapped and broke, making me look like a total noob when I was unaware it was tied off.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:39 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 x25 6.2
First day as a Mastercraft owner, all smiles after a couple hours out. A pal and I idle up to the lift, jump on the dock and pull the boat on slowly for the first time. Snap goes the anchor light neither of us saw it from the angle we were at, the wife was not impressed. 6 months later we had a drowning scare from a late night kayaking friend, everybody is focused on the not dead friend forgot to put the tower down again SNAP. I felt like a tool when I had to get the 2nd one!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Maristar 200VRS
Within the first week of owning my boat a passengers finger was amputated by the wakeboard rope, some how he was tending the line and it got wrapped around his fingers. Well it was just the tip of his pinky, they were unable to reattach it but it was a clean cut. The worst part was I had never met the guy before in my life he was friends with someone else who came to wakeboard.

So it's how I came up with the name for my boat. "Just the tip"

Old 08-21-2014, 05:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Everytime I slip on my shiny, yet slick, well oiled platform .... or the day that I rubbed the fenders along the garage opening, but luckily it all rubbed out.

or the time .......... I will leave it blank for the future.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."