Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 09-06-2018, 12:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 Prostar 197 TT
Suggestions for trainer ski for child

Looking at these two different models on overtonís any suggestions on the bamboo board vs the inflatable ?

Thanks !
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-06-2018, 08:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
I have the wood HO version. We pull it right along shore in a couple of inches of water, or even completely in the sand when they are scared to go in the water. I wouldn't do that with an inflatable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2018, 09:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
We own the top one and it's pretty easy to get the grandkids up on it. I'd probably only consider something non inflatable, mainly due to durability
Old 09-06-2018, 09:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 MasterCraft X23
I have the inflatable and it's way to easy for even the youngest kiddo's. My three year old and five year old were bored quickly. I'd go the other route if I could do over.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:26 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 Prostar 197 TT
Ok thank you for all the suggestions. I was leaning towards the wood version, we can also test it out in the snow() this winter
Old 09-06-2018, 11:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 NXT20
I had the inflatable one. I wouldn't say it does much for teaching them to ski, it just gets them out on the water. My daughter used to dance around on it while she was out there.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 maristar 210
I went this route. I looked and couldn't find any picture of my kids using it in this setup, but my 5 and 4 year old learned very quickly and progressed to skiing without the rope hooded to the skis very quickly. We also started out pulling by hand along shore to "teach" them. you only have to go about 4-6mph with a kid around 40lbs.

I don't leave the rear rope on because it seems to give more stability if they "snowplow".

The benefit of going this route is you have a set of kids skis when they get better.

I also added weights to the rear of the skis so smaller kids could use them without being pushed around by the skis trying to float.

Last edited by toddvdh; 09-06-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 LT-1
We have the top wooden one. We have used it to start out many of our nieces and nephews. It's great at getting them comfortable on the water but I also think it teaches them some bad habits that you have to get out of their minds when moving to actual skis. They can simply lock their knees and lean back and get up with it. That doesn't translate well when you move them to actual skis and we had issues with them not understanding that. They then get frustrated and want to move back to the sled which then just compounds the problem. I am all for anything that gets kids out on the water but I thought I would share our experience with it.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 maristar 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddvdh View Post
I went this route. I looked and couldn't find any picture of my kids using it in this setup, but my 5 and 4 year old learned very quickly and progressed to skiing without the rope hooded to the skis very quickly. We also started out pulling by hand along shore to "teach" them. you only have to go about 4-6mph with a kid around 40lbs.

I don't leave the rear rope on because it seems to give more stability if they "snowplow".

The benefit of going this route is you have a set of kids skis when they get better.

I also added weights to the rear of the skis so smaller kids could use them without being pushed around by the skis trying to float.

https://youtu.be/8R4HiHlfgp4

This isn't my video, but this is how i started my kids off and thought it might help you. After they get the shore stuff, then you start dragging them behind a boat.