Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-10-2009, 11:18 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
What about storage? Covers, cold/hot weather?
It's all there. Store it in a cart, or in their "nest". Cover might be nice in that it could help prevent the cover freezing shut, if that happens. I don't cover mine.

We have hot and cold weather here. What's your question?

Last edited by bigmac; 12-10-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Huh?

Egg's are mostly high tech ceramic, which isn't affected by weather. The few metal parts are all cast (better than mild steel for this type of application) and are still fine on my buddies' 15 yr old unit.
AFAIK they all come with a soft cover.

Most I've seen are left in the weather with or without covers for years. Doesn't seem to affect them much.

Go ahead and get one, you won't regret it.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:05 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Tex, if you are looking to save a few bucks, the Grilldome is a copy of the BGE and you can get it cheaper and in different colors if you want. I've run one for a year and haven't found anything it won't do. No cover for mine. Built a cart like Brians for mine. Havent replaced a gasket yet, Im sure I will need to someday...

Get the spring assist lid and the top air flow control (its an option rather than standard on the GrillDome) jrandol used to have the hookup on Grilldomes. He may have some pointers
Old 12-10-2009, 12:07 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
It's all there. Store it in a cart, or in their "nest". Cover might be nice in that it could help prevent the cover freezing shut, if that happens. I don't cover mine.

We have hot and cold weather here. What's your question?
That was mainly it...I have a buddy who built a table for his and will give me his old table and stand. Is there any way to cut a deal on a new one or is their prices locked by BGE?

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 12-10-2009, 12:41 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Tex--

I have a cover for both my small (in nest) and large (in cart). I don't worry about the weather as much as the sun. I got both covers at the Home Depot. One is for a big grill (on the cart) and the other for a Webber. They both serve their purpose. I've cooked in rain, hot & humid and snow. No issues.

I can't comment on the GD. But, I've been really pleased with the BGE folks as well as the product.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:20 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
That was mainly it...I have a buddy who built a table for his and will give me his old table and stand. Is there any way to cut a deal on a new one or is their prices locked by BGE?
I don't think they're locked at all - I see variations in price from place to place. Any deal you cut would be local. I got a good deal on mine -- saved about $100 on the egg and good percentages on various accessories -- by going through a distributor via a "friend of mine who knows a guy...".

Now...IIRC there are internet sources for the BGE, but the company won't honor the warranty if you buy it via the internet
Old 12-10-2009, 02:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Around here, seems like every Ace Hardware sells a lot of them, with specials around christmas.

The Ace up in the mountains by our lake house had them for over $100 less than the Ace's down in Atlanta, so I don't think the prices are locked at all.

Also seen "like new" used ones on Craigslist for 1/2 to 60% the price.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:32 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
Mike The BGE or the GD are both good.

Look for a used one perhaps on craigslist in your are if you don want to spend the $$$

Check out this place for lots of great information. I lurk there when I am lookig for a good recipe. Also try the nakedwhiz.com

http://www.bbq-brethren.com
Old 12-12-2009, 02:50 PM
MC Platinum

I just pulled the trigger on a new large one...will update with pics when I get it put together and have time to use it....as always...you guys are great and thanks for all the advice!!!

Tex

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 AM
MC Platinum

My table deal fell through and all I have is the nest and side tables. I want to build a table...anybody done it and got pics or plans?