Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Actively looking..
Advice on new (used) boat purchase please

Hello, I've found very good information on this site in my search for a used DD ski boat.

I was hoping to get some advice regarding a choice between 2 boats I've found and am having trouble deciding which to buy.

First I should mention that I am only a recreational skier, and am looking for a boat that my whole family can enjoy. I have used much of the information contained in this forum to guide me through the process, it has really help uncover hidden issues in several boats.

After months of searching I've found a 1989 Tristar 190 and a 1994 Ski Centurion Falcon XP. Both have the same hours and are in similar (good) shape. I am leaning towards the Tristar because of the open bow, and the owner has been very consistent in his record keeping and maintenance. The centurion interests me as it is 5 years newer and also very good condition. My impression is that the MC rides a little better.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, I'm ready to be done with my search but can't seem to make up my mind.

Thanks, Matt
Old 05-17-2010, 07:57 PM

Boat: XT22
I don't know about the centurion but I had an '89 tristar about 4 years ago. I liked it very much. But the interior doesn't have much room. For family boating the open bow is a must have IMO. I went from a prostar to the tristar just for the open bow.

Any details on pricing, etc between the 2?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1981 Ski Nautique S&S
Well speaking for myself, I think an open bow boat would fit you better and give the family plenty of room. I don't have that option but wish I did. Just my 2cents.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 PM
TT Newbie

The open bow is important to me, although the centurion has a little more room in the setting area, probably due to the integrated swim step in the Tri. The Tristar is about 7k and the Centurion is 6k. Both have 500 hrs, the Centurion has a 350, and of coarse the MC has the 351.

It seems to me that the MC may handle the chop a little better than the Centurion due to the more defined v hull.

Thanks for the opinions so far, this is new territory for me. I just sold my Aluminum River jet that was a completely different animal.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Stars&Stripes, 351w, grey and blue
I'm partial, but I say go with the Tristar. I like the Centurions, but for ski ability and ride I'd sacrifice a little room and go with MC. Also, judging from what you said about maintenance the MC may have been better cared for (they usually are, once you get one you're hooked). Considering it's an older model and has the same amount of hours means there's less of a chance of it having been abused. Hope that helps a little.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
How many kids? The TriStar, even with the open bow, isn't very roomy. If you're hauling a lot of stuff it gets crowded quickly.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 PM
TT Newbie

I have noticed that the Tristar is not super roomy, but it does seem larger because of the open bow, I probably wouldnt have more than 4 people out at a given time. I would hope that the MC would be easier to sell when/if the time comes to upgrade.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1973 MC Skier and 1970 MC Skier
Stick with the MC, as your passion grows and needs change, this will be an easier boat to pass on to the next home. MC holds its value and will be recognizable to folks getting started in the hobby vs a Ski Centurion. The Ski Centurions are beautiful boats with great lines. I just think it might not resale as quick when you are ready to upgrade. Also, the MC will have no wooden stringers to deal with. I would do my homework on how much wood and where in the Centurion. Even some Correct Crafts and Ski Nautiques had wood stringers into the 1990's. Also I would not put much faith in hour meters.....Check the records closely and the overall appearance of the boat. I have seen some boats that have lost a few hundred hours over the years as they changed hands....Sad but true.

Last edited by phickman; 05-17-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X2
I had a 88 Tristar and only kept it for a year. It was terrible in the chop. Water would often come over the bow. Room was very limited in the boat. No storage hardly at all. I would suggest paying a bit more and getting a good 190 or a 205. I upgraded to a Maristar and was sold on the vdrives ever since. Tristar's have a good ski wake but too flat of a bottom for wake boarding or surfing.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Get the MC unless something is considerably better on the Centurion. If you want a true ski boat there are alot of Prostars in that price range.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN