Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 AM
TT Regular

Boat: N/A
PS 205 Gas Gauge

Hi all,

Bought a 1996 PS 205 a month+ ago and the seller let me know he was having issues with the gas gauge last summer. I had the boat inspected at Action Water Sports in Fenton, as well as an oil change, new impeller etc., before I picked it up.

They told me the fuel sender was messed up and they replaced it and change the fuel filter.

The gas gauge is still not working 100%. With the boat completely full (fuel coming out the overflow accidentally) the gauge only reads 3/4 tank.

Is there any kind of adjustment somewhere to make the gauge read accurately or is something else broken in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for any input
Nidus72
Old 06-03-2010, 11:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 209
The float may not be coming all the way up when the tank is full. What did they charge to replace the sender as mine is broken also?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:07 AM
TT Regular

I'll have to find the bill to figure it out. I think it was about $50? The total bill was $500 but that included the overall inspection, oil change, impeller change, fuel line filter and sender change, new bilge pump etc.

As for the float, can I get in there to see what's going on, my removing a plate or something?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:11 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidus72 View Post
Hi all,

Bought a 1996 PS 205 a month+ ago and the seller let me know he was having issues with the gas gauge last summer. I had the boat inspected at Action Water Sports in Fenton, as well as an oil change, new impeller etc., before I picked it up.

They told me the fuel sender was messed up and they replaced it and change the fuel filter.

The gas gauge is still not working 100%. With the boat completely full (fuel coming out the overflow accidentally) the gauge only reads 3/4 tank.

Is there any kind of adjustment somewhere to make the gauge read accurately or is something else broken in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for any input

Nidus72
Did they replace the entire sender or just the float? I had the same issue a couple years ago and replaced the whole unit and haven't had a prob since. http://www.isspro.com/proddetail.php?prod=RA9506-ISS
Old 06-03-2010, 11:15 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidus72 View Post
I'll have to find the bill to figure it out. I think it was about $50? The total bill was $500 but that included the overall inspection, oil change, impeller change, fuel line filter and sender change, new bilge pump etc.

As for the float, can I get in there to see what's going on, my removing a plate or something?
Pull the unit out, leave plugged in and turn on the key and then turn the sender upside down to see what it reads on the guage, should read full, if not, the float's not going all the way to the top when full.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:19 AM
TT Regular

My understanding was they replaced the whole sender, not just the float. I'll try your suggestion of taking it out and turning it upside down to see what the gauge reads.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 03:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205/2005 Maristar 210 VRS - MCX
Depending on the brand of sending unit, it might just need to be adjusted correctly for empty and full. Mine has two adjustment screw(pot).

2005 MariStar 210VRS - MCX - ACME #845
1994 Prostar 205 TBI 350 (SOLD)

War Eagle